Planning for Late May Trip: Rae Lakes Loop or Deadman Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for Late May Trip: Rae Lakes Loop or Deadman Canyon

I'm progressing to hike for 3-4 days in SEKI in late might with a lover (she's older however has uncountable carry experience), and i am viewing some of choices. If anyone has any thoughts or a vote on that is healthier, i am all ears:

My expertise is all category one and hers is simply too. Last year I did the HST from Crescent grassland to massive gully and back, therefore i am aware of that path. i would just like the choice of summiting one thing, albeit I decide to not. i prefer high altitude, however I additionally sort of a bit of path luxury (bear boxes and privies ar nice!)

I'm leaning towards 1:

Option 1: begin at shore pine, go up Twin Lakes path to Ranger Lakes, then on loaf sugar path to Roaring watercourse, then South through Deadman Pass on Elizabeth Pass path, then to the HST and out. i believed there may well be some straightforward cross-country potentialities on this route, however I actually have no race expertise. Pros: Deadman ravine sounds cool, uncountable bear boxes, starts and exits at shore pine for food and a hot shower on exit. Cons: a part of my planned exit is on the HST, therefore i am covering recent ground.

Option 2: Rae Lakes loop. Pros: appearance cool on a map. Cons: appearance flat, presupposed to be popular/crowded, a lot of bureaucratic procedure restrictions on campsites/bear box usage

Option 3: A loop out of Mineral King--possibly to massive gully and small five Lakes. Pros: ne'er been here before and everybody says it's nice, likelihood of nailing a summit within the Kaweah basin. Cons: Killer marmots!

Backup choice just in case of gently unhealthy weather: automobile camp/day hike out of shore pine or Mineral King.

Thanks for any opinions!
Working...
X