Last Minute Packing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Minute Packing

We are leaving for Kings Canyon National Park for a group camping trip and I tell you it's been more fun to start adding stuff last minute. My boys rolled out of bed at 8 AM (We were supposed to leave at 5 AM). At least we have a target time.

We have more stuff packed on this 4 day trip than we do on our 3 week camping trips. 2 coolers bursting with food. Home made ginger ale that has a slight kick-I cannot drive after 1 bottle. I tasted it this morning and could not believe it. It brewed for only 4 days. Natural airborne yeast combined with unprocessed sugar makes one heck of a brew.

I get a text at 8 AM telling me that our campsite is closed until July. No big deal. Go online and find that individual sites are closed, but group sites are open. This means we have the entire campground to ourselves. Talk about a bonus! Privacy.

We are trying to figure out what we forgot. So much stuff that I cannot go back and look. If we don't have it, there is always a Walmart withing 100 miles. Twenty some years ago, I drove out to Arizona to visit my buddy Dan from college and I realized that I forgot my sleeping bag when I was 200 miles from home. It was February and very cold. I was going to sleep in the back of my truck on the way out. I drove all the way to Prescott without sleeping. No big deal-I borrowed a bag from buddy Dan when I arrived and shipped it back to him.

Even though we have a master checklist, we always forget something. Almost everything we take are luxuries. I have never forgot a stove, cook kit, cooler, or food.

It's 819 and I wonder if we will ever leave. My honey is upstairs doing something. The boys are quarreling over washing the remaining 2 or 3 dishes and pots and pans.

An me? I am busy typing away on my keyboard and doing what I really love to do-write about camping. The trouble is that you actually have to go camping to write about it. With that said, I AM HITTING DA ROAD!

I will take lots of photos to share of our camping blunders and fun.

Mark
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Last Minute Packing

Have fun out there and we'll be looking forward to the pics and after story.
    Oh and I'm gonna need that ginger ale recipe if ya feel like giving it up. i make ginger syrup but haven't done the fermented stuff.
    Drive safe and may the rain not touch youse!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

hope he doesnt forget his camera
      like to see some pics

Comment

Have a safe and rewarding trip.

Comment

If you haven't experienced it yet, home-meade soda will explode eventually unless you refrigerate it.

next time, control the process: 1/4 teaspoon per quart of sweetend water (kool-aid, ginger/sugar, etc). you can use brewer champagne yeast or even bread baking yeast, but brewers yeast has a cleaner palette. Do NOT use LAGER beer yeast. You can use Ale yeast in a pinch. Natural airborne yeast is unpredictable and can have funky taste, cloudiness, etc

Mix up your kool-aide or whatever, add the yeast, mix, put into the bottles right away and cap immediately.

Put in plastic cola bottles (not water bottles and not glass!)

Store for 3 days maximum at room temperature! If they store for more than three days at room temperature, they can explode. The bottles will swell and get hard from the CO2 pressure. Put them in the fridge to stop the yeast.

This method will give you carbonated drinks for cheap and fun without the alchohol and with predictable results
          Last edited by Mike; 06-08-2013, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X