No announcement yet.

Reserve a camping spot or just show up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve a camping spot or just show up?

I am wondering what everyone does when they decide to go camping. Do you reserve a spot or do you just show up hoping to get a spot? Normally for me we reserve ahead of time, just to be sure we can get it.

Where we camp in NYS when reserving a spot we must use reserve America to make the reservation. The problem I have run into is that if we were going for just 1 night you cant make this reservation. Reserve America requires you make reservations for multiple nights only. And if you call the state park they will not reserve a spot for you, they direct you to reserve America.

Has anyone else run into this?

Re: Reserve a camping spot or just show up?

I do the same as you. Reserve a spot via ReserveAmerica. Seldom do I do a one night stay so the 2 night reservation requirement is not a big deal. Most of the Indiana State Parks include one or more photos of each campsite on the RA site. I like this as it allows me to see what the site looks like and whether it will work well for a tent (level, size, sun angle/shade etc.) I can also start to plan on where/how I will utilize the site for the tent and Kelty tarp set up before I arrive.

I believe some of the parks do set aside some sites for walk-ins...but on crowded weekends in the summer, the reservation gate always has a sign indicating "campground full" when I pull in....so if you just showed up, you'd never even get a spot. After taking the time to pack up and drive, I want to know I'm camping. Too big of a risk to have to turn around and find another campground. I'm sure that if you are going to a state forest...or a park with primitive and/or non-electric sites, you'd have more success doing the just show up strategy. Depends on the place and time of year.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

If I am going with a group or to a busy tourist area, like Yellowstone, I reserve in advance. It allows me late arrival and a guaranteed spot. If I am on a 2-3 day drive to my destination I look along the way and stop. It has worked so far and I have used Walmart's parking lot a few times. I camp in a teardrop trailer. Stop when it gets dark and leave at sun up.

Comment

If you want a spot here in CO, you have to make reservations. If you want the 4th of July weekend, you better reserve it now. This applies to campgrounds, dispersed camping is a different animal. You just have to get there first.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I can't remember the last time I camped at a campground. Dispersed camping is the only way for me and like Kingquad said you just have to get there first. I usually have 2 or 3 spots in mind when I set out (even in a new area) that way if one is taken I am still in good shape.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

i rarely stay at such sites
            and i wouldnt reserve,
            but would have a back up plan/place to go in case its full
            you can also try calling the camp ground directly day of the trip and check on status
            season, weather will also be a factor,
            also, if your in NY state should check out some places that have drive in spots/table/fire ring but are not manned, no fee's and no services,
            located in some state forests near parking areas,
            those are usually very limited but since not listed anywhere usually available if you get there early on weekends

Comment

Sometimes, you can reserve through www.recreation.gov instead of ReserveAmerica. They usually only have a 2-night requirement if it's actually a campground requirement (rather than as a requirement to use recreation.gov). I use them for all the national forest campgrounds.

In peak season, I will reserve my campsites. I study the campground maps, photos, descriptions, etc. very carefully, and so far have been very happy with the results. I actually enjoy the process.

Off season, I'm not too worried about it, unless it's a seasonal campground with only a few weeks open that's not peak season. In that case, it will likely fill up, so I reserve. For year round campgrounds, it's a "maybe I will, maybe I won't" thing. Partly because the weather may be up in the air, partly because most places are pretty empty.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I did not know about the www.recreation.gov thanks for the information.

Comment

Normally I just show up, unless it is one of the busier, more crowded sites and during peak season I think you will very rarely have a problem.
                  A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

Hey Guys,

Whether it's a campground or a 4 star hotel, I like to call the grounds directly and have them confirm it right there and then. Don't like to go through a third party system if I can help it. I figure less chance of error and if I'm giving out my credit card number, I'd rather it be within the establishment itself.

JMHO.....Be well.....elliot

Comment

To be entirely honest, I will have to agree with Michelliot, calling ahead couldn't hurt. You would even be able to discover if they even take reservations. We love going to Tioga Pass campgrounds in California near Mono Lake. Last time we went, they didn't take any reservations, first come first serve. That's why camping mid-week or arriving Thursday night is always a good way to ensure a camp site.

Call ahead, always the best start!
                      Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

I agree that calling ahead can't hurt and could be helpful. For me, I usually start with recreation.gov because I can do it all online without having to talk to anyone. I can also spend a lot of time looking at the map, satellite images, campsitephotos.com, etc. identifying the best campsite for me.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                        X