Campgrounds Without Showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campgrounds Without Showers

I have very curly medium length hair. With the curls, I can get away with not washing it for a few days. However, because of the curls, it tangles like crazy while I sleep. So, I use a spray bottle of water to wet my hair down (like they do when you get your hair cut) each morning. Then I can easily comb it out.

I always have a supply of baby wipes on hand also. They work for a quick wash down, cleaning hands, etc. And if the weather and water permit, I will do a good rinse in the lake/river if I feel too grimy.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

We are very fortunate in Vermont to have a wonderful State Parks system, the staff and volunteers at every park I have camped at have been so wonderful, facilities and campground are always clean and well cared for. Out of almost 40 State Parks that offer camping, only 7 don't offer hot showers. Four of those non-shower sites are on uninhabited islands, so I wouldn't expect showers at those anyway.

We generally don't use the showers on our long weekend trips, baby wipes, sponge baths, and hosing off the girls/us with the solar shower is usually the route we go if we are only there a couple days. When we camp longer, we do use the showers, and have been very lucky to never have a really nasty shower. We also tend to only camp at parks that have a body of water of some sort, so jumping in a nice, fresh and clean VT pond/lake/river for a quick rinse is the best!
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        Now you want a HOT shower. Wow, give a man an inch.....

:D
        Saw this vid for making hot water with a rocket stove, could probably be modded for camping:
        https://www.minds.com/blog/view/2521...ut-electricity

I made an immersion chiller for homebrewing, the reverse of this, but it worked amazingly well, so I bet the heating would work just as well.
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by ak08820 View Post
          Living in one of the world's most prosperous countries, I don't believe that plumbing and water cost is a valid reason to not provide showers. I think that the NPS is proliferated and governed by vested interests (like every where else in the government, no news here) or just plain weirdos. My reasoning is based on the following.

1. Commercial operations like hotel, motels, campgrounds, truck stops and just plain paid showers, like outside the campgrounds in Acadia National Park are able to build, maintain and profitably operate showers. The NPS could provide on site paid showers, too if cost is the only reason.

2. In the Delaware Water Gap, a waterless toilet was constructed at an expense of over $500K over 10 years ago. It must be at least $2-3M in today's dollars. This is sheer waste and misuse of public funds.

3. The Ellis island and Statue of Liberty was renovated a few years ago and a "construction bridge" was built - strong enough to support construction vehicles and activity. After the renovation, against much protest, the bridge was dismantled on the grounds that the expensive 10 minute boat ride provided by private contractor provides a genuine immigrant experience to visitors. This is a genuine example of vested interest. The bridge could have been left there and those who could afford the expensive ride could have continued to enjoy the "immigrant experience" valued so highly by the NPS.
          This I remember well and it was a litle bit more than a construction bridge being dismantled. Happened in the mid to late '90's and was the opening shot in the NJ-NY "War of Ellis Island" which ended up w/ NJ being awarded legal possession of much of Ellis Island. A permanent bridge was proposed and basically shot down by Congress with the aid of various environmental and historic preservation groups. My last grandparent who entered the US via Ellis Island was still alive when the Supreme Court made it's decision and found the idea that he landed in NJ amusing.

There are diverse reasons why some parks do not offer showers yet have access to fresh water.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I agree with those who said the cost and reduced reservations during construction is most likely the reason why all parks don't have showers. Another thing to think about is that some of these parks may have issues running water to a shower building. Since showering facilities are usually kept some distance away from campsites, it may be too much to run water lines to that location.

To me, I think part of camping is the understanding that you are away from home and are in some ways "roughing it" and have to make other arrangements. That may be using baby wipes as MacGyver mentioned, or even shower wipes or even a portable shower. As mentioned before, I think the whole point of camping is getting away and roughing it and leaving the amenities of home behind. If they add showers, then why not add electricity at every campsite. And, if they add electricity at every campsite, why not add buildings throughout the campsite with full kitchens where people can cook? I think the list could go on and on as to what people want parks to add. Where do you stop?

And, to the person who suggested just passing the cost of the showers on to the campers: You say that now, but wait until it is costing you $20-$30 a night to camp at a campground because they added shower facilities. I think that is another great thing about camping. Here in Missouri it is only like $7 a night to camp at a campground. Where else can you stay for that cheap. If they started charging $20-$30 a night, I would probably camp much less and wouldn't stay as long as the total would rack up fast!

Anyway, that is my two cents. Not trying to offend anyone.

Comment

What is the sense of a campsite with a shower, bathroom and a heated cabin? Wouldn't it be easier to get a hotel room near the park. Have you ever backpacked into the woods and pitched a tent, knowing that you would not see another human for the entire time that you would be there and that the droppings near the tent were made by a bear or deer and not the human who was there before you?

Comment

My family has camped in quite a few state parks in MN the past couple months. It just so happens that every one of them had shower facilities. Personally, it doesn't matter if there is or is not a shower. I can get dirty with the best of them. The majority of campsites are located on one of our 10,000 lakes so cleaning up in a lake is always an option. With that being stated, it was a nice option to take a nice hot shower after a long day of being active. Moreover, every state park we stayed at the staff cleaned the showers at least three times a day. The facilities were in great shape. Most tent sites go for $22.00 a day.

Comment

Really Gmann, you guys pay $22 a day for tent sites? WOW! We are really lucky in Missouri then. Our basic sites are only $7 and I think sites with electric are $8 a day. I just assumed that all states were about the same. Never realized just how much of a price difference their was.

Comment

California national forest campgrounds are around $18-$22 for most sites. You can still find a few remote campgrounds that run around $8-$12 - those are usually walk-in only, extremely small campgrounds, and no potable water.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

A big basin to use for a stand-up wash will suffice for many people as well. It might sound too minimalistic for some, but I have travelled to many dusty third-world countries. Upon arrival at a home or refuge, a water basin with water and towel is provided for washing one's face and another for washing one's feet. Oh, that is a heavenly and refreshing hospitality. I have even been to some places where the maids or daughters of the household wash the guests feet upon arrival. I had no complaints for that courtesy.

Comment

We have a Triton 5L portable on-demand water heater, about $100 on Amazon. These work great using 2 D cell batteries, either a 20# or 1# propane, water. I have a 12v diaphram demand water pump I picked up for about $25 on Amazon. Had the remains of a 10x10 instant canopy that the wind destroyed some of the scissors, so I reduced it in size to 3' square, made side walls. This is then the outside shower/toilet area. I have a Camco portapotty. The water heater shower head goes in the top, foot operated demand control which operates both the pump and the heater, a hanging thing for washing essentials and the "toilet". Whole thing is tied down, has withstood 40 mph winds. It folds up very small. I use some of the interlocking foam floor things to keep it nice. Oh, and toilet paper inside an old plastic coffee container.

Last March in Texas, it is about 40 degrees and wife decided to go to the campground shower. I said "why not just use ours?" So she hikes up and 20 minutes later is back...no hot water and place is filthy. Being the loving/caring/understanding type, I then decide to fire up our shower system for me. I thought she would kill me..."Regina, can you turn down the water temperature? It is just a tad too hot", "Regina, turn up the pressure as I want to use the massage spray", "I think I need to get out now as my skin is starting to wrinkle up from all this hot water". Yes, that was using city water. When pulling from a tank we can both get decent showers on about 5 gals or less total.

dave

Comment

Working...
                        X