Is our rafting + camping trip legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is our rafting + camping trip legal?

My friends and I have built 3 homemade rafts that look similar to this. We plan on rafting from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning down the Minnesota river, camping each night on the river bank.

According to the DNR, each of our rafts should be legal without needing to get licensed. They're all under 10 feet long and non-motorized. The only thing we need to do is make sure we have a white flashlight and only raft from 9:30am to 1 hour before sunset. It's unclear to me whether or not we'll need to affix a "rules decal" to each raft.

Now here's what I'm unsure about.
    1. Do we need a portable toilet?
    2. Do we need a permit to camp on the river bank?
    3. Is there anything else that could get us into legal trouble?

We tried to raft down the St. Croix river last year but were stopped by the feds. They said you need a portable toilet and a camping permit in federal waters.

I think the Minnesota river is state owned though. Do we need a portable toilet or camping permit for the Minnesota river? Also how can I find out if it is federal or state owned?

Finally, is there any other info you can lend me that would help me out, and are there any other legal issues I should watch out for?

Thanks,
    Billy

Re: Is our rafting + camping trip legal?

You were stopped by the Feds on the St. Croix River and they told you that you needed a porta-pottie and a permit? I don't think those were real Feds. The St. Croix is full of canoes and other boats that do not have porta-pottie.

The St. Croix - especially the Wisconsin part of the St. Croix River is a National Scenic Riverway. You can camp anywhere you want on a major segment of the river anywhere you want without any permit. It is a very popular canoeing/boating/camping area.

See this: http://www.nps.gov/sacn/index.htm
    and see this about camping on the St. Croix: http://www.nps.gov/sacn/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Comment

am not from that area
      but based on the following
      looks like portable toilets not required at designated campsites
      but required in certain sections
      also looks like permit is required at certain sections
      I would call local rangers to double check,
      then I would call again to see if get same answer,

An Important Message About Toilets
      All designated campsites above Highway 8, have a primitive toilet (left). These toilets are secluded from the camping area, a short distance away at the end of a marked trail. Most landings have enclosed outhouse facilities. If a toilet is not available when you stop along the river, bury your waste at least 100 feet from water and trails.remember to bring your own toilet paper. Toilet paper and feminine hygiene products should be packed out in a plastic bag.
      Below Highway 8, toilets are only provided at Eagle's Nest Campground (s48.5). Elsewhere portable toilets must be packed in and out and used. Commercial models exist that can be carried by boat, canoe, or kayak.

No reservations are required for primitive shoreline campsites along the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers. Campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. An annual permit is required to camp between Highway 8 and the Soo Line High Bridge on the St. Croix River. This Lower River Camping Permit is free. Fill out the required form and send it in or pick up the permit in person at the St. Croix River Visitor Center.

Comment

It is a sad, sad state of affairs when you have to ask "Mother, May I?". Unless the land is privately owned.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
        X