What do you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you take?

Prompted by Mike posting about welder's gloves, I got to wondering what else people take camping that most people probably don't. I'm always looking for new gadgets that I didn't know I couldn't live without

Here are some of my indispensibles:

Swiss Champ knife from Victorinox. Multifunction including "the splinter kit" - a straight pin, a magnifying glass and tweezers. The wood saw is surprisingly sharp and I've been surprised at how many times I've wanted a pen

Mini Blowtorch. Starts fires easily, melts the ends of poly rope and paracord. Also a cigarette lighter that no one can pocket "accidently".

What-a-Saw folding bow saw. Three blades. Traditional blade for sawing logs, a smaller toothed wood blade and a metal blade.

Mini Vise Grips. Among other things, great for cutting and bending coat hangers to make hooks for hanging lanterns, tools, utensils etc. and helping to pull out a tough tent peg.

Hand Mattock. Trenching for rain runoff and "bathroom work"

Last edited by MacGyver; 11-07-2013, 04:38 AM.

Re: What do you take?

As an old retired woodworker I was always in need of extra hands, clamps solved the problem. When camping I always have a few spring and other clamps with me. 16 penny nails help keep the indoor/outdoor carpet down. A single flint welder’s striker is great for lighting the stove or torch. I have a friend who brings a chain saw. I carry a good bow saw, a couple of wood wedges, Estwing hatchet, and a 5# sledge hammer. I use Monk Ind 12” tent stakes for my Kodiak tent, it needs 18 total, I use knee pads while I’m driving the stakes in, and my knees thank me. I always cook a few meals in a Dutch Oven, depending on the size of the group, an 8” to 16”. I also bring a portable battery power rotisserie for cooking chicken or roast over the fire.
    I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

Too much stuff. For a longer trip like a week of hunting in tough conditions, I bring that kind of stuff. For a couple of days in mild weather I don't make lists and don't bring much.

Comment

I camp in a large tent with a wood burning stove and we stay in the same place for 3 up to 7 days at a time. So with this said I bring a 18" chain saw and a 12lbs splitter. When we camp in the winter we can go through a lot of wood and if we had to cut it with a hand saw we would never have enough to keep warm. I also need to say that here in my area is a National Forest area and you can't bring any wood in with you ( except boards from a hardware store ) so you have to get what you can out in the woods.

Comment

One of my guitars is always with me when I car camp. Keeps the neighbors at a respectful distance ;-D
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I added a tarp to my camping gear this year. 10x20 size. Hang it from some trees and it makes great sun/shade protection.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

We tote a 42-pound Optima AGM house battery to power our 200W Kenwood/Polk sound system, LED programmable special-effects lighting, and converter, inverter to power a host of charging and other gear as needed. Three Coleman lantern stands to light up our campsite since here in Cali you can't touch a tree, bush, or blade of grass anywhere anymore. Other than that, we look like any other campsite out there...

Typical outing of the extended gang and hangers-on:

Last edited by tplife; 11-08-2013, 09:26 PM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Cool pic, TPlife. I have the same tackle box and Eureka tent. You are lucky to have all those kids to camp with. That is a lot of good energy to be around

Comment

I have a list... a very long list. Camping with three girls can be a lot of work.

Comment

A good handgun..... because you just never know.
                    A Marbles Safety Axe - actually a light-weight hatchet with blade guard, perfect for backpack or motorcycle camping. Great for making kindling.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X