Dutch ovens... how many, size, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch ovens... how many, size, etc.

I've been thinking about getting a dutch oven because they are sort of fun to cook in and I have had some great stuff on campouts with food cooked in a dutch oven (That other people have had)

Initial thought was to get 2 ... 1 medium size and 1 small so that the main one would be for a main meal (breakfast / dinner) and the smaller would be used for a cobbler or something similar. The question though is how 'big' or small would you recommend for say 1 being the entree and 1 being the dessert or side dishes?

Would you say a 2 qt and 6 qt or 8qt/4qt? Just examples.. but not really good at judging how much food one would cook up for the different sizes... Wondering what people have used to work best for their experiences...

Re: Dutch ovens... how many, size, etc.

How many people do ya anticipate cooking for on a regular basis?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

In my case I will probably have anywhere from a couple of people up to 8 people. Depending on who all we drag out.. :-) I had been doing some internet searches and something else pointed to the 12 inch size being the better size to use and some suggest getting a trivet to use for biscuits, etc so as not to burn. And for the infrequent camper I am thinking 6 quart would be good... just need to figure out the side dish / dessert... I really like cobbler that I have had from dutch ovens, but it would be good regardless where it came from, so I think 6 quart and then maybe even a 2 quart would be fine? I could almost get by with one, but having two would cut out having to cook one meal, clean it before I could start the other one...

Comment

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
        I've been thinking about getting a dutch oven because they are sort of fun to cook in and I have had some great stuff on campouts with food cooked in a dutch oven (That other people have had)

Initial thought was to get 2 ... 1 medium size and 1 small so that the main one would be for a main meal (breakfast / dinner) and the smaller would be used for a cobbler or something similar. The question though is how 'big' or small would you recommend for say 1 being the entree and 1 being the dessert or side dishes?

Would you say a 2 qt and 6 qt or 8qt/4qt? Just examples.. but not really good at judging how much food one would cook up for the different sizes... Wondering what people have used to work best for their experiences...
        Looking at the pots, and gauging portions........were it me, I'd prolly get a 2 qt(size 8) and an 6 qt (12). That would cover most any crowd up to 6 or possibly 8 people. The 8 qt is what I use to make stock or serve a one meal dish like say a stew for 10 to 12 people.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

If I were planning on using it to cook directly over a fire, it would be a covered pan that would be large enough for the biggest dish I'd use it for - you can of course put a smaller batch in a large pan. This is something to consider as cast iron weighs a ton! I don't like to cook directly over the fire with this method, so I stick with stainless nesting cooking gear from Mirro (or GSI or whoever). If you don't plan on cooking directly over the fire, consider that this month's Consumer Reports found that cast iron cooking equipment had poor heat distribution and was not a good choice for general use. That and the weight are why my cast-iron frying pans hang inside the garage for outdoor fish frying duty and GSI Pinnacle pans took their place.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

@tplife... really interesting about the report because historically gas stove and cast iron has always been the most even way to heat food as opposed to what happened with my 'chef' brother trying to cook on my ceramic electric stove and sometimes having an issue with burning stuff. Even my $700+ outdoor Gas grill utilizes cast iron for grates versus stainless steel which is supposed to be the best for evenly heating items although supposedly may not last as long as the stainless steel. the seasoning and other aspects may make cast iron more of a hassle, but I think it also adds to the flavor.

Comment

Off Topic, but this the best thing for a dutch oven. I have quit using charcoal, since we are usually under open bans where charcoal is not permitted.
              http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Dutc...utch+oven+dome
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by kcscout View Post
                @tplife... really interesting about the report because historically gas stove and cast iron has always been the most even way to heat food as opposed to what happened with my 'chef' brother trying to cook on my ceramic electric stove and sometimes having an issue with burning stuff. Even my $700+ outdoor Gas grill utilizes cast iron for grates versus stainless steel which is supposed to be the best for evenly heating items although supposedly may not last as long as the stainless steel. the seasoning and other aspects may make cast iron more of a hassle, but I think it also adds to the flavor.
                I hear you there but that history is from the pre-aluminum era. I was a chef long ago before becoming a chemist, but that's "another story"! Consider CU's well-equipped science lab and their reviews. We added their top-rated CharBroil Tru-Infrared last June and now, having had an infrared grill, I'll never go back to the "old-school" types. Much like when I moved on from lead-acid batteries to AGM versions, I "saw the light"! I am glad you have had favorable results with your cast iron gear, but for me considering ultralight gear toting, it's not worth it in my case.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I have the nesting light weight stuff for backpacking. But in my truck camping I always take/have my bin of cast irons. I use a 12" most times for the dutch oven. I carry a 10" pan and two fajita pans too. This fits the bill for all I care to cook.

Also, I am partial Lodge brand. I have a off brand 10" that is nowhere in the same class.

Consumer Reports can have my irons, right after the feds take my irons.

Comment

I would suggest that you go with a 12 inch and either a 12 inch deep or a 10 inch. What you cook and how many people you are cooking for will determine what you need but a regular 12 and a deep 12 will probably give you the best versatility. If you get taken up by dutch oven cooking you can end up with a bunch of options and gear just for cooking. 2 or 3 times a year a few of my friends and I get together and really do some dutch oven cooking. It is a bug that bit us when we were Scout leaders and some of us got carried away with it ,but it makes for some fun times.Check out these links just to see what real dutch oven chefs get themselves into.
                    http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch,
                    http://dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.ceedubs.com/,
                    http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/index.html,
                    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/beattie47.html
                    Last edited by HogSnapper; 06-29-2013, 01:26 AM. Reason: repaired broken links

Comment

Hello Hikenhunter,
                      I agree that the first pot should be a 12 in deep. Then a 10 in. I have cooked for up to 45 people over a fire and have acquired a pile of pots over 35 years of cooking with DOs. People have even started to give me old family pots they don't use. The current inventory is a 14, two 12, two 10, and an 8.

Comment

Working...
                      X