Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help 1st camping trip

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am in need of a little help, okay well actually a lot of help!

im 30 and I've never been camping, ever! but all that is going to change soon. I would like some recommendations as to where I could go and enjoy my self but most importantly where my two daughters ages 5 & 9 could really let loose and have fun.

we live in los angeles and would like to keep within the state. I don't mind taking a drive for a few hours but don't think we should go 500 miles on our first time out. the things we are looking to do are as follows,

leave july 3'rd

camp ( I will be renting an rv )

fishing either trout or preferably bass

bbq

canoeing

I would love to be some where I could look up and see trillions of stars

bond fires

etc...

I am on a mission to be the best dad ever this year as the last few years have been really busy at work and I haven't had the amount of time I wanted to spend with my kids and take them to wonderful places and enjoy life.

I don't know anything about camping ( yet ) but hopefully with your guys help I can be that much closer to reaching my goal.

I look forward to keeping in touch with everyone here and learning new things all the time.

thanks you for looking at my post and I look forward to your reply's.

sincerely
    best dad ever

Re: Need Help 1st camping trip

Ok first, welcome to the forum. Second, welcome to camping. Third, I don't have any information about California (I'm in Arizona) but DO know that there are a TON of places to go camping in your state. I think there are 4 National Forests surrounding LA. I think the hardest part will be finding a spot near a lake on a holiday weekend. You can try the campgrounds but they usually require reservations and I would imagine the ones on or near the lakes will fill up first and fast.

But there are some things I CAN give you information on.

Kids will have fun no matter what. I would take some card or board games just in case it rains or something but it has been my experience that kids and outdoors are a natural fit.

The stars come out at night and it doesn't matter where you are. The only reason you can't see them in the city is the ambient light. Once you get away from all that the stars will amaze you....so long as it isn't cloudy.

You will need to check to see if there are any fire restrictions before you build a bonfire or really any kind of fire. This is the dry season and in Arizona you cannot have any kind of pit fire just about anywhere. I would imagine California wouldn't be as bad as here but you will still need to check.

Fireworks are ALWAYS band in the forests just FYI.

If you haven't already done so you can look up the National Forest Service webside.

http://www.fs.fed.us/visit

There is a lot of good information there although I think it can be a little hard to navigate some of the forest sites. Still worth a check, especially for someone just getting their feet wet.

And finally, remember that the forest is a big giant humongous place. It is impossible for the forest service to clean up after everyone that uses so it falls to each individual to clean up after themselves. Rule of thumb is leave your campsite cleaner than you found it.

It is, unfortunately, not uncommon for us to have to pick up the trash of other less courteous campers when we find a site.

Hope this all helps and you guys have a blast in the great outdoors. Let us know how it goes....good or bad (psst. it is the things that go wrong that usually make the best and most memorable stories so don't worry to much about goofing up)
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

I agree that it may be tough finding a GREAT spot for your first trip in the short time frame you have. But, I think your first thing is to some pressure off yourself. Your kids are 5 and 9 - they will be happy just to spend time with you - it doesn't have to be the most perfect trip in the world (they're not teenagers yet, so you will not be condemned forever more for a bummer trip). In addition, at those ages, kids tend to be happy by default and it takes a lot to turn that into miserable.

I agree to try the national forests. You may not get a lakeside campsite, but you might be able to find one that has hiking trails, is shady, etc. You can check www.recreation.gov for reservable sites still available. You can also make a list of "first come, first serve" campgrounds/campsites in travel order and hit them until you find an available spot. You can also enter your RV length so you can find campgrounds that can fit it without issue (RVs over 27 feet long can be difficult for more rural areas).

Your campfire (bonfires are those massive fires you see at places like Burning Man, etc.) may be restricted due to the drought situation, but you are more likely to be able to have one in an established campground with fire rings. Remember to bring the makings for s'mores.

An easy way to make it enjoyable for the girls is to let them help. I've found that most kids up to the age of 11 or so love to be of help. Let them help plan the meals before the trip. You can get one of those campfire recipe books for ideas. The preparation can be lots of fun for the kids. Let them decide on any board games to bring, etc. Get them a guide book of trees or birds or bugs, etc. so they can look up what they find. And let them help pack up the RV - they'll love just checking out all the cupboards, etc. As kids, we spent more time playing in our truck camper when it was in our driveway than we did going camping in it. It was the ultimate "playhouse".

The fishing is a good plan. They may get bored with the sitting around for any length of time if they aren't used to it, so be prepared to man 3 poles at some point while they go exploring. If you can't get a campsite close enough to water to go fishing, try photography. I always throw out photography as a fun thing for the kids. It's an easy way to make a hike more than a long walk and it gives them visual memories long after the trip is over. And with digital, there's no developing costs, etc. As to hiking, try doing several short hikes each day rather than one long hike.

Have fun! And again, you're the best dad in the world because you're spending time with your kids - don't get hung up on all the rest. Just enjoy them and they'll remember this as one of their most favorite times.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I agree with the good points made previously. There is quite a bit of research you can do from online resources. Try to find a few local contact numbers from your research so you can give them a call to pick their brain about the sites. You can try calling outdoor stores in the general area you want to go to see if they have a few tips.

Take a look at this link: http://www.campingstovecookout.com/Wheretogocamping
        to find a few tips if you are new to an area or camping.

Or call a fishing store in the nearby area. I have found that these local shops are very helpful in providing tips and camping and fishing.
        Last edited by stewardc; 08-03-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X