Another Camping Season Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Camping Season Ends

Well, I got the trailer all cleaned out, winterized, & put in storage yesterday. The snow has showed up a bit early this year, so my camping season is over. I got an early start this year(April) & managed to spend 58 nights in the trailer. A new personal record for me. Not to bad for our short Montana season. The new 5th-wheel toy hauler has been a great investment that we've just fallen in love with. I'll still be lurking around the forum now and then making myself jealous by reading posts of the ones lucky enough to still be camping. Happy camping to everyone & stay safe!!

By the way, here's a pic of the weather we're getting already. Looks like hardwater fishing may arrive a little early this year. Take care all.....SpitzoMT
    2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Re: Another Camping Season Ends

Wow, you camped 54 days this summer. That is astounding. You are lucky.

In Wisconsin we are just starting the best camping season of all which is autumn. Beautiful colors, no bugs, cool temperatures

The come the snow and that is the time for ski camping. I probably camp more days in winter than summer

Around here, the only time I don't like camping is springtime when it is wet from the thaw.

Comment

I agree with Mike. We wait all year for fall to arrive. Just finished a 5 day canoe trip. Week after next I will headed up to Davis Lake, CA to camp and fish for large rainbows. Headed over to the wine country with the trailer in early November. Maybe a trip to Death Valley during the winter. Last year we had a week long canoe trip in February. Especially with a trailer, the season can be extended for as long as you want it to.

I would encourage anyone that camps a lot not to put the trailer away because it is Oct 1. I winterized the plumbing but it is no big deal to use it and put some anti-freeze back in the system.

Comment

As one persons camping ends another starts. Down here (FL.) it's the start for us. Due to some unfortunate appointments, we won't get started till about Nov. 1, but will go at least one week a month till May. Have you had the Indian Summer yet in Montana? I lived there for awhile, and looked forward to it. Y'all have a great fall and winter. We'll be thinking about ya. Happy camping.
        Nights camping in 2013-----12
        Nights camping in 2014----- 4
        Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Yep, Fall is best camping season in sunny Florida too. Bring that TT down south, and you can triple your days in it! :-)
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I'm on board for Florida, but the BEST camping season in Florida is July/August: Sweet oysters, fat pink shrimp, and all the longans you can pick & eat! Even better, the folks who can't handle the weather are long gone and you have the place all to yourself!

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              I'm on board for Florida, but the BEST camping season in Florida is July/August: Sweet oysters, fat pink shrimp, and all the longans you can pick & eat! Even better, the folks who can't handle the weather are long gone and you have the place all to yourself!

Holy Smokes, TPlife, who is that holding the grapes in the pic?

Comment

Oh that's just the wife Mike, had to drive for hours to Ft. Pierce to get to those Longan groves! We love Florida, and always get down to the Keys as well, here she is in a favorite haunt in Bahia Honda SP:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thats your wife?

Well done sir!
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Winter is another reason I went back to tent camping. It was always my favorite time to go camping, but the pop up wasn't too much fun when it came to negotiating steep hills and tight turns in two feet of snow. I'm hoping to be able to put up some pictures this year from a snow blanketed Western Maryland!

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      Thats your wife?

Well done sir!
                      I'll second that emotion. TPlife has it made. Apparently, his wife likes to camp too! Where do you find that kind of woman.

One question, TPlife... does she fish and bait her own hooks too? If yes, you officially gave up the right to complain about anything... ever.

Comment

Hey SM!
                        Been chatting with a friend in SD. Lot of livestock lost her way:(.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                          Hey SM!
                          Been chatting with a friend in SD. Lot of livestock lost her way:(.
                          Hey NYCgrrl - Yes, that was some devastating weather they received - I've heard reports of 5 to 8 feet of snow in some areas - My friend said he saw a picture where the snow was about 1 foot from touching the eaves of a house - Mother Nature can certainly be destructive - Take care.....!!

Sent via iPad2
                          2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

+1 - another cold weather camper here! I don't like camping in the summer: too hot, too buggy, too noisy, too crowded. Now I get too enjoy the serenity, peace & quiet, and clear nights to see the stars. From practice, I know I can keep cuddly warm down to at least 25 degrees (though getting out of the tent in the morning with sub-freezing temps is a tough one.)
                            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

The list I came up with in favor of Winter over Summer camping:
                              • No dust
                              • No bugs
                              • No crowds
                              • No buying ice every 10 minutes
                              • You don't smell
                              • Your friends don't smell
                              • BIG fires
                              • Great scenery in the snow

Comment

Working...
                              X