Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Gear: Best purchases

Originally posted by tplife View Post
    That's very nicely crafted gear, but between the gas canister fuel and the stratospheric prices...I'm assuming you have some kind of windscreen arrangement for the stove. I'm saving that link as I'm sure they have something that would look good in our gear collection!
    The ISObutane stuff is kinda expensive - think five bucks for a 250g Lindel valve canister on average - but there are alternatives. There is a South Korean company named Kovea that makes a nice little adapter that allows you to use the one pound propane bottles found in North America. You can also get an adapter by them that allows you to use those really cheap CB canisters that you can find at pretty much any Asian market to the Lindel valve. If stuck with CB I will stack the adapters but it's rarely necessary as that burner plate is a volcano. Seriously, if you use it at sea level and crank it up to full blast you can burn a hole in pretty much every aluminum pot you'd consider bringing along on a car camping trip if you don't pay attention. The BBQ box is so efficient that we almost always use it but when the weather is bad I can vent a couple of the windows in the FlipPac and use the burner plate inside the truck.

The Snow Peak stuff is all very nice and I've never heard anyone say that they didn't like the quality and utility of the stuff they have purchased. The folding fireplaces are really nice, friends have theirs and they are perfect for areas that demand no trace fires. We are heading up to the Portland area in a bit and plan on hitting their brick and mortar store there to pick up one as well as a few other things. The main problem I have with Snow Peak gear is that I like so much of it and allot of times the availability just isn't there as deliveries from Japan take quite awhile. I've been known to become impatient and just order stuff via the Rakuten marketplace shop but the shipping usually beats my wallet up pretty good.

Best wishes,
    The Wanderin' Whitlows
    Best wishes,
    The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Tent camped last night. I have it down to where I only have three things to unload/load from the car.

• Coleman 4 person insta tent - it was way too hot to mess around yesterday afternoon and it truly was up and staked out within 5 minutes and back in the bag this morning within 10 minutes.
      • Coleman cot with a foam mattress - only way my bad hips can be comfortable
      • Vintage Samsonite hardshell suitcase - makes a great gear bag as it slides under the cot, everything fits in it (less the cot and tent), it is weather resistant, and locks.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Because we're in "the zone" here in SoCal I can buy those small butane canisters for as little as $0.40 in 6-packs. We have one of the tabletop stoves that we use occasionally for shabu-shabu type Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese tableside cooking. I think they would be a great alternative for use with the Snow Peak if they're that cost-effective.

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
          WanderinWhitlows, That is interesting what you posted. If you ever have some free time, I hope you'll start a new thread about using the cheap butane canisters found in the asian stores. Those are some cheap canisters but I just don't much about them and your idea of adapting them to isobutane burners sounds very interesting.
          Thread created, hopefully it will help. And Tplife, you have me beat as fifty cents each is the best I can do here. Now I just need to get some of those recipes from you so we can try them out here.

Best wishes,
          The Wanderin' Whitlows
          Last edited by WanderinWhitlows; 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM. Reason: Added a not so sublte "beg" for recipes to my post. ;-)
          Best wishes,
          The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
            [*]Vintage Samsonite hardshell suitcase - makes a great gear bag as it slides under the cot, everything fits in it (less the cot and tent), it is weather resistant, and locks.[/LIST]
            I recently started using one of these !! It keeps my clothes so much more orderly than using a tote or duffel bag. I bring it in my tent and use it as a little "night stand" for my glasses, reading material, etc. I thought a suitcase would be over-done, but it's actually simplified packing for me.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
              I recently started using one of these !! It keeps my clothes so much more orderly than using a tote or duffel bag. I bring it in my tent and use it as a little "night stand" for my glasses, reading material, etc. I thought a suitcase would be over-done, but it's actually simplified packing for me.
              They are great, aren't they? I have them from the train case size up to the big sizes and all picked up for a few dollars each at flea markets and thrift stores. The older Samsonite ones nearly always take the same key, in case you get one without a key. I can lock them up if curious toddler grandkids are around. They use them as seats.

I agree that they are easier to pack than the rectangular rolling carry-on style suitcases or duffel bags. Most of the clamshell style have a divider and I keep clean clothes on one side and dirty clothes and shoes on the other side.

The 14"x9"x7" train cases can be used for tackle boxes, camera cases, or electronic gear, and work well to carry a change of clothes and toiletries into the shower houses. The 19"x15.5" overnight cases can work well to carry laptops. Those are the two sizes I use in the travel trailer as they fit in the overhead compartment and in the wardrobe. I use the bigger size suitcase - 24"x19" - when tent camping to include gear as well as clothes. I have only used the really big 27"x21" size when we camped for a week and it did a great job storing towels and spare blankets - I just kept it under the trailer.

The hard shell suitcases can be tossed in the pickup truck bed and I don't have to worry if it rains on them, and they fit neatly in a backseat or trunk of a car without worrying about stuff getting squished.
              Last edited by actad; 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Thermarest, Dutch Oven, canvas wall tent.

Comment

Working...
                X