Camp prepping! What are you doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp prepping! What are you doing?

Well, it seems I am constantly reworking my camping set up. This winter is no different. I was sold a chuck box for $1. I really like it. But I decided to go with nesting Coleman cookware instead of cast iron. Totally due to weight and more flexibility in the same space. And I decided to go with enamel dinnerware. Plates, bowls and actual silver ware. So tonight I picked up 3 fish pans, so I can do dishes.
    Now the bad news, is the chuck box is a little to small. So I am going to make one to match my needs.

Are you redoing any of your camp setups?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Camp prepping! What are you doing?

Yes. I like the easy set up of the Coleman Instant Cabin Tents. I now have three sizes as I just picked up the 8 person on closeout this week at Walmart for $80.
    I ordered a backpacking Guide Gear teepee tent from Sportsman's Guide for last weekend for $31 when they had their free shipping special. That one is nice complement to my Kamprite IPS tent as I can keep both of them in my vehicle along with a bedroll and be ready to camp.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I'm always messing with my gear. I'm constantly trying to balance bulk vs gadgets. Love my toys/want to see how little space I can pack things into. I have a bunch of lists for different trips, all depending on the weather, the size of the group and which tent I want to take. I keep going over the lists trying to figure out what I can leave at home and what else I might want to add. With a trip coming up next month with at least a dozen people, we're sure it's going to turn into a party in the woods. That means I'm going to need more power for more lights and to run a bigger inverter for my amplified speaker and the AC LED rope lights I just bought. SO... I just got another 100 watt solar panel and a new controller which will be my project this weekend. I need to turn the two panels into a folding unit... a hinge, a handle, a couple of latches, a new collapsible stand and rewired to the new controller. When that's done, I want to figure out how to use the panels as a suitcase to keep all my "electricals" inside without damaging anything.

Comment

Found a 10 person easy 2 minute set up tent on clearance at Target for $99. No more than we go, it'll last awhile. My big focus is improving set up time and skills. Not very good with various knots and takes too long for me to set everything up. Wife and kids start to get bored. Of course they end up happy I did some extra, like rain cover. Would love to learn about solar panels to power lights and such. Maybe one day. Another new item for us this year are self inflating sleep pads. Got the 2.5 inch Coleman. I think these will make a big difference.

Comment

I go through my clipper each year and reconfigure space, eliminate items that aren't used, and so on. And this spring, I am replacing the carpet for flooring (Yeah!!!!).

My gear itself is pretty well settled right now. It's working to the point that it's almost too easy... if I can get other things in my life that smooth, I might be able to start re-working my camera gear a bit.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Since I'm getting closer to purchasing an RV yet want to continue tent camping my equipment needs are changing.
            I'm more interested in tools that multitask; are more compact, give me the best bang for my buck and are aesthetically "purty".
            My goal is to fit the majority of the gear in 2 thirty gallon containers and my largest amt of equipment currently is in the kitchen department. Been assiduously editing "stuff" down. Viewing new camp kitchen setups with an eye towards weight and compactness. I still love my original camp kitchen (Cabela's deluxe kitchen) yet see it as a something I wont want to use w/ the RV (want to keep indoor cooking to a bare minimum) and already dont use it on short trips.

My next immediate want is one more structured folding chair.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Since I'm getting closer to purchasing an RV yet want to continue tent camping my equipment needs are changing.
              I'm more interested in tools that multitask; are more compact, give me the best bang for my buck and are aesthetically "purty".
              My goal is to fit the majority of the gear in 2 thirty gallon containers and my largest amt of equipment currently is in the kitchen department. Been assiduously editing "stuff" down. Viewing new camp kitchen setups with an eye towards weight and compactness. I still love my original camp kitchen (Cabela's deluxe kitchen) yet see it as a something I wont want to use w/ the RV (want to keep indoor cooking to a bare minimum) and already dont use it on short trips.

My next immediate want is one more structured folding chair.
              I use the same chairs, tables , and cook stove when we use the travel trailer as I do when I tent camp, except we add a bigger Coleman stove for making meals and use the little cookstove to boil water for tea during the day. We also keep indoor cooking to a minimum.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                Yes. I like the easy set up of the Coleman Instant Cabin Tents. I now have three sizes as I just picked up the 8 person on closeout this week at Walmart for $80.
                I ordered a backpacking Guide Gear teepee tent from Sportsman's Guide for last weekend for $31 when they had their free shipping special. That one is nice complement to my Kamprite IPS tent as I can keep both of them in my vehicle along with a bedroll and be ready to camp.
                I wish I would of known about the teepee!
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                  Are you redoing any of your camp setups?

I think about them when ever I can find the time...My primary direction right now is more comfort yet easy setup.

Picked up a Standing Room tent to get more space... the old dome has gotten too tight for more than an overnighter. The new tent was selected after trying out a canopy with walls and having great space, head & shoulder room, on a similar foot print.

I try to limit gadgets especially kitchen/cooking gadgets (they will someday take over the world, IMO). ...so I have settled, once again, on a box (missile container) and do every thing possible to limit the gear to the box... If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go (Well... except for the coffee cups... must, limit,, except fors...Got to limit...).

(edit) I am doing a rethink/ruminating on, some kind of wash station/vanity setup to incorporate a coat & hat rack and possibly the porta-potti to maximize limited floor space.

My biggest decision right now is whether to build a portable propane fire pit or buy one.. its been very dry here and if this continues fires/burning will be banned this summer (locally).

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-11-2016, 07:46 AM.
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                    I use the same chairs, tables , and cook stove when we use the travel trailer as I do when I tent camp, except we add a bigger Coleman stove for making meals and use the little cookstove to boil water for tea during the day. We also keep indoor cooking to a minimum.
                    Yeehup! That's exactly my end goal. I currently have a 2 burner white gas Coleman - do you think I need a bigger one?

Oh right and I forgot to mention that the camp prepping that is currently taking up most of my time is make ahead meals and veggie prep.
                    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      I think about them when ever I can find the time...My primary direction right now is more comfort yet easy setup.

I try to limit gadgets especially kitchen/cooking gadgets (they will someday take over the world, IMO). ...so I have settled, once again, on a box (missile container) and do every thing possible to limit the gear to the box... If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go (Well... except for the coffee cups... must, limit,, except fors...Got to limit...).

(edit) I am doing a rethink/ruminating on, some kind of wash station/vanity setup to incorporate a coat & hat rack and possibly the porta-potti to maximize limited floor space.

Enjoy!
                      A missile container? Obviously not a Titan:D. Got pic?
                      The funny thing about the kitchen gear taking over my world is that doesn't happen at home. I'm renowned for my disdain for anything that would clutter up my limited counter space; some how outside I went wild for a time, LOL.
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        A missile container? Obviously not a Titan:D. Got pic?
                        The funny thing about the kitchen gear taking over my world is that doesn't happen at home. I'm renowned for my disdain for anything that would clutter up my limited counter space; some how outside I went wild for a time, LOL.
                        (Edit; from a post over at expedition portal);
                        http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...uck-Box/page74
                        The box is a "Guided Missile Container, MK34 mod.0", its got places for 2 rounds. Due to the apparently fat stumpy size of the locations its proabaly just for part (explosive projectile is stenciled on the box) of the missile.
                        The coffee pot appears bigger due to the wide angle lens on the old digital camera; its an 8 cup Faberware.
                        I believe the still make the brass Svea 123R stove (pretty spendy now); its origins reach nearly into the 1800s from what I have heard although this one has served me well only since the 1970s.

Off the top of my head (might forget something);
                        The box has an attached wooden cutting board, with a campfire grill and folding 8" fry pan (containing a kitchen towel). Held in place by a military vehicle small cargo strap of some kind.
                        msr bowl
                        8" tongs
                        small wisk
                        plastic spatula
                        saltshaker
                        Svea 123R stove with pot an holder, eyedropper (for priming) & BIC lighter; wrapped in a shop towel secured by a Velcro strap.
                        3 or 4 ounce bottle of vegetable oil.
                        1 oz. squeeze bottle liquid soap.
                        Sigg 0.3 L fuel bottle with UCO easy pour spout, wrapped in a shop towel secured by a Velcro strap, in a Slumberjack pillow bag.
                        approx. 3" x 3" x 4.5" square plastic coffee jar.
                        MSR Seagull pot with cover (I thin its the smallest size), with a plastic scrubbie in the lid, and a spare BIC lighter, a bundle of toothpicks, 4 spring style clothes pins, and 3 - 1oz ounce spice bottles (garlic powder, minced onion and sugar).
                        an Ove glove
                        a pocket watch.
                        2 square plates (they fit better).
                        a folding aluminum windscreen.
                        a double wall cup, minus the handle in a can cooler.
                        a cheap camp usa locking folder.
                        a fabric pencil box with;
                        can opener, cut down steak knife, cut down small spatula, diamond knife sharpener,4 stainless spoons, 4 stainless forks, 4 cut down stainless table knives (walmart's cheapest) and a plastic pot scraper.

(whew!)

Enjoy!
                        Here it is;
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-11-2016, 08:25 AM.
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

You fit a lot in that box which I would guesstimate to be about .......1-1/2 ft in length, 10" width and 8"-9" in depth. I bow low to your fitting abilities!

Your frying pan reminds me of my first camping dedicated camp kitchen equipment. Bought it back in the '70's but ditched it when Teflon issues came to the fore. Now the only pan I have with a folding handle is a cast iron griddle pan which I've stopped taking camping w/ me; 1 CI skillet and a 2.5-3.5 qt. pot are the best I've been able to downgrade to to date.
                          2017:

Comment

The fitment is due to a lot of trial and error...(I entertain easily).
                            Yep, this is about the 4th (maybe 8th?) replacement pan... the Teflon issues typically stem from overheating; so its not for campfire use.
                            Mostly we grill over the campfire, occasionally the pan is used for fried bacon & eggs, or the bacon in BLTs.

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I think I am always building and adapting my camping and outdoors gear. I think this is the best time of year to be thinking about it too. Craigslist, garage sales, thrift stores, all great ways to be grabbing items and finding things that can be adapted or re-manufactured, re-imagined to make great camping stuff. I'm always on the prowl.

Comment

Working...
                              X