Why do you prefer dispersed camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you prefer dispersed camping?

The last few weeks I've been scouting new spots for the summer, and it got me thinking about why some people prefer dispersed camping on public land over the more traditional campground setting.

Is is the freedom? The lack of people? Keeping that $15 in your wallet?

For me personally, I need a little more adventure, and that's what usually get's me looking for dispersed spots off the beaten path.

Curious to hear other's thoughts.

Re: Why do you prefer dispersed camping?

For Me,
    I pretty much like the idea of not to many people. Quite.+ the money in my pocket always helps.
    Jack
    Thrift store tent
    Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

I like campground camping. Sometimes it's nice to have folks around. But, the pull of dispersed camping for me is definitely the quiet and solitude.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I like the freedom
        To choose when and where

Comment

I like what I'm doing when I'm doing it. So I primitive camp solo when the mood hits. Or state park campground for that mindset.
          I do know that of late I'm more interested in places with electricity.
          Still haven't found an interest in most private campgrounds yet there is still time.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I go camping to get away from crowds and get somewhere, relatively, unspoiled; if possible (much harder since the advent of cheap 4wds and quads, motorcycles etc.).
            The money has little to do with it (if anything it can be more expensive if you include the cost, including maintenance, of the support equipment); mostly its something different/a change of pace/place to unwind/get closer to nature.
            I bring electric lighting but if there is cell service I'm too close to "civilization".

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-08-2016, 10:19 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Out here, you need to make reservations 6 months in advance. So with dispersed, you can just show up.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I would love to find $15 camping.

I like dispersed camping for all the reasons stated so far. I also like it because there is no check in/check out time.

We work odd schedules and sometimes I feel like I am losing out on my paid spot if we don't get there until later in the day. On the flip side, sometimes I am ready to go early in the morning but need to dawdle to wait for check in time.

I also would rather spend the last day relaxing and break camp in late afternoon. Most places are noon checkout. I am too cheap to pay for an additional day just to have a few more hours.
                Last edited by actad; 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

This is just me.. my last time I went camping was around 1996 and it was at the peaks of otter site in the blue ridge mts.. If I remember it had no power near by maybe bathrooms.. but the campground sites here they all have outlets and bathrooms and it's not really my idea of "camping" I'm not really fond of the idea.

I would love to be at one of those sites again

Comment

"Then GO! OR stay. But do it because it is what you WISH to do!" Yeah.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                      I would love to find $15 camping.
                      That's a lot of the reason my group has been going to the same State Forest here in Maryland for the last 30 or so years. There's no dispersed camping within the state and the State parks are all around $30 a night. The Forest is $10 a night.

Comment

I don't stay at our state parks here. The main reason is that they don't allow dogs anywhere except the campsite and paved roads. Defeats the purpose of camping in my mind.

I mostly camp in the national forests - dogs are allowed most anywhere on a leash, cost is $25 or less, and it's usually cool. I do COE campgrounds in the off season as very few of our NP campgrounds are open (or accessible) in winter. The COEs are nice in the winter, quiet with few others. In the summer, they are one big party city.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I like some conveniences like potable water, showers, and toilets nearby but I don't like crowded campgrounds. However, I do like to camp in one particular state park that is overcrowded in the summer. I like to camp in the early spring when the kids are still in school and it is too cool for most tent campers. I usually have the entire tent camping area to myself so I have all the peace and quiet I want. Potable water and pit toilets are within a 100 feet or so depending on which campsite I choose and showers and toilets are less than 1/2 a mile away. It's kind of like dispersed camping but it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            That's a lot of the reason my group has been going to the same State Forest here in Maryland for the last 30 or so years. There's no dispersed camping within the state and the State parks are all around $30 a night. The Forest is $10 a night.
                            What forest is that if you don't mind letting me in on your secret? I live in MD also.
                            Last edited by Kodiakxj; 03-30-2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I like both types of caming ,sometimes I like being around people sometimes I just want to get out away from it all.I'm lucky to have enough land to do that when the mood hits me.

Comment

Working...
                              X