re-Introducing the SVEA 123 stove and the Optimus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-Introducing the SVEA 123 stove and the Optimus

I have seen so much stove silliness recently, I thought it might be good to introduce some of the youngsters on this forum to some excellent stoves from the past that remains excellent to this day and are thankfully available.

I have seen young fellows bringing canister stoves, alcohol stoves, and more recently, wood fuel cook stoves. These are diversions from the real deal. Most of us have toyed with these gadgets, but when the rain is pouring down and you are shivering for that hot cup of tea or soup and you dont have the time or energy or patience for the persnipity of these finicky contraptions, you reach out for time proven equipment. The MSR whisperlite has been an answer, but there is nothing "whisper" about those noisy devils and all the pieces and foils and doohickies are a nuisance, plus for all that they have poor flame control.

INTRODUCING THE SVEA 123 STOVE.
    There is not a seasoned outdoorsman older than 45 years old who does not know of the SVEA 123 stove. This is perhaps the most reliable stove of all time. It was the backpacker's choice since the 1950's until about the 1980s and I am not sure why it lost favor after that. I think we were all just looking for something new.

The only thing really that goes wrong is the cotton wick which lasts about three decads of abuse and which I have seen replaced mountainside with a piece of shoestring.
    You prime it either by warming the canister with your hands or with a few drops of fuel. After that, it just roars with heat and you can cook in the cup that doubles as the stove case.

Pros: 18 ounces, liquid fuel white gas or car gas in a pinch. 5" X 4.5", reliable, easily repaired, time tested. Affordable once again; Campor for $89.00 Incredibly efficient.

Cons: priming, poor flame control

INTRODUCING THE PRIMUS STOVE
    The Primus is conceptually the same as the SVEA 123; Simple, no pumping, efficient, trustworthy and time proven. The Primus is self contained, uses liquid fuel like white gas, and can use car gas in a pinch.

Pros: All the above; liquid fuel, simple, easy trailside repair, time tested, compact, lighweight. 58 ounces, 7" X 7" X 4.5"

Cons: needs priming, poor flame control, cost @ $200.

Re: re-Introducing the SVEA 123 stove and the Optimus

I have a different definition of "light weight" :-)
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
      I have a different definition of "light weight" :-)
      What other liquid gas stove weighs 1.5 lbs including the fuel tank? Of course, alcohol stoves are lighter weight but they don't come close to the efficiency of the SVEA 123

Comment

I don't know if it is a typo or not but you show the Primus as 58 oz. That is over 3 1/2 lbs. That would be a little heavy for me to backpack with. At $200.00 I think I will go for a different option for car camping. I do like the first one though as I have a whisperlight and it is definitely a pain to use. You will need to practice at home before you head out.

Comment

MSR Whisperlite weighs 14.6 oz + 11 oz fuel bottle at 2.8 oz = 17.4 ounces. But for me, short backpacking trips are best served by a canister stove. I use the Snowpeak Gigapower, it fits my trips. I don't hike in really cold weather and I only boil water. The convenience and ease of use are too much to pass up. My buddy uses an alcohol stove and I see the attraction but they aren't for me. Canoe and car camping are a different story, as I posted on another thread I am back to the white gas stoves.

Comment

I'm really surprised that no one has come up with an aluminum canister for fuel. For people like me, who don't like playing with liquid fuel, Coleman's Powermax cans were a perfect alternative to heavy steel canisters. Two 300 gram canisters weighed less than a 16 ounce steel canister and would easily last a week as long as you weren't trying to cook up 7 course meals. Unfortunately, they used a proprietary connection and Coleman discontinued it, citing low sales. I didn't quite get that - For several years afterwards, there were a lot of people all over the forums trying to scrounge up whatever cans they could find. I'm pretty sure they could have doubled the price and people would have still bought it. I know I would have!

Right now I'm using an MSR WindproII and I love it. Not so wonderful for backpacking because a 16-ounce canister would weigh something close to a cinder block in a pack, but for car camping, it's perfect for me on a 4-day weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X