Talk me through Picking a Material to Repair my Camp Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me through Picking a Material to Repair my Camp Kitchen

The lightweight counter top to my Cabela camp kitchen broke in the center and I've been hiding the hole by placing the Coleman stove over it for a season or two. Lazee lima bean here.

Have or can borrow most any electric tool needed for the replacement so that's not the prob. My super and maintenance man have gotten used to me talking tool capabilities and no longer laugh behind my back or try discussing the issues with the man.........progress?

Anywho......can any one think of a counter top material that is stronger than 1/8" Formica backed by 1/8" Masonite that can still be held up by a.........2" wide ribbed s/s edging?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Talk me through Picking a Material to Repair my Camp Kitchen

Not sure exactly what it looks like, but maybe you could build a small frame of 1x's and sandwich plywood on either side?

Comment

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=2&top_cat=181

Comment

Will call them on Monday:glasses:
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

You could try a piece of Duroc...or plywood, or polyethylene, or acrylic. Whatever you can get your hands on.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

OK, the link MacGyver posted is polyethylene. They make inexpensive cutting boards out of that. Worth a try.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Alucabond might be worth looking at. It's a thin sheet of polythelene sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminum. No rust, sturdy, and a great material for the creative types.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                OK, the link MacGyver posted is polyethylene. They make inexpensive cutting boards out of that. Worth a try.
                You'd be surprised by the lack of stuff in my local HDs. Oh and Lowe's finally opened a store in Manhattan but it's really a glorified appliance store. Ahhhhhh for the days of independent hardware stores that dinna get most of their money from small appliances and silly pre packaged badly made nails, screws and picture hangers:zzz:.
                2017:

Comment

Home Depot and Lowe's suck! The majority of their employees are equally qualified to scoop ice cream and/or don't care if you find what you're looking for or not. Most of my local MacGyvering money goes to Ace Hardware stores and other locally owned stores. They cost a bit more, but you're not lining the pockets of some CEO somewhere when you shop there. I'd rather pay for some guy who trying to put his daughter through college.

Comment

FYI, if you are a vet, you can 10% off at Home Depot and Lowes. I have a veterans identifier on my drivers license, so I just show that and get 10% off. I usually know what I am looking for, so I just need them to tell me where it is located. Plus, since I have looked it up online before I go, I usually know the aisle and bay number.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      Home Depot and Lowe's suck! The majority of their employees are equally qualified to scoop ice cream and/or don't care if you find what you're looking for or not. Most of my local MacGyvering money goes to Ace Hardware stores and other locally owned stores. They cost a bit more, but you're not lining the pockets of some CEO somewhere when you shop there. I'd rather pay for some guy who trying to put his daughter through college.
                      Have to agree
                      Reminds me of when i needed a drain for a dual sink set up
                      After 10 minutes of explaining
                      The guy went around gathering parts to rig a make shift set up
                      Had to be like 20 parts at $5-$10 per part
                      I explained that its too many parts each connection is a potential leak point
                      And the price comes $100-$200 for a $20 part

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        The local Ace which also had a lumberyard closed down about.....8-9 years back. Loved to dumpster dive in their discarded lumber cuts as did half the nabe, LOL. I suspect they charged more on certain services to make up for the loss; dinna bother me because when I had some crazy project like making a curtain rod out of piping or making a rolling pantry from pre-made box shelves they patiently walked me through the entire project and explained the pros and cons of my choice of material. Don't get that kind of service at Home Depot but they do have custom curtain making, interior designers, contracting services and lots and lots of washing machines, plastic potted foliage and other "stuff". Not what I really go to a hardware store for....

And I'm still peeved that I had to buy brass set screws for my interior doors and a skeleton interior door key online instead of w/i walking distance of my house. And to me walking distance is a few miles cuz I'm a native New Yorker. Finally decided to slip my super a bit more at Christmas so he'd let me wander thru apts that were slated for gut rehab.

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                        FYI, if you are a vet, you can 10% off at Home Depot and Lowes. I have a veterans identifier on my drivers license, so I just show that and get 10% off. I usually know what I am looking for, so I just need them to tell me where it is located. Plus, since I have looked it up online before I go, I usually know the aisle and bay number.
                        I'll tell the man to show his card next time we buy Cowboy Charcoal at HD :glasses:
                        2017:

Comment

terasec- hear ya. When looking for set screws I had to 'splain what they were to HD clerks. Sighhhhhhhh.
                          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-27-2016, 06:08 PM.
                          2017:

Comment

I'm not sure what your "camp kitchen" looks like, but if you wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make a cutting board out of the replacement surface, Cuttingboards.net can make a piece out of various materials and thicknesses, cut to size to a fraction of an inch, for a reasonable price. I just got a 1/4 inch board from them and can highly recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                              I'm not sure what your "camp kitchen" looks like, but if you wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make a cutting board out of the replacement surface, Cuttingboards.net can make a piece out of various materials and thicknesses, cut to size to a fraction of an inch, for a reasonable price. I just got a 1/4 inch board from them and can highly recommend them.
                              My current camp kitchen looks like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...e+camp+kitchen

I want to repair it and then sell it sometime this year since I want a camp kitchen that will function better for RVing and camping.

Adding Cuttingboards.net to my list of calls for Monday.
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X