What would you have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you have done?

This past week, I went camping. On Thursday afternoon, a group with a fairly large toy hauler trailer pulled into the campsite next to me. On Friday morning, a truck & trailer drove around the loop twice, then the camp hosts were at the campsite next to me talking to the folks.

It appears that what happened is Group #1 (the ones who arrived Thursday) took a site that was reserved by Group #2. I heard a lot of back and forth and then Group #1 offering "steak, fish, whatever you folks want I'll give it to you".

It ended up with Group #2 going off to find another campsite and Group #1 staying in their poached site.

Would you have given up your reserved site? Or would you have forced them to move? What would be your logic behind your decision?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: What would you have done?

Depends. If there were other spots I liked in the campground, I would of made the squatter's pay for my camping fees. Including lot fees and any park entry fees. You don't like it, move your setup. If I didn't like any other sites, I would of made them move.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I might move for fresh fish.......
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

If it was an honest mistake setting up in my site, I would try and be nice. As long as I could get a another site that met my needs and I liked I would have let them stay. If I had even an inkling they just poached the site I would make them move. Just stealing someone else's site is a form of Bullying.

Comment

This happened to me last year. Showed up, site was occupied (well after the check out time). Showed them my confirmation paperwork and asked them to pack up and leave. They acted "confused" as if the site # and dates on my paperwork were "off". And they were in no hurry to get packing up.

I really couldn't take a different site as they were all sold out. I think the squatters just wanted an extra night and were hoping that I wouldn't show.

I had to get the ranger to speak to them and get them off the site. Kinda was a pain as I had to wait over an hour to get them off the site.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

you reserved the site i would make them move

Comment

My original opinion was "absolutely make them move regardless of other spaces available" with my logic being that they KNOW they're taking a reserved site because it's got the reservation right at the front of the site. If they didn't make a reservation, then that paper means it's NOT THEIR SITE.

But, I really like the idea of making them pay for my reservation if I take a different site. Maybe if they pay double a few times, they'll stop stealing other people's sites.

I know in the incident that happened last week, the poachers knew exactly what they were doing. I suspect they do it a lot and get away with it because people don't want to make a fuss.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Probably the best way to handle it would be to go to the ranger station and explain the situation and ask them what else is available. The rangers know that if they can't make you happy with another spot, they have to go back and force the squatters to move... and that isn't pretty. They might even have you stay at a really cool and secluded spot that only they know about or maybe the group spot or MAYBE.... the cabin.

Worst case scenario is that you are at a campgrounds with no rangers. Talk to the rangers sometime about the bad situations they are faced with. They are the sheriffs of the forest. Lots of weird and bad stuff happens in the parks and they have to take care of it. Some of the young female rangers I have met are absolutely not prepared for confrontations with bad people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Probably the best way to handle it would be to go to the ranger station and explain the situation and ask them what else is available. The rangers know that if they can't make you happy with another spot, they have to go back and force the squatters to move... and that isn't pretty. They might even have you stay at a really cool and secluded spot that only they know about or maybe the group spot or MAYBE.... the cabin.

Worst case scenario is that you are at a campgrounds with no rangers. Talk to the rangers sometime about the bad situations they are faced with. They are the sheriffs of the forest. Lots of weird and bad stuff happens in the parks and they have to take care of it. Some of the young female rangers I have met are absolutely not prepared for confrontations with bad people.
                  You are a rational person , I like the idea of yours .
                  Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

If I reserved the spot and found other folks there, I would've taken the fish, talked to the owners, and negotiated for some kind of discount for a new spot.

Comment

Like others, I would check with the site attendants and if there was an equally nice spot available - I'd just take that and no harm done. But, often the remaining sites are ones that get too much sun or undesirable for other reasons. In that case, I'd have the attendant get them to move.
                      Nights camping in 2014: 18
                      Nights camping in 2015: 24
                      Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

I try to reserve a waterfront lot and where I normally camp at the waterfront lots are always full. so they would have to move!

Comment

I'm not sure if they would have even camped next to us. I wear what's basically a "ranger's uniform", from hat to boots, and here in California, like all over the US, your campsite is "your residence" and we often practice open carry to exercise those rights. Even when we're not packing, we have "DON'T TREAD ON ME" flags, Woodstock-era Canned Heat and Neil Young cranking, with F-250s with big-azz wheels in a semi-circle. In all fairness, in a few years, we'll tone it down a bit and let you know...Unless my daughters carry on the family traditions...
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

With this campground, the ranger station was 1 to 1-1/2 hours away. I still like the "make the move or pay for my reservation" idea - it doesn't let the poacher get away with the poaching, yet allows for them to stay in the spot if it's really not worth the effort to make them move.

Comment

A buddy and I once backpacked to a remote lean-to only to find a young couple there with their dog. It's an 8-person lean-to (run by the state) and the rules in my state are that you can't claim the lean-to and must allow other backpackers to join you up the the maximum limit.

The couple didn't care what the rules were and said we weren't coming in. It was getting dark. My buddy and I could have gone to the mat and started a confrontation and forced our way into the lean-to but we didn't know whether those nutcases had a firearm or not. We told them we would report things to the ranger and left. We arrived at another lean-to two miles away in the dark with flashlights but without incident.

Sometimes it's better to bend than have something, or someone, break.
                              Moss Big Dipper
                              Alaskan Guide 8
                              Alaskan Guide 6
                              NorthFace Tadpole 23
                              ALPS Exteme 3
                              Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Working...
                              X