Foot Powder as campsite Mosquito control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Powder as campsite Mosquito control

Mosquito control at campgrounds has a few options. Not all very appealing including spraying poison on your skin, covering up your body even when it is hot. There are noisy zappers and vacuums, etc.

What you cannot do at campgrounds is use a spray fog.

Here is something that works, is natural, and costs less than a can of bug spray.

Get yourself a couple of big bottles of Super Medicated Foot powder at Dollar Tree. Sprinkle it on the ground around your camp chairs, tents, etc. You can sprinkle ON stuff too like your clothes and body. Sprinkle a little in your hair and it will not only keep the bugs away, but will absorb hair oil and make your hair look clean.

This is a comfortable and non-toxic mosquito repellent. Remember, it has to be MEDICATED. It is the eucalyptus oil that keeps the mosquitoes away

Re: Foot Powder as campsite Mosquito control

Interesting. Might have to see if it works for the dogs - a sprinkle a day keeps the buggies away!
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I am not sure if it is the same as the kind you have but the foot powder I own is pretty smelly, I don't think I would want to be putting it in my hair.
      A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

Poison? I think you want to walk that back ASAP. Deet is one of the most proven-safe by extensive testing substances known to man, safe even for 3-month-old infants. This month's issue of CONSUMER REPORTS has a great article on mosquito control, and includes some effective non-DEET alternatives, this is a first for efficacy and good news for those who have allergies (or issues) involving DEET formulas.

I wasn't born in a mosquito-infested swamp, but I was raised in one!
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          Poison? I think you want to walk that back ASAP. Deet is one of the most proven-safe by extensive testing substances known to man, safe even for 3-month-old infants. This month's issue of CONSUMER REPORTS has a great article on mosquito control, and includes some effective non-DEET alternatives, this is a first for efficacy and good news for those who have allergies (or issues) involving DEET formulas.

I wasn't born in a mosquito-infested swamp, but I was raised in one!
          No Kidding? I thought DEET caused cancer. That is what they used to tell us anyway. Cancer or mosquitoes: pick one. Ya know, if you don't like the science, just wait for the decade that changes the info to what you prefer.

Comment

LOL. There's not a single documented case of cancer linked to DEET. You're confusing DEET with DDT. Science is not subject to opinion, and is not established by consensus.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

A simple, "according to the latest research, DEET is safe" and a link to the science http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultatio...h-effects.html would suffice.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Not a SINGLE CASE DOCUMENTED ever that links cancer to DEET. With over 40 years of toxicity testing, it's one of the most thoroughly proven safe-to-use-as-directed products known. Listing abuses and off-product-label uses to injuries is not using it as it's directed - that's what safety refers to. Not abuse or misapplication.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o...king/deet3.htm

Comment

Tplife - I was NOT disagreeing with you. Again, you're going off on a "science is everything" tangent without reading what people are saying.

The link I provided states that DEET is safe...

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    Tplife - I was NOT disagreeing with you. Again, you're going off on a "science is everything" tangent without reading what people are saying.

The link I provided states that DEET is safe...
                    Thanks for the chuckle.

Comment

My pleasure.

I do find it amusing that my link was to the CDC and it gets countered by a link to How stuff works...

Comment

My pleasure.

I do find it amusing that my link was to the CDC and it gets countered by a link to How stuff works...
                        Just dumbing it down for us common folk, I guess.

Comment

Can't fool anybody on this forum, yeah, DEET causes cancer, Gluten-Free Diets are nutritious, ice lasts longer underwater, and sleeping on air mattresses and cots won't suck the heat out of you. There, you caught me, I'm a hoax-spreading prankster. But admit it, I did have you going there for a while!

Comment

Just can't say "gee, I'm sorry", can you?

Once again, my link was verifying exactly what you had been writing about DEET being safe. There was no disagreement. There was no "tplife is telling tales", etc.

But, rather than actually read and comprehend what others are posting, you go off on your "science is everything" tangent and imply/infer that the rest of us are dumb, stupid, idiotic, and just plain old "the world is flat" blowhards.

The best scientists are those who are willing to question established scientific rules/laws - many have been disproved with additional research and experimentation.

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Just can't say "gee, I'm sorry", can you?
                              What's between a chuckle and an out and out laugh? Whatever it was, I just did it.

Comment

Working...
                              X