Camping Plans 2016!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Plans 2016!

I've been "shopping" at our VT State Parks website for a couple weeks now, scoping out the Parks I'd like to hit this year. The 2-day minimum reservation line opens March 1st and I want my wish list ready to go when that day hits! Prime and waterfront sites go FAST, so I want to make sure to book the ones I want early and not have to settle for what's left over... not that I've ever had a *bad* site at a VT State Park, but I'd still like to get my first pick.

On my Parks To Visit list this season:

Maidstone State Park

Photo credit: Vt State Parks

Never been to an overnight at Maidstone and it is really such a beautiful park, I just have to plan a weekend stay here. Might have to be a little later in the season though as it is waaaaay up North (almost to the Canadian border) and I'm sure that lake stays pretty chilly well into the summer!

Jamaica State Park

I've actually camped at this park once already, but would love to go back again with the kiddos. The sites right along the river are sooooo nice and relaxing, and the walking/hiking paths are perfect for all ages.

Branbury State Park

We have gone here a couple of times for day trips and I absolutely love the grassy beach/picnic area with a small sandy strip for the kiddos to dig in and play. This lake is always crystal clear and so very nice. Kinda bummed there are no real waterfront sites here, but I'm sure we'll survive. haha!

So those are on my camping radar for this year! Where are ya'll planning or hoping to go this year? Please share!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: Camping Plans 2016!

I can see why you want to get in there first and pick your sites. Also why even 2nd best is good. Beauteous landscape!

I was a day late last August/September and my first choice for end of June 2016 was goneeeeee with the wind. Fortunately, my 2nd choice was still there. The reservation window opens early down here for adjoining states, county and the Fed sites too.

Here are pics of what I'm longing for:

2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I usually try to get things booked up for the summer months by now, but things are pending this year and I can't commit early. So, I'm playing it by ear this summer. Whatever campgrounds have my preferred sites for the dates I need once I confirm I can go - that's where I'll be...

Fortunately, most of the places I go in summer are up the mountain, so we don't have as much of a problem with folks booking every weekend all summer and then not going, etc. Usually I can get in at least 3 of my 4 favorite seasonal campgrounds each year.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I try to get most trips scheduled and reserved as soon as I can get open dates on my calendar identified. If it's a state park and you're camping on a peak season weekend, you really need to reserve as soon as possible. Weekdays...not so much.

What's planned so far - 2016:

I've already spent a couple of nights in January camping on a nice piece of private property just north of my home. I may return here in the fall.

This weekend, the wife and I are going to Turkey Run State Park. This is the first time we'll be camping here during "winter" (we've camped here the other seasons). We love this park and try to visit in the winter each year (but normally we'll stay at the park's Inn or just make it a day trip).

Great hiking trails/beautiful place. This trail follows a small creek in a carved canyon (a pic from past trip):

In March, camping at Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park. Been to the cave numerous times, never camped at the park.

In June, camping for a 3 nights near Lake Monroe, Bloomington, IN (wife and I - no kids! - )

In July, we'll do our annual 3 night weekend summer trip to Prophetstown State Park (IN). They have a nice waterpark with a lazy river and a couple of decent tube slides/kiddie area/hoops area/etc ($5-all day!!!) OK trails. My son's birthday is that weekend so he's bringing along 2 friends. We'll celebrate his b-day with camping and the waterpark. He's already excited. lol. I have kinda grown to enjoy the now annual trip to this park (the campground is usually sold out in the summer, but it's a small campground, so it never feels crowded/traffic/noisy/etc.)

Also in July for a weekend, we'll be going north to Indiana Dunes State Park. My wife and I both grew up within 30 minutes of this park. We spent much of our "youth" hiking around the Dunes, but we've never camped there. Too close to home perhaps? idk. We'll change that this summer.

We're still trying to figure out an out of state 4-5 night camp trip for August. We've narrowed the choices but the clock is a tickin on reservations....

The rest of the months of the year, it's fairly easy to get a camp spot so I generally leave those open and take off for a weekend if the weather forecast looks good.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I would like to visit the MS barrier islands - haven't made it as far as a planned trip yet, but def on the horizon.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Plans for 2016: nothing set in stone yet...
            considering trips to Kansas, Utah, and Wyoming and New Mexico, actually wherever the four winds take us...

Comment

Planning some trips to Kentucky. First one will be with the travel trailer at a full hookup KOA in Ashland so we can un-weatherize, then planning on our favorite mom and pop campground near Louisa for the rest of the trips. I solo tent camp at the second one when my husband does not come with me.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Nice everyone! Although I must admit that I had hoped talking camping plans would mellow out my intense desire to put up the tent RIGHT NOW and get outside, it has just made it stronger! haha! And although I have always been perfectly content camping at our State parks, seeing the pics and hearing the descriptions of all your trips makes me want to add a "Camp in Every US State" bullet item to my bucket list. Ya'lls trips sound awesome! Thanks for sharing!
                Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Each year since 2012 I have taken one long trip and many long weekends during the summer months. I have been to WY twice, Co. once and KY and TN once. This year it's New England, with a focus on Maine. It is one of the states I never got to. So this is the year. Thanks to Shortpants for the help with VT. I'll let you all know how the trip works out. I'm trying to see which I prefer, mountains or oceans.

Comment

These sites sound great. I can't wait to get out and go camping. Someday hopefully I will get to visit these beautiful sites but for now I will have to enjoy my area in Iowa on the great Mississippi River. Enjoy your days everyone.

Comment

Well, it's March 1. Did you get the sites you wanted? These pictures are beautiful. I am excited for you! I have to agree with shortpants that this thread has motivated me to want to camp right NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by jburke View Post
                        Well, it's March 1. Did you get the sites you wanted? These pictures are beautiful. I am excited for you! I have to agree with shortpants that this thread has motivated me to want to camp right NOW!
                        *sigh* Curses... foiled again... haha! Only one of the parks had the site I wanted available on the weekends we have available and now I have to wait to hear back from one of the friends we camp with on what dates he can work into his schedule. Hopefully my choice site isn't booked by the time he figures that out.

But on the flip side, had dinner with some other friends last night and they are really interested in going camping with us too, so looks like I have a second trip to start planning! Woot! This one will be a first camp for them with their son, an 18 month old, so considerations on choosing a site will be a bit different... probably no direct waterfront sites for this trip with the little one.

Now if only the next few months would go really, really fast...

Comment

After a few bad experiences last season with loud and obnoxious neighbors I was able to talk my wife into a dispersed campsite. After that peaceful weekend she was hooked. Baby steps the rest of last summer with short treks and learning how to pack meaner and leaner each time.

Picking it up a couple notches this year with a trip to Ewing Point Dispersed Campsite in Michigan. Only 1 walk-in site here so we have the entire Point to ourselves.
                          Also just reserved a weekend in Newport State Park, located in Door County. Nice 2 mile hike to our site, but on the shores of Lake Michigan. Totally worth it.

Patiently waiting for the snow to melt. Pass my time "at work" by looking at ways of upgrading my gear.

Comment

We got two trips planned so far looking for more

Comment

Those dispersed sites sound super nice HostManMike, don't have to worry about the neighbors at those, by the sounds of it!

I'm still in "trying to nail down dates" mode with the folks we camp with. Grrrrr... Pretty sure I'm just going to reserve the dates that work for us and if they want to come, great... if not, oh well. Only one weekend nailed down date-wise, but trying to find a toddler-friendly park/site combo where we won't have to worry about the little guy falling over a bank or in the water... Ahhhh, how I remember camping with our two girls at that age... the only time I truly relaxed is when they were down for naps or in bed for the night! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X