Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it OK to stack air mattresses?

Originally posted by tplife View Post
    Tplife is from the heart of the Pine Barrens Wilderness of southern New Jersey and has over 150 miles of backpacking experience on the Appalachian Trail.

"Almost everything I ever learned was taught to me by Colin Fletcher"
    Always wanted to hike the Appalactian trail but feet and legs will not allow it. Younger age Military service time limits prevented now Cripple old bones prevents it.

Comment

I bought the oversize cot--the Alaskan Guide version--from Cabelas. I use it with a 4" memory foam topper and it sleeps like a dream. I prefer that arrangement to an air mattress, but if I had just purchased a good air mattress, I would use it until it died, and then switch to the memory foam.

I also don't camp in the winter, and if it's cold, I use a small electric space heater in my van to hold night-time temps around 55-60 degrees, the same temps I have at home for winter sleeping.

Comment

Winter is the best time for camping in Florida - temps get down to the high teens and low twenties on occasion - no problems with air mattress and a good sleeping bag. Just put a foam pad under the air mattress. I sleep very comfy. Summer is just too hot and muggy for comfort. Winter camping also means fewer bugs.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I always hate trying to get out of a half deflated air mattress and crawling out of a low tent, but hey.. that's "roughing" it. I can't imagine having to double up and having to deal with 2 deflated mattresses every morning. I agree that air mattresses isn't really considered a camping essential to the pros and I can see why. I might consider trying to sleep on a mat when I go to Yosemite in June, but I always worry that it won't be comfortable enough.

Comment

With a back like mine, yeah, the air mattress is definitely an essential. A mat or pad alone will not cut it. Have had two 'self-deflator' pads blow out on me. My big twin-size thick air matress and two separate small inflatables are each a few years old now, and have never failed. I go with what works for me, through years of direct experience. And I am no lightweight!
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by teddybear8 View Post
              I always hate trying to get out of a half deflated air mattress and crawling out of a low tent, but hey.. that's "roughing" it. I can't imagine having to double up and having to deal with 2 deflated mattresses every morning. I agree that air mattresses isn't really considered a camping essential to the pros and I can see why. I might consider trying to sleep on a mat when I go to Yosemite in June, but I always worry that it won't be comfortable enough.
              I'm guessing many American pioneers camped with beds (why haul 'em across the continent?)..certainly Napoleon (and prolly his opponent, the Duke of Wellington) did. Hey, I can go that far back to find camping gear:D.

Am wondering how the doubled air mattress thunk is working though.
              Hope the OP tells us about it.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

as BigDog I would have a heck of a time getting off the ground. Many years ago I could sleep on a steel deck and sliding from one side to the other in rough seas, But then I was pain free and still in younger years of my life. But age, rough seas has taken it toll on the body. Lucky I can even go camping so for some Airbed or Cot is essential tools or a crane.

And a heater not going to help get off the ground either. Stay warm yes but getting up.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeycoutts View Post
                  We just got back from our very first camping trip with 3 small kids. Everything went well and we'll definitely be doing more camping in the future.

There are a few products I now realize that I need for future camping trips and one of them is raised air mattresses. It was just too hard to get down and back up off of the 2 low air mattresses that I just bought.

But since I just bought and used them, I hate to never use them again and start all over by buying 2 raised queen mattresses. I was thinking maybe I could stack the 2 low ones I have and then only have to buy one raised one....?
                  That sounds like a good idea. I'm getting to old to sleep on the hard ground, makes my bones hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeycoutts View Post
                    We just got back from our very first camping trip with 3 small kids. Everything went well and we'll definitely be doing more camping in the future.

There are a few products I now realize that I need for future camping trips and one of them is raised air mattresses. It was just too hard to get down and back up off of the 2 low air mattresses that I just bought.

But since I just bought and used them, I hate to never use them again and start all over by buying 2 raised queen mattresses. I was thinking maybe I could stack the 2 low ones I have and then only have to buy one raised one....?
                    What a great idea to keep off the hard ground.

Comment

Working...
                    X