Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for a camp kitchen??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for a camp kitchen??

I used to own a Dosko Campmate portable kitchen which was handed down to me from my dad, and was used on our camping trips.

I was stolen out of my truck several years ago. Needless to say , I am heartbroken.

Dosko does not make it anymore.

What would you guys suggest I replace it with?

Re: Any recommendations for a camp kitchen??

Is this what you had?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOSKO-Sport-...item43ea702714
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I've seen some great chuck boxes made from plywood. The best part of making your own is making it to fit your specific needs. Then again, any chuck box can wind up being not so perfect as your gear changes over time. I made one years ago that I wound up selling at a yard sale because the cubbyholes never seemed to work for me. I now go with Pelican Storm cases and Plano single compartment tackle boxes because they're pretty much adaptable to whatever I need.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        It always amazes me when a company has a product people are clamoring for and they simply stop making it. Dosko's Facebook page alone has several people asking when the Campmate is coming back or where they can get one. It reminds me of a microscope I was looking at years ago. This was the company's response to their being sold out:

In other words, "We already have enough money"?

Comment

Unarguable logic: it's so popular, we sold out. Therefore we won't make any more...
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            Yeah exactly what I had... I miss it so, there are none on ebay still for sale. When I find them on craigslist, people never want to sell them to me because I'm in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              It always amazes me when a company has a product people are clamoring for and they simply stop making it. Dosko's Facebook page alone has several people asking when the Campmate is coming back or where they can get one. It reminds me of a microscope I was looking at years ago. This was the company's response to their being sold out:

In other words, "We already have enough money"?
              That's crazy...

Comment

I just got back from my camping trip tonight. Had to use a rigged up cheap plastic bin for my cooking supplies. Needless to say unlike the Dosko it would no hold my camping stove on top, nor withstand I'm sure.

I am happy that I found a new cool spot to go to on the way back today with many more kid friendly activities and more shady spots for tents.

Comment

I've seen the Dosko Camp Kitchen around the 'net for years and also lament that it's no longer in production.
                  Never used one but I'm in total awe of it's compactness. I think if I was designing/producing it self I'd opt for metal shelf tops over plastic but again haven't used one.
                  If I was searching again and wanted a camp kitchen that transcended several types of camping I'd keep searching for this one on the secondary market.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    I've seen the Dosko Camp Kitchen around the 'net for years and also lament that it's no longer in production.
                    Never used one but I'm in total awe of it's compactness. I think if I was designing/producing it self I'd opt for metal shelf tops over plastic but again haven't used one.
                    If I was searching again and wanted a camp kitchen that transcended several types of camping I'd keep searching for this one on the secondary market.
                    Just to give you an idea of how great it was take a look at this video. However, it had other little advantages and things not shown in this video.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnoHyv12AaQ

Comment

Originally posted by frankb View Post
                      Just to give you an idea of how great it was take a look at this video. However, it had other little advantages and things not shown in this video.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnoHyv12AaQ
                      I saw your "I want to buy" thread and wondered if you found one here or anywhere else?

I'm getting ready to pull my Cabela camp kitchen out of storage to do a lil maintenance on it (WD-40 the folding joints), double check the stitching on the carry bag anddddd wanting to not do it, LOL.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        I saw your "I want to buy" thread and wondered if you found one here or anywhere else?
                        Yeah, THere are currently two on EBAY. I just can't get anyone on EBAY with a DOSKO CAMPMATE to ship to me here in Mexico. Even offerring to pay insurance and all people with Dosko CAMPMATEs are very distrusting and refuse to ship to me. I really don't understand nor can explain it. Maybe they are Trump supporters and don't want any Dosko Campmates in Mexico. LOL. The way people were flat out refusing you would have thought I had said, "I am Muslim and was planning to build a bomb out of it or something." Geez.

Comment

Yeah, THere are currently two on EBAY. I just can't get anyone on EBAY with a DOSKO CAMPMATE to ship to me here in Mexico. Even offerring to pay insurance and all people with Dosko CAMPMATEs are very distrusting and refuse to ship to me. I really don't understand nor can explain it. Maybe they are Trump supporters and don't want any Dosko Campmates in Mexico. LOL. The way people were flat out refusing you would have thought I had said, "I am Muslim and was planning to build a bomb out of it or something." Geez.
                          Frank, welcome once again to the forum. Your knowledge and perspective are definitely going to be an asset we will all soon cherish for its diversity and sensitivity.

:tussor:
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Frank,

Do you know anyone in the states who would let you use their address and then forward it to you? I have a friend in Canada who has the same problem (it's apparently not just a Mexico thing). She contacts the seller and asks if they'd be willing to ship to my address in the states if she bids and win. If they say yes, she bids and pays, they send the item to me and I forward it to her. If they say no, then I bid under my ID and she reimburses me the cost.

Comment

Maybe they are Trump supporters and don't want any Dosko Campmates in Mexico.
                              Wow. Jumping to conclusions are we? I could offer some suggestions, but based on that comment, I won't.
                              Nights camped in 2019: 24
                              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                              X