Fire - put out or keep lit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire - put out or keep lit?

Hey I'm going on my first 2 day 1 night hiking trip. I was wondering if it was a better idea to leave the fire going to keep critters and larger animals away, or if I should put it out in case of spread or would that attract the animals?

Re: Fire - put out or keep lit?

As a personal rule, I put a fire out at night when I turn in, no exceptions. Others may differ, but an unattended fire (even if it's extremely small and in a fire ring) is negligence in my opinion.
    Nights camping in 2014: 18
    Nights camping in 2015: 24
    Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

I use a portable fire pit for most camping trips and since it's smaller than a built in pit I ensure that at least there is no wood overhanging the sides before I go to sleep. After hearing about the now annual fires out West I should probably just pour water atop but haven't to date. A subject that my conscience will revisit this tenting season.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I put mine out. I would hate to be the one to burn the forest.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaSportsman View Post
          As a personal rule, I put a fire out at night when I turn in, no exceptions. Others may differ, but an unattended fire (even if it's extremely small and in a fire ring) is negligence in my opinion.
          ESPECIALLY here in Arizona where everything is already dry.

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          Yeah, There is a big one burning here in Arizona right now at a VERY popular spot. Last I heard it was 0% contained. Sucks.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            A agree. I would hate to be the one to burn IN the forest

Comment

Always out - always pour water on it to ensure it's out.

Only YOU can prevent wildfires ... http://www.smokeybear.com/

For the poster, if you psychologically feel light would keep critters away, then turn on a small lantern. (One small enough that doesn't shine on neighboring campers.)
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Always out, no doubt. Have fun.
                Nights camping in 2013-----12
                Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

I would put it out if I ever went to a spot that allowed a campfire in the first place. All of our area is too dry, we have burn bans in just about every county out here.
                  "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

your location will determine whether to keep it lit, or put it out,
                    here in Northeast, i let it burn, good firepit, clear of debri, and surrounded by swamp, forest fires is not much of a threat here,
                    out west, a different story, i would keep it small and put it out,
                    if you dont mind carrying it, can use a small bottle of bleach, drip some around your campsite, and once critters get a sniff of it, will keep them away,

Comment

Put it out - it is a legal, as well as common sense, requirement in any National Forest or BLM land, especially out west.

And this advice is from the guy that got awakened at 3 am in Yellowstone about 5 years ago by a park ranger to put out my fire!!! I had just started building my fire the prior evening when it began to rain. I tossed my coffee onto the nascent fire and went to my tent, just as it began to snow.

At 3 am the ranger called out to me and sure enough, there in the snow within my fire pit was a little flame struggling to stay alive. I wanted so much to ask the ranger if he was afraid I would start a "wild snow-fire," but I could tell he was embarrassed to be enforcing the law - so I just apologized and went out into the beautiful snow covered campsite and put it out.

<sigh> I am now officially a scofflaw.

Comment

Working...
                      X