anyone tried cattails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone tried cattails?

i was watching tv show yesterday and he ate cattails while out in the woods,
    never thought about it,
    where i camp is lots of swamp, with lots of cattails,
    i like to try wild edibles and cattails looks like a pretty safe edible to try

http://www.eattheweeds.com/cattails-a-survival-dinner/

Re: anyone tried cattails?

I've made citronella torches out of them, but never tried eating them.

Comment

Not wanting for food in the swamps, we would cut the mature stalks and dry them out. After about a week we'd light the tips and they will smoke profusely for quite some time, until they burn down. These are called "punks" in the Pine Barrens. My children have all experienced amusement at this display of "odd knowledge".
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Yes, I have eaten cat tails in several preparations. One is worse than the other, but both God awful.

The most edible is to grab the stalks from the center and pull it out. At the bottom, just like a blade of gr**** is a soft white section maybe 1/2" at the bottom. It looks a little like a heart of palm. I have boiled these and eaten them. The younger cat tails are better than old tough ones. All varieties taste yucky, icky poo-poo. I suppose if you were starving you might eat them, but you would have to be really hungry.

The other method I tried straight out of a survival book was to mix the cotton-like fuzz with water to mak a kind of dough and then bake. This attempt convinced me that many things written by survival book authors have never actually been attempted by the authors as this recipe is completely non-edible

Comment

No, but I haven't tried eating ragweed either so what do I know.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Never tried them. Nor have I tried Bugs either but heard many survived eating Bugs. Kinda gross me out though..

Comment

Originally posted by Coastie View Post
              Never tried them. Nor have I tried Bugs either but heard many survived eating Bugs. Kinda gross me out though..
              I have eaten bugs in the jungles of SE Asia. I was staying with the mountain people and you ate what there was to eat which included insects, snakes, and anything they could hunt or find
              Last edited by Mike; 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I've eaten them many times. Just like Mike's picture and description.. pull the young shoots up and peel off the leaves leaving the tender white core. I eat them raw. Not icky at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I have eaten bugs in the jungles of SE Asia. I was staying with the mountain people and you ate what there was to eat which included insects, snakes, and anything they could hunt or find
                  I love America. We don't have to eat bugs.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

I've never eaten them but I once had a pit bull that loved them! We would take him out for runs near a pond that was surrounded by cattails. Lacking something to throw for him to retrieve (yes, our pit bull thought he was retriever :P) I picked the top off a cattail and threw that for him. He fetched it, brought it back, dropped it at my feet and proceeded to tear into it (OK, maybe he was a pit bull, afterall). Then the cattail kinda exploded in his face. When I called his name, he looked up at me and the cattail fluff was covering his face! He looked like a goofy cartoon of a rabid dog. :P :D

After that, we made a habit of using cattails as his fetching toys. He got a kick out of exploding them and we got a kick out of his face covered in fluff.

I'm sorry, I know that story wasn't exactly on topic. I just couldn't help reminiscing about that wonderful dog. :embarrassed:

Comment

Working...
                    X