Water proof tupperware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water proof tupperware

I'd like some Tupperware that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Something I can put in the cooler for several days to week and not worry about water getting inside.

Re: Water proof tupperware

I love the shape (fits nicely in the cooler with little space between them which is nice for icing) and yeah it's pretty darned waterproof. Price for 8 pieces is $15.00. Just pick the size package that makes the best sense for the amt. of people you are camping with
    Don't fall for similar look by different manufacturers. I've basically tried them all, whether purchased from supermarkets, big box stores or online. This manufacturer got the seal right. Containers can be frozen or "nuked".

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004173QZO/...oequippilot-20

HTH!
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-01-2015, 01:35 PM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Every garage sale has vintage Tupperware in it for near nothing. I would start there. I have been freezing ice in some old ones I bought for 50 cents. As the ice melts in the Tupperware it does not leak out so I would say the reverse should be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
        Every garage sale has vintage Tupperware in it for near nothing. I would start there. I have been freezing ice in some old ones I bought for 50 cents. As the ice melts in the Tupperware it does not leak out so I would say the reverse should be the same.
        I've used regular plastic containers like name brand Tupperware with success for shorter trips. However once the ice starts melting and the cooler's bottom is filled w/ cold water, it's another story. Water does seep into plastic containers that don't have a water tight seal. That's fine for items like Ziploc ed bags in containers (happens when I've leftovers) but makes for waterlogged fresh veggies, cheeses, etc.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Last trip I tried keeping my veggies in zip lock baggies and they had leaks and the cooler water got inside. Cooler water in inevitable. Thanks @NYCgrrl for the tip about snapware

Comment

Originally posted by corbmonster View Post
            Last trip I tried keeping my veggies in zip lock baggies and they had leaks and the cooler water got inside. Cooler water in inevitable. Thanks @NYCgrrl for the tip about snapware
            Ziploc bags are my fall back for certain make ahead meals and just general storing in the cooler when I run out plastic containers. I've tried double bagging but still doesn't work too well.
            This year I'm going to put a half grill in the bottom of the cooler. Had a fridge metal shelf cut to size and the hope is the foil container goods (already frozen and great to just throw on the grill) won't get waterlogged.
            2017:

Comment

Try draining the water occasionally while you are camping: The items inside won't get waterlogged, and your ice will last longer, meaning things will stay cold longer. The more water you keep in there, the faster the ice melts. Trust me on this one! You don't want to go there, lol. :O
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I got one of those plastic fluorescent light covers from Lowes and cut it to fit the bottom of the cooler. I used two layers it helps keep stuff out of the water until I can drain it. I also use canning jars for a lot of food in the cooler.

Comment

I thought about canning jars. I just didn't want to add all the extra weight. What did work was vaccume seal bags. Obviously right . One time use only in the field though. So if you were willing to pre potion everything the night before leaving, it could work.

Comment

All my ice is made and kept in plastic one quart milk bottles. Since they're standing up, that makes it very easy to use a tray made of corrugated cardboard to keep meats and cheeses off the ice. I make it half the size of the cooler so it gives me the best of two worlds - keeps things cold enough AND helps insulate the ice a bit so it lasts a little longer. Folding up the sides of the cardboard and taping them up makes it easier to lift out when you need to get to the stuff below it

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      All my ice is made and kept in plastic one quart milk bottles. Since they're standing up, that makes it very easy to use a tray made of corrugated cardboard to keep meats and cheeses off the ice. I make it half the size of the cooler so it gives me the best of two worlds - keeps things cold enough AND helps insulate the ice a bit so it lasts a little longer. Folding up the sides of the cardboard and taping them up makes it easier to lift out when you need to get to the stuff below it
                      I start out with frozen closed quart bottles and blue ice packets spread through out the cooler but also add ice to the cooler. The bagged ice helps to fill air pockets and maintain the intial temperature. My long trips are normally 2 weeks long and this year, 3. Basically water is going to settle in the bottom of the cooler no matter how much draining done, tplife.

I like your idea of a cardboard "box", MacGyver. Bet it would work nicely for fresh veggies, salad greens and cheeses. Hmmmmm...something to think on:cool:.
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                        I got one of those plastic fluorescent light covers from Lowes and cut it to fit the bottom of the cooler. I used two layers it helps keep stuff out of the water until I can drain it. I also use canning jars for a lot of food in the cooler.
                        Wish I'd an extra light cover laying around the house; sounds like good use of excess stuff!

Agreeing with you on not using canning jars, corbmonster. Too delicate and unless you've all ready have em on hand not cheap to acquire.
                        2017:

Comment

I hate water inside food. So I have a couple of ideas. I cut a wire shelf to fit inside my cooler. That way the ice is on bottom and the food is on top of the wire shelf. I also froze 2 liter bottles. That way the melted water is inside the bottles.
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

All this talk of preserving food so it remains cold, palatable and not soggy made me think of another possibility: corrugated plastic. Somewhere amongst my holiday decor I've a storage chest made of lightweight pliable plastic. It has drawers and sectioned liners made of the same material and if a drawer fits the dimensions of my cooler I'll give that a try this year as well, LOL. Anything that creates less food waste and cleanup works for me:D.

This is the type of item I'm thinking of and can prolly be found at a stationary or office suppy store:

Design Style Tray (DST)
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                              All this talk of preserving food so it remains cold, palatable and not soggy made me think of another possibility: corrugated plastic.
                              I thought about the plastic too. It would certainly stand up to moisture better, but something in my twisted little brain is telling me it wouldn't insulate as well as paper stock. Guess I'll have to be on the lookout for some outdated yard sale signs in the neighborhood to do a comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X