I am thinking of starting a vlog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking of starting a vlog

Somewhere along the line I ran across a youtube channel called Chris Travels which is basically a guy that decided it would be a good idea to travel and the way he does much of it is by living full time in a conversion van. I think some of you would like it so here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylerdurdeno9/playlists

Anyway, it has got me thinking that I might like to do a vlog of my own. I just don't know if my life is interesting enough.

I am basically going through a mid life crisis and it has me wanting to do a lot of different things like learning to play guitar (with Rocksmith as the teacher), lose weight, start working out, grow out my hair, get back into camping, home remodeling projects, etc. I feel like it is a natural for me as I love to talk.

What say you guys? Am I just being narcissistic?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: I am thinking of starting a vlog

I say go for it. I'll even volunteer to be your first and greatest heckler :p
    Seriously... why not? The worst that could happen would be that it doesn't go how you want it to and you just stop posting to it.

Comment

I have been watching Chris Travels and others doing the 'van dwelling' thing. It's an appealing life style for many reasons. I have my own van I will be converting soon into a Class B - got mechanical issues to fix first. I like the van camping thing, and would like to eventually go 'full time' once I retire. That might be in less than two years, if all goes well. I cruise the various RV and camping forums, as well as the various Youtube sites and videos. Making a spreadsheet to lay out what needs done to the van, and seeing what the options are for comms - cell phone, online, etc while on the road. Not having an unlimited budget means making smart choices. Got to figure out some ways of making money on the road too, to augment retirement funds, and SS. It's not as 'free and easy' and some folks think!

Also check out the Yahoo site "Vandwellers". Lots of pics and ideas to glean there!
      Another good website is "Cheaprvliving_dot_com".
      Last edited by Bigdog57; 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I love a good Youtube series! Sadly most of the Youtube stuff I come across is guys talking about what they just bought and the accessories they are going to buy for the item. I recently was looking at basic off grid solar systems and went to Youtube just to visualize the setups, I know a solar system is a pretty static setup, but people just shared videos of them unboxing stuff, not mounting panels or running wires, the actual project. The people who share videos of them breifly explaining a project, then actually show the project in motion are enjoyable. Go for it. :cool:
        sigpic

Comment

Some of the better Youtubers showing them actually doing their mods are:

'Rickvanman' from England.

"RWCRONE" has some videos, including his solar setup.

"Alan Heath" in England, shows his solar setup - a pair f panels for his 'house' battery and one for his chassis battery.

"Hiace Hobo" also in England, shows his solar system for one battery - from a kit.

"Ron Tanner" - the best one, as he shows diagrams and really explains it well - solar, plumbing, etc.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QVptsIdQ8

These, along with some research online and talking with someone who has done it, should get you started nicely.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks guys. I am going to do it. Mac is right...what have I got to lose but a little time. At the worst it will be fun to look back in a couple years and laugh at my ego. Funny thing is that I have had so little interest in taking video that I have never really looked at our camera till now. It is so old that it doesn't take digital video...but it DOES take digital photos which I don't understand why that would be the case. Oh well, I can make due with my phone for a while.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              Thanks guys. I am going to do it. Mac is right...what have I got to lose but a little time. At the worst it will be fun to look back in a couple years and laugh at my ego. Funny thing is that I have had so little interest in taking video that I have never really looked at our camera till now. It is so old that it doesn't take digital video...but it DOES take digital photos which I don't understand why that would be the case. Oh well, I can make due with my phone for a while.

I see a lot of people on youtube using smartphones to post their vids........totally doable. I just ''forced" the man to discard a VCR era camcorder;next stop the tape winder and actual VCR he thinks he's hidden in the back of his closet........
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
              X