Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Radio?

Howdy,
    First of all let me thank them fellas that helped me, or I should say my bride pick out her new Garmin GPS gadget! She loves it and really gets involved in the trip planning more than ever. She plots the paces, the turns and even the rocks we bump over just to be a helpful wonderful bride. Now here's her new question. Weather Radio, what do you use? And if money wasn't an issue, what would get? Thanks in advance!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

At the moment, I have the Midland Public Alert NOAA weather radio here at home. It really works - during extreme weather, I sometimes have to turn the alert function off as it will wake me up every ten minutes squalking.
    You can set it to key onto the closest NOAA weather station, for local alerts only.
    It is an AC-plug in type, but is small enough and battery-powerd back-up so it could be carried camping. I paid $25 last year at the start of Hurricane Season - they have increased a bit to $30 now. I found mine at my local Publix Grocery Store - but have seen them elsewhere too.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Weather Radio?

Thanks BD,
      Understand that you have been getting a lot of rain. Well, we have been getting spring here. Thanks for your imput. My bride has decided that now she needs to understand weather more and use the info to find when water will be flat and for how long, so we can plan on flat-water kayaking more. A number of times when we have been out her GPS unit shows a good pressure reading, but then all of a sudden out of nowhere the wind will start and that catches us out paddling. When the weather gets bad on Lake Mojave we put into shore and put our skirts on and paddle like the devil is in us to get back to our camp. Once again thanks!

Comment

Well, you know I digg the Eton FR500 - kind of a weather radio / kitchen sink type of gadget. I am going to buy one of these soon - I just got sidetracked on some cookware. Maybe when the tax return comes in!

Comment

Well MY Garmin Rhino comes WITH a weather radio... had I known you were getting a hand held GPS I would have told you to get a rino haha!
          Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
          USMC Retired
          Scout/Sniper

Comment

Weather Radio?

Howdy Rich,
            Haha, back at you! You have proven yourself a good firend! Like I said, thanks for joining camping forums!

Comment

I suggest you search for a radio amateur forum/site. They can help you.

Comment

Working...
              X