How To Pack For Car Camping Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Pack For Car Camping Trips

Here are some thoughts that I have about packing for a car camping trip. I am a minimalist at heart. I traveled solo for 6 months on a bicycle and I know that packing less usually means more enjoyment. Somehow, this philosophy does not work when you are married with 2 kids.

Everyone has their own idea what is essential. Please leave comments as I am trying to pare down all the junk that we take. Moving up to a Ford Club Wagon from a Subaru Outback wagon was great for the first few trips until my wife decided that we may as well make use of all the extra space.

After years of van camping (car camping) we sort of gravitated toward leaving our van pre-packed for our next trip. Since our van is not our daily driver, we usually leave camp stove, sleeping mats/pads, camp kitchen, etc. inside the van. The rest of gear is stored in plastic storage bins that are pre-loaded for the next camping trip. We store most of our gear is see-through plastic bins.

This is how our bins look the night before we leave:

Click image for larger version

Name:	14361209068_938347d08a_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	72730

I like to use 4 storage bins. My wife likes dozens! We compromised at 5 bins and are discussing bin #6. I will edit this post and add photos of what's inside each of the bins. My wife is awesome at packing the bins and keeping them organized. We never go hungry on camping trips.

How To Organize Your See Through Camping Plastic Storage Bins:

Bin #1. Snack bin. Nuts, chocolate, granola, chia seeds, dried fruit.

Bin #2. Condiment and seasoning bin. My wife loads this bin with Redmond salt, pepper, seasoning, and canned food. I think we could cut our canned food in half since it takes too much space and is heavy. My wife loves to cook, so we use a lot of different herbs and spices.

Bin #3. Dried food bin. We rarely use this food as it's for emergencies. I think I could cut this by 75% and gain some more valuable real estate space.

Bin #4. Utensils bin. We store everything that involves eating from paper plates to stainless steel flatware.

Bin #5. Miscellaneous bin. This is our "junk drawer". Extra dish soap, laundry soap, pot holders, rope, fire lighters, etc. It's an important bin. We are looking to scale back items in this bin too.

Bin #6 is the coffee and tea bin. Not sure how this one popped up. It takes up a lot of space and packs awkward. I want to move the coffee and tea into the snack bin.

Since I am an avid coffee drinker, I have my own small storage bin for my coffee grinder, roasted coffee beans, coffee filters, and filter cup. I need to scale this back and store the items in the snack and utensils bins. I like brew my coffee before anyone else

The Key To Pre-Packing For Car Camping Trips

We bought our bins at Lowes. You can buy similar bins from Amazon, Walmart, or Target.

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	72729

If you have a lot of outing planned, it's a good idea to have separate items that will used only for camping trips. We have a complete set of stainless steel bowls, cups, plates, and flatware. We like stainless steel because you can easily clean it. Plastic bowls, cups, and flatware tends to absorb grease.

Label your boxes or storage bins with a black Sharpie marking pen. I labeled my bins in the order of importance and where they stored. Last year it seemed that we were always reaching for the snack bin and utensils bin. Guess where they were? The bin was located all the way in the back of van next to the last row of seats. I always had to take out all the bins to get to the snack bin when I was hungry.

Keep an ample supply of paper plates and bowls in your bins when you don't have enough water to wash dishes or are in a hurry. Both water and time are valuable resources. Sometimes it does not make environmental sense to wash 4 plates. Paper is recyclable, so I don't get too bent out of shape by using and disposing of them. We don't use disposable plastic or Styrofoam.

Even though we have everything pre-loaded, we still check every bin before we leave. If we never checked our bins, we would be perfectly fine as our bins are so fully stocked. If we really needed something, we could always pick it up on the road.

Dish Washing Organization

My wife found 4 nesting black plastic wash basins when she was visiting her parents in the Philippines. We like to use them for washing vegetables, storing fruit vegetables, and washing dishes. We used to use the wok as the dish-washing basin. This did not work good for our family of 4. We know use 2 or 3 of the plastic wash basins.

My son fills a 1 liter spray bottle mixed with a few tablespoons of Trader Joes dish soap and water. We tend to use less water and soap when it's in the spray bottle.

Fishing Gear

We are still trying to work out a good way to store fishing poles and fishing tackle. My wife recently packed all the fishing reels into a small storage bin. While it's not large, it's another piece of the puzzle that I have figure how to pack. The reels are small enough to fit into a soft bag. We carry 5 spin casting reels and 1 fly fishing reel. We each have a fishing hats and vests. My wife stores all of these in 2 separate bags. I think it's best if each of us kept our own vest and hat in our personal gear bag.
    Last edited by markkee; 07-01-2014, 02:25 PM. Reason: add photos
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: How To Pack For Car Camping Trips

For shorter trips, can you pre-grind your coffee beforehand and leave the grinder at home? I agree about keeping the coffee and tea in with the snacks.

Since you believe you can reduce the contents of bins #2 and #3, could you actually combine them into one bin?

Fishing poles - my dad used to hang them along the inside of the van (opposite of the side door). Kept them safe and out of the way. You could run PVC piping along the wall and slide the rods into the pipe and that would keep the rods from hooking into someone's hair, clothing, etc.

Fishing hats and vests - if there are no fishhooks hanging out on the hat and vest, then I agree, just put them in the individual clothing packs. If there are fishhooks, then a dedicated box seems to be the least painful option. Another option: for the bulkier vests, you could just hang them off the back of a car seat; for smaller ones, maybe make a bin (or several) on the van wall and slip them in those. Maybe file folder holder depth (2-3 inches max)?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thanks for tips on hanging the vests behind the seats. I always take the hooks off.

I thought about PVC piping for the fishing gear and found that too heavy. Bass Pro and other places sell individual carrying cases. Since our fishing poles are small and inexpensive, I have been setting them in between the foam pads that my kids sleep on inside the van in area where the do not sleep or sit.

I choose to carry the manual grinder as it's small and I enjoy fresh coffee so much. Rather than pay $2 per cup, I roast all my beans at home and grind right before I brew.

I am trying to train my family that our van is a "tiny" house. Clutter makes the trip stressful. My wife loves her books and her cooking gear. However, when it becomes too painful to get thing out, we all become stressed. She has dominion over the house and I have dominion over the van.
      sigpic

Comment

How about those tube mailers? You could macgyver them up with duct tape to be sturdier yet they'd remain lightweight. They come in different diameters. You could even set one up in the space where you store the rods now - it'd just be a bit more damage proof.

I definitely agree on the minimal. I have a small 21ft RV and I am trying to keep things down to "yes, I use it" rather than "well, it might be nice to have". There are some items that are currently on the another trip without use and out they go list.

I do make the exception with the dog toys...

Name:	IMG-20140518-00021.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	69880

Oh, and Moose-dog (pictured) and Bat-dog took them all out of the toy bin - I did not pose the shot.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

"Buy an electronic reader. Saves oodles of book storage space" said the I hate to buy unnecessary electronic stuff but see a need for this woman. Can't help ya with the cooking gear; what I lose in excessive pots and pans I make up in condiments and seasonings.:he:
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My first thought with the rods was to take the reels off and store the rods in some thin walled pvc pipe on the top of the van. You could get all the rods in one pipe and out of the way. The reels are smaller and easier to pack.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              "Buy an electronic reader. Saves oodles of book storage space" said the I hate to buy unnecessary electronic stuff but see a need for this woman. Can't help ya with the cooking gear; what I lose in excessive pots and pans I make up in condiments and seasonings.:he:
              Second on the e-reader. I fought it but now it is my preferred way to read.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                My first thought with the rods was to take the reels off and store the rods in some thin walled pvc pipe on the top of the van. You could get all the rods in one pipe and out of the way. The reels are smaller and easier to pack.
                Unfortunately, the first line guide past the handle on spinning rods is large and sticks out pretty far. That makes storing multiple rods in one tube a potential problem. I tried using what I call a plumber's tube on my truck (6 inch PVC, capped on both ends) and wound up with cracked guides, even though each was wrapped individually in cloth. Granted, I could have used thicker cloth, or maybe more of it, but it was hard enough working the rods in as it was because of those larger line guides. Also unfortunately, the solution I came up with for me won't work on a van. I made a PVC rack that sits almost horizontal over the bed of my pickup (and the canoe, of course).

Name:	Rod Rack.jpg
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	69881
                The only things I can think of for markkee's situation is either an interior roof rack (if there's enough headroom) or to consider replacing the current rods with pack rods.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  How about those tube mailers? You could macgyver them up with duct tape to be sturdier yet they'd remain lightweight. They come in different diameters. You could even set one up in the space where you store the rods now - it'd just be a bit more damage proof.

I definitely agree on the minimal. I have a small 21ft RV and I am trying to keep things down to "yes, I use it" rather than "well, it might be nice to have". There are some items that are currently on the another trip without use and out they go list.

I do make the exception with the dog toys...
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]4594[/ATTACH]

Oh, and Moose-dog (pictured) and Bat-dog took them all out of the toy bin - I did not pose the shot.
                  Tube mailers! Now you are talking about re-purposing something that goes in the trash! This will work.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4595[/ATTACH]
                    The only things I can think of for markkee's situation is either an interior roof rack (if there's enough headroom) or to consider replacing the current rods with pack rods.
                    I was thinking about getting my oldest son the pack rod as he only fishes when we need the food. Fishing is only a means to an end for him. I have my fly rod packed in it's own case as the rod is worth over $200. The rest of the rods are Ugly Sticks and I have yet to break one. I think the cardboard tubes will do the trick. I have no place in the roof area. My wife wants me to load the roof top carrier to store loose stuff. While this appears to be a good idea, we will end up carrying more junk. When I traveled solo for six months, I carried 3 shirts and 2 shorts. I had 1 pair of shoes. It was so nice traveling light!

Now you guys have me really thinking about getting smaller. We have some plastics that our Christmas wrapping paper is stored in. This may work for our fishing rods.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                      I bought my wife a really nice iPad mini. I think I will spend the money and have her order electronic versions of her favorite books.

She is one special girl. Camping is not really her "thing". She loves fishing and foraging for wild craft foods and herbs. We stop at small family owned organic farms and buy produce, eggs, milk etc.

We do all the heavy lifting for her. She has never washed dishes, put a tent, set up her sleeping bag. We make sure that it's a vacation for her. I need to be as gentle as possible when minimizing her creature comforts.

Maybe I could put a storage box hitch on the back just for her.
                      sigpic

Comment

This is how our bins looked right before our camping trip:

Attached Files
                        Last edited by markkee; 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oops, photos didn't come through on the last post.

Mailing tubes are great - they work as baseball bats for office fun also (although you may need to reinforce them with duct tape for those hard hitters).

Find out the next book your wife wants to read and order that on the iPad. That way she'll have to try it rather than sticking with her trusty paper version. I found the most appealing part of ereaders is the ability to get the book immediately and not having to find room for it on the bookshelves (unlike my mom, I don't need bookcases in the bathrooms and hallway).

One rule I try to keep to for myself is "if I use it, it can stay". Don't deny her anything that she uses when camping, just reduce the stuff no one uses, so she has the room for her favorite creature comforts. If it isn't used for one entire camping season, then it's out. I have a few items that I am on the fringe of removing. If they aren't used by September, they will be eliminated.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            Oops, photos didn't come through on the last post.

One rule I try to keep to for myself is "if I use it, it can stay". Don't deny her anything that she uses when camping, just reduce the stuff no one uses, so she has the room for her favorite creature comforts. If it isn't used for one entire camping season, then it's out. I have a few items that I am on the fringe of removing. If they aren't used by September, they will be eliminated.
                            I have a lot of stuff that has not been used for years. My wife found an old MSR Whisper Lite stove in our miscellaneous box. It's going to fun discarding stuff that is cluttering our van.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is the back of our van fully loaded. If we only kept our gear in the back, it would be great. The rest of my family squatted on all the open real estate space in the passenger part of the van. I turn the passenger part into a bed in the evening and I need it open. We are having family discussions on packing.

This is the front bed area that folds back to allow seating for up to 4 people.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X