Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do YOU store your cast iron cookware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do YOU store your cast iron cookware?

I did some extensive searching on the internet and could not find any articles. I am building a 4ft x 6ft camping box trailer to hold all our gear and pull behind the Kia Soul( no need to pounce on me over towing with the kia soul, I did my research and made my decision...lol) and I am wanting to know how you guys and gals store you cast iron cookware..IE: specifically what containers you use and if anything needs to be put between pots or skillets when stacking, should they be in separate airtight containers or all of them in one airtight container. I am wanting some ideas before I get too far with the camping box trailer so I can be sure to have a suitable spot for the cookware.
    All our camping supplies will be kept in the trailer all the time when we are not camping!
    Thanks for any advice, I will post pics of the camping trailer as it comes along!!

Re: how do YOU store your cast iron cookware?

Topping for responses - I think it got lost in the limbo-land.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I thought it had been lost all together, I started framing up my camping gear trailer today! hope someone chimes in soon with ideas. I know how to cook with cast iron quite well, just never had to store it outside in a camping gear trailer before year round...we are now thinking to store and use it in the house and then just pack it in a box when we go camping, so now I want to build a clever box with handles to put them in, and with separate wood slots to keep them separated and keep them from clanging so much with a nice tight closable lid.
      would love to see pics of what others have come up with

Comment

we have been hauling around our cast iron cookware for three years now. travel companion built a box specifically for the 12" dutch oven
        and two smaller pieces that nest inside the big oven...only requirement that we know of is that the items NOT get cleaned with soapy water after they have been seasoned, and that they be thoroughly dry when put away... just wash with hot water, heat to dry completely and wiped with an oiled paper towel to recoat the surface...let cool then put away...

Comment

I don't store mine. I use mine in the house as well.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I usually carry a 10" or 12" camp Dutch oven. My wife sewed me a liner that allows me to pack inside the DO and use the space. I also carry a #3 fry pan which is perfect for 2 fried eggs. That and a few other small items go inside . The oven is then put in a drawer in the galley of my teardrop trailer. There are storage bags available to put DO's in also. The waffle iron is only taken when we have a group breakfast. Still have to find a way to store that. What pieces of cast iron are you trying to store?

Here is what it looks like....

Comment

Hello ole coastie and wife!

I tend to tent camp with a maximum of 2 CI pots: a 12" and 6"-8" skillet. Haven't found a true need for a Dutch oven because I do a lot of freeze ahead meals and that includes stews. The 12" is for when I need to serve 4 to maybe 6 people and the smaller is just for the 2 of us but depending on the dish could work for more peeps. Or I can just use both skillets if there are a lot of people and space is tight.

I place a dry dish rag or pot holder in the bigger pan then nestle the smaller one within. Or a customized chuck box could be lined with cut to size piece of cushioned shelf liner/or the thin sheets of pliable Styrofoam(?) you can get at packing good stores. Put all in a canvas bag or small plastic storage bin(you'll have to wait until I get in my storage space for me to tell ya the size) surrounded by any other pots(only 2 more max on my end: a high sided 3.5 qt pot for soups, boiling water, pasta and such and an optional lil tiny pot for BBQ sauces; that one is prolly 1-2 cups) I'm traveling with and over sized (such as serving utensils) and tiny (like spices and rubs) kitchen paraphernalia. I prefer to keep my cooking utensils and such all together so packing and unpacking is easier. The only items I keep separate are eating utensils, drinking glasses and dishes which although made of melamine, acrylic and other less prone to breaking materials, CAN crack when stored w/ heavier items.

After years of acquiring kitchen "stuff" dedicated solely to camping I've been editing my collection and now opt for mostly multi-function tools that can also be used in my house. This means I have to pack and repack every time I go camping but I have less storage space than many people. My eating utensils are for camping only and stored in the building's basement space.

Not sure how many people you plan to cook for but a 4*6 box sounds quite doable.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We store our (outdoor fish-fry and indoor cornbread bakin') cast-iron skillets and flat griddle in the garage, and up on hooks - but they're sure as heck not going on any camping trips - anything that heavy that still heats unevenly (Source: Consumer Reports Magazine) is not worth hauling up the local mountains. Now that 42-pound AGM power supply, however... :penguin::arrow:
                (I like nostalgia as much as the next guy)

At ease, hecklers! We drive a Prius, and have to seriously examine the gear we tote around, which is probably something I should do more of at home.
                Last edited by tplife; 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                  I don't store mine. I use mine in the house as well.
                  Oh for sure on this end too. CI builds up it's finish with more use. My 12" is generally the first pa I reach for in the house. :cool:.
                  Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-02-2015, 06:22 AM.
                  2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I also primarily use my 12" skillet when at home so it is not put up and stored primarily for camp or outdoor use. I simply remove it from the kitchen and stow it away with the rest of our camping gear and supplies whenever we pack up for a trip. It has ended up under my seat and in between containers or sleeping bags to make the drive to our site as I really have never come up with a designated place to stow it for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
                      I also primarily use my 12" skillet when at home so it is not put up and stored primarily for camp or outdoor use. I simply remove it from the kitchen and stow it away with the rest of our camping gear and supplies whenever we pack up for a trip. It has ended up under my seat and in between containers or sleeping bags to make the drive to our site as I really have never come up with a designated place to stow it for the ride.
                      All good storage spaces but but I've got to admit that once I uhm forgot something under the seat. Not so smart when you rent cars to go camping.
                      Then this past summer I went on a short trip (means packing way less gear too) and left my pots with my building's doorman. Poor man called us when he realised what ha happened and thunk of meeting him near the campground.Gave him a Hail Mary pass and made do. Those tips I give out every December really seem to generate true loyalty:he:.
                      2017:

Comment

I do not pay any particular mind to storage of my cast iron. I think it will rust in most North American environments if left alone for long periods of time. We have cast iron in our kitchen that rusts even in dry conditions. Some folks talk about rubbing vegetable oil into the pan to season and protect it. This is fine and I have done it, but if you leave the case iron for a long period of time, the oil does go rancid.

Some cast iron fry pans will "season" and be less prone to rust, but my cast iron bean pot never really seasons and it is prone to some rust all the time.

When my cast iron gets very rusty, I just heat it up really hot and pour some salt into it. Swirl the salt around for a few minutes with heat and Voile' the rust is gone.

Comment

Acctually the post was very helpful as it was so informative about anodized cokware.Thanks to author for the post.I have got some information about anodized cookware from this site : LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN

Comment

Is this "Post Revival", "Frying to the Oldies", or "Death of a Salesman"? :penguin:
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

My cast iron is used in the house. I always use a conditioner just wipe a small amount on the skillet.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-CSC.../dp/B000H86C9I

Comment

Working...
                              X