Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last minute ideas for camping in the Sierras for Memorial Day Weekend

All,
    Anyone have any good / great ideas for camping this upcoming weekend? We're in Sacramento and didn't make plans yet. Lots of places that take reservations are booked and I don't relish the idea of hunting around for a first come first serve site. Anyone have an idea they want to throw out? I was thinking somewhere up highway 50. We're open to driving a little ways in any direction. Thanks in advance.

michael

Re: Last minute ideas for camping in the Sierras for Memorial Day Weekend

East on I-80 to Auburn then NE on 49. As stated, most if not all CG will be booked solid, but if one was to leave early in the week, say no latter than this Wednesday, most campgrounds in any National Forest have to keep a number of sites open for walk-ins. When we lived in Reno we were always found a walk-in and never made reservations and we always left early in the week before the onslaught of prepared pilgrims made there trips into the northern sierra! Even CGs around Lake Tahoe if they are not private CGs will have a few sites as walk-ins, but those are first come first served. It's a gamble. If you have to wait until Thursday or Friday one maybe out of luck! Good luck!

Might be easier, if one was a backpacker & just needed a trailhead to go too.....
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-18-2013, 10:41 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: Last minute ideas for camping in the Sierras for Memorial Day Weekend

Thanks for the ideas guys and sorry for the delay. We ended up going over to Napa instead (Bothe State Park). The canoeing / kayaking to a beach is a great idea. I'll have to look into that for the next trip. Thanks again for the responses.

Comment

Working...
      X