• Show
Clear All

• Almost that time....

to start the camping season!!! :D

Re: Almost that time....

omg, I can't wait!!!!

Comment

For me in the northwoods, this marks the end of the camping season.

As the snow melts, everything becomes wet and the ground everywhere turns to cold mud. Soon, the mosquito hatch will begin and no man or beast wants to be outside when that feeding frenzy comes alive. Only the over-eager beginners and the trout fishermen squish into the forest at this time of year. After especially long and cold winters, some of the northern lakes will still have "rotting" ice on them until mid May - too dangerous to walk on to access ice fishing holes.

Assuming you winter camp in the snow, camping season ends from about the last week of March with the beginning of the snow meltdown to about the beginning of June after things dry out. Even June can be punishing here with early summer rains and peak mosquito hatches.

Comment

I'm chomping at the bite with constant Skyping to my lil camping grrlies.
        We've planned our breakfasts and a few dinners together via the wonders of modern communications.
        Also voted on a few day trips.
        This year one of them is officially a teenager and I plan to keep her throughly engaged and away from the mascara and lip gloss carrying giggle crew who congregate in the bathhouses all weekend long, LOL.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

78 days........ *sigh*

Comment

Florida's prime camping time is fall through late spring - though locations depend on hunting regulations. Some good 'hunt camps' fine for camping don't allow camping during season. Same in the National Forests, while other times camping is allowed - fire bans during dry times can restrict open fires.
            Summer is oppressively hot most of the time, and often rainy. Our mosquitos sometimes grow large enough to need to file flightplans....... ;-)
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

We went camping in Monroe, LA in March, and we're planning a trip to Gulf Shores, AL this next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                I'm on my 7th campout since Christmas right now - posting from the campground. Don't let the winter shut you out
                Ditto! I've been lucky to have 4 campouts so far this year. Cold weather = peaceful, quiet campgrounds
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

been 3 times already. a bit cool a couple of nights but great during daytime.

Comment

I envy all of you who've already been out and about. Maybe next year will be different for me.
                    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

went twice already. Just went this last weekend. Was a great time, and yes kind of cool at night but no biggie. Lots of beer to stay warm!

Comment

I am envious of those who are already camping. I would love to do some cold weather camping, but with current job requirements I can only escape in the summer..... Don't get me wrong ~ I completely understand how fortunate I am to have those 8 weeks!!

Comment

My camping season usually don't start until Memorial Day weekend and even then we typically get snowed on one or two times. Once in a great while we are lucky enough to have the weather cooperate and we get to go the 1st or 2nd weekend in May. One year(can't remember the specific year), we actually got to go in April. Of course, that year turned out to be a very bad fire season and the forests got shut down from July until the middle of September. As for now, I'm chomping at the bit to get out camping, but it's still snowing on/off here and the forecast for the next 7 days looks like more snow is on the way. That's life in Big Sky Country - LOL!! Take care everyone...............

Sent via iPad2
                          2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Can't wait to camp, fish perch in the morning, look for morels during the day, late night/real early morning smelt dipping and start all over! If nothing else, I won't go hungry.

Comment

I've got a small trip planned for this weekend myself. It's nothing big, just a trip to a local place with a couple friends. They've never really camped a whole lot so I'm doing a little recruiting. I'm hoping they get hooked on it like I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X