Camping Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Survey

We are a group of mechanical engineering students from Purdue University. We are working on a project for our design class about camping and we would greatly appreciate your input on our survey.

Customer Interest Survey

1.How much equipment do you generally take camping?
    2.How much room is taken up by water or water-related equipment?
    3.What are some issues of camping you wish could be improved?
    4.Is the availability of clean water important to you?
    5.If so,
    a.is such water easily available to you?
    b.Do you have a method for purifying water?
    Suppose that our company has developed a device which can create 3L of water a day.
    6.If the device were human powered (hand crank or bike generator) how much time would you have to spend powering the device?
    7.How much time would you be willing to spend?
    8.Would you use such a device, if one were available?
    9.What would you use the device for?
    10.How much packing room would you allocate for such a device?
    11.How much would you spend on such a device?

Thanks again! :D

Camping Survey

Originally posted by MechaicalEngineering View Post
    We are a group of mechanical engineering students from Purdue University. We are working on a project for our design class about camping and we would greatly appreciate your input on our survey.

Customer Interest Survey

1.How much equipment do you generally take camping?
    2.How much room is taken up by water or water-related equipment?
    3.What are some issues of camping you wish could be improved?
    4.Is the availability of clean water important to you?
    5.If so,
    a.is such water easily available to you?
    b.Do you have a method for purifying water?
    Suppose that our company has developed a device which can create 3L of water a day.
    6.If the device were human powered (hand crank or bike generator) how much time would you have to spend powering the device?
    7.How much time would you be willing to spend?
    8.Would you use such a device, if one were available?
    9.What would you use the device for?
    10.How much packing room would you allocate for such a device?
    11.How much would you spend on such a device?

Thanks again! :D
    Howdy ME,
    That's a plenty questions! So I'll begin with question one, we take it all plus a 17' tandem kayak atop our grand. When I say all, I mean as much as we have room for, we organize it tightly so we can camp as comfortably as we can...it differs for every camping family. With us it is just I and my bride of 30 some years. For cooking we take "Big Gas Grill" for tents we carry three and two separate shelters for over the table and in front of one of the tents. You should look at my camping photos of my gear to get some idea. For water we take a reliance 4 gallon for fresh water and a five gallon can for washing dishes and the like. We have camped in organized places as well as primitive sites and have always had enough water for us. We use water for coffee, tea and refreshment. We never take soda pop, that space is reserved for wine. If I was backpacking and thirty years younger then a water purifier would be a good thing to have. But I haven't backpacked in thirty years, except to say I hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim in five days when I turned 50 and I'm not ever going to do something that stupid again. So all in all, I'm no help to you, but thanks for asking. The one item I would improve on is a device that measures the exact amount of air needed to blow up a queen-sized 18" off the ground mattress and a true release valve for over filling one if you do by accident.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I'm at the other end of the spectrum - as I generally camp by motorcycle. Space is at a premium, as is weight - though not so bad as for backpacking.
      We usually camp at public campgrounds, so water isn't really an issue. I can carry enough to get me by for an overnighter in the boonies. I do have a pump-action filter if I camp along a river, stream or lake - but haven't actually used it yet. Hopefully this coming spring I will do that.
      As my filter unit is aging, I am looking at replacing it with a newer/better model. I would likely be willing to pay $75 or so for a good one.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
      X