Bad neighbors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad neighbors

I just spent four days in camping hell. This is the last week of June which is the week before crazy week - the fourth of July weekend.

I brought my five year old grandson, so thought it would be easier to camp at a developed campsite rather than attempting rustic camping.

I went to Boot Lake campground in Nicolet National Forest in Northeast Wisconsin. This is a pretty small campsite with 35 non-electric sites. About half of the sites are right on the water, so it can be a nice place if your timing is right.

This week the timing was wrong. Of course, the campsite was completely full as could be expectedl. Because I came midweek, I was able to get a site. Whew, what a mess. Cars going round and round bumper to bumper looking for a site like sharks swimming around looking for prey.

The site in front of us had a large over-loaded group of about twelve rich-kid twenty something drunks. THey were up all night drinking and shouting and partying.

The site next to us had a family with a colicky baby that the mother just abandoned in the basonet in the hot sun while the kid would whail and screech for hours at a time. In fact, I was pulling into the site when the previous campers were leaving. They warned me on their way out that they were leaving early because of the screaming kid next door. I should have headed their warning.

On the other side of camp was a group of hillbillies that kept their big loud old-school clanky rat-a-tat-tat-tat generator going all day and all night. I actually went to their site to say something, but they looked like a bad bunch, so I thought the better part of wisdom was to leave them alone. Not unexpectedly, perhaps, they were burning mounds of plastic and paper garbage as if they brought their garbage bags from home and were trying to incinerate it at camp. The whole area stunk like smoldering polyethene.

During the day, the rich-kid twenty something drunks were ripping up the lake with their motor boats and jet skis. They nearly swamped a couple of canoes. I was able to keep our canoe upright, but other canoeists were clearly terrified and got off the lake fast. The boat ramp was just a steady stream of boats in and out.

Of course, massive fireworks were going off all day - not just firecrackers and sparklers, but explosives that I could feel the percussion from the explosion. WHUOOUUPPP

You know, I am the kind of guy who thinks that a bad day of camping is better than a good day of working, but this time, I don't think so. What a t***** of a weekend.

What a madhouse. From now on, in summer, I am staying away from developed campsites and sticking to the backcountry.
    Last edited by HogSnapper; 07-01-2013, 04:11 AM. Reason: bleeped it to keep it family friendly

Re: Bad neighbors

I feel your pain. Here in sunny Florida June is the WORST time to use the 'family' campgrounds.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I too feel your pain! Organized family campgrounds are either a hit or miss! One never knows if you'll have good neighbors or bad! Thanks for your report Mike! Rest assured that through it all your grandson will still treasure the time you spent with him! If it were I in your place I think I would have cut that campout short too!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Every campout is, indeed, an adventure!
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Since all I have are developed campsites, too many week-ends like that are why I don't camp in the summer ...
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Isnt the national forest have the same rules? US Forest should all have same rules. IF so as for the hillbillies generator was illegal to run, I know it is at the one I been camping at. All have a quiet time of 10PM and the abandon Kid Child abuse, all could been handle with a quiet phone call.

Comment

National Forests do not always have the same rules. Their rules are designed for the particular area in which they are found. East differs from west. It is best to check with regional office of the national forest where one might want to go and camp.

Concerning the child abuse neglect, most organized campgrounds(cgs) have a host that is in-charge of collecting camping fees, maintaining peace, and cleaning the restrooms on a daily basis. From the way Mike explained it, the cg that he camped at didn't seem to have a host. The cg host usually has immediate contact with the local police & can request their support if the host needs their assistance. But then again, one never knows if the host of a cg is in good standing with local authorities or not and also there may be no local authority to police a given area. The cg that Mike camped at probably has the reputation of being a party site, and Mike unawares decided to give that spot a try. Unfortunately, I too have had a similar expertise when I lived in Las Vegas and chose to camp at Lake Mead at Temple Bar CG. There was no host, but an "iron ranger" for collecting fees. The park service ranger only drove through the cg once every morning at 7:30 AM and it was impossible to get the park rangers' after hours when much of the partying was done. Needless to say, those rowdy campers only stayed through the weekend and we stayed the entire following week and had a great quiet campout!
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Renoxderertfox got it right. This campground only had a part-time ranger that came around only once ( in the morning) to make sure people had paid their fee

My phone didn't get any reception, so it was like cowboy days with campers left to fend for themselves

Comment

Ok on the rules. Andrews they came and cleaned the restroom Friday AM and collected the money out of the Iron Ranger deal then. And no cell service. But I did go into town once or twice.

Comment

We stayed at a packed state park campground on the 4th of July weekend. Got in late on the 4th after work, and in pouring down rain. Teenage boy next door came over and asked if he could help us set up.

Plenty of kids all over, and it was great. Our campsite was next to the playground. Kids cut through the site, but that gave me more opportunities to say hi. I really enjoy watching kids camping and the interaction with their parents - you can tell that they are building lasting memories. I got on my kick scooter and joined in on the biking and scooting around the campground.

There was one set of bad neighbors who got into a screaming fit. Law enforcement quickly shut that down, so the zero tolerance was a plus.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

That sounds like a nightmare of an experience. I have stayed at private, state park and national forest campgrounds. I guess all national forest campgrounds are different, but the ones that are the best have a constant ranger/host presence and they really are good about keeping any trouble out. Generators are only allowed to run for two hours at a time and only during the day. The lake only allows canoes, no motor boats, quiet time begins at 10 pm. I've never had a problem. I do not enjoy the private campgrounds I've stayed at. The sites are not well maintained, they are almost literally on top of each other and they are noisy. That being said, they have their place and have lots of fun activities for kids. Sorry to hear you had such a lousy experience.

Comment

We had our fair share of stupidity for the 4th. Seems things go in 3's so here we go.
                        1) The wife wanted to watch the fireworks for the Super Target parking lot. Fine. We go, its full as well as the Home depot that is just to the north. So the Longmont Cops, in their infinite wisdom, decide to close down the south exits of the parking lots and send all the target traffic towards the north into the Home depot crowds. After 30 minutes of just sitting there, everyone in both parking lots, starts laying on their horns. Finally the police wise up and open the exits. The entire time, there was no cars on the street to the south. Poor traffic management.
                        2)We are under a county fire ban and a Forest Service Stage 1 fire restriction ban. So as we are driving up the mountain, my boy say's "Dad, there is a fire up there." I said "No, its probably just the town of Ward setting off some fireworks." As we turned the corner, there were huge flames. It was a fire. So I pulled into a local restaurant/bar to call 911. I told the 911 operator that I had just came through the town of Ward and I had seen a fire. The operator said they were aware of the fire and it was ok. Seems the town of Ward was having a bonfire, burning a slash pile. Hello??? In case you haven't heard, we have about 6 wildfires going here in Colorado. Plus county fire bans, USFS fire restrictions. I can't have a campfire or discharge a firearm ($500 fine) but the town of Ward can have a huge bonfire on the next ridge??? Somebody is an idiot.
                        3) So we get to our campsite at about 11:30. We set up earlier that day, and nothing is disturbed. Good. Hang out with the boy for a few and head to bed. 2am. Someone decides to drive within 10' of my (17 year old) sons tent and set up within 100'of us. 17 dispersed camping spots, only 2 taken and these idiots want to setup, and make a new spot, within 100' of us. So I walked over to my son's tent and made sure he was ok, then went and told the idiots to move. Told them there were 15 other empty spots they could camp in, and they were not going to camp within 100' of us. So they loaded up and drove around for 20 minutes trying to pick a spot. I am sure when that story gets told I am the a$$.
                        So other than those 3 incidents and the 7 rain showers it was an awesome 5 day 4 night trip.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I stayed at a campground last year. The people next to me had to have a spot right on the beach and right by the playground. Thing is they didn't have kids. They went as far as to rope off their entire site to prevent the kids from walking through their site to the playground. I was right next to them and we didn't have any young ones with us but I didn't mind the kids walking past me. I just thought those people should've picked a site that wasn't so close to the playground is they didn't want the kids around.

Comment

Roping off a site? That is too funny. Many times when I go camping in a known place of crowds, I take fun camp games with me, because I know most people forget things or are not to experienced at the away from the home thing. Many times I have let neighbor campers borrow games, for there bored kids or themselves. From bean bag toss games, cards to horse shoes. Many times at the camps, I am painting or tying flies and this things always attract attention. People do walk up to see. I always wave at passersby and found if you have a stay away attitude, you cause yourself more invasion.

I have had bad neighbors and in my 20's I am sure I was a bad neighbor. I don't judge and don't let people bother me. If I am in the mood for seclusion, I take the 4x4 and my quads (as in leg muscles) to a place the family trickster can't get too. If you have a brain and want a little peace and quiet, family campgrounds and state campground and peak season don't mix. By the time winter trapping camp is done, I welcome the socializing.

Comment

BTW, I wasn't in a campground, I was dispersed camping. The section of land where I disperse camp is about 1,100 acres. And there was me and someone else in the whole area. Then the 3rd person shows up at 2 am and wants to set up right next to me. Not cool.
                              Nights camped in 2019: 24
                              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                              X