My attempt at a chuck box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My attempt at a chuck box

Here are some pictures of my Chuck box build. It is not perfect, or finished. I am fairly happy with it so far, but not really liking my wobbly 3/4" EMT legs.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_155015346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	72887Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160325_150134086.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	72888Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160325_150143755.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	72889Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_154955281.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	72890
    Last edited by Kodiakxj; 03-30-2016, 08:59 AM.

Re: My attempt at a chuck box

Nice job! I've been toying with the idea of making a chuck box myself and love to see how others have done it. I'm sure someone will have suggestions on leg options to make them a little more sturdy.
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I can't quite tell from the picture, but if the side walls are thick enough, I would try some brass inserts and wooden legs that are wider than the 3/4" legs you have now. (Hanger bolts in the ends, of course.)

If that won't work, maybe try some attachment plates with wooden legs.

Wider legs up against the box or attachment plates will add some stability without the need for cross bracing.
      Last edited by MacGyver; 03-30-2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Is the carcass made from 1/2 or 3/4 "marine plywood? The marine aspect is just an assumption on my end.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Carcass? The box is made from regular plywood I had leftover from another project. I think it is 1/2". Marine would be nice; although I believe it would contain chemicals that you wouldn't want in the same place you are cooking food. If time/money allows, I was going to paint the whole thing with an exterior grade paint.

MacGyver, thank you for your input. Right now I have drilled 1" holes (all at the same angles) and the emt just slides into the hole. I was going to use galvanized threaded pipe and pipe flanges screwed into the bottom, but it was going to cost over $40 so I thought I would try the EMT. I might end up doing like some other people have and making another box that this one will go into, and then when it is time to unpack, flip it over and set this box on top. I'm not sure if I have enough wood laying around for that though, and it would add considerable weight/bulk to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakxj View Post
            Carcass? The box is made from regular plywood I had leftover from another project. I think it is 1/2". Marine would be nice; although I believe it would contain chemicals that you wouldn't want in the same place you are cooking food. If time/money allows, I was going to paint the whole thing with an exterior grade paint.

MacGyver, thank you for your input. Right now I have drilled 1" holes (all at the same angles) and the emt just slides into the hole. I was going to use galvanized threaded pipe and pipe flanges screwed into the bottom, but it was going to cost over $40 so I thought I would try the EMT. I might end up doing like some other people have and making another box that this one will go into, and then when it is time to unpack, flip it over and set this box on top. I'm not sure if I have enough wood laying around for that though, and it would add considerable weight/bulk to the project.
            I think "carcass" is what the wooden box is called before any shelves or maybe even doors are installed. I learned aspects of wood working from a French speaking person so might be using the wrong word for English. Dinna even think of how marine plywood's off gases might affect the food; smart you!

Hmmm stronger legs.....how about right/"L" angle galvanized steel using (can't think of the true name) adjustable plates so the legs can fold in? Would take up less space for storage and with a full metal plate bottom balance the load when filled.

ETA: Just read MacGyver's solution and it sounds like you found your zone:glasses:
            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-30-2016, 01:06 PM.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

If you want to stay with your EMT, maybe this will work. Boards bolted to the sides of the box, holes drilled on angles for the EMT. Hopefully the picture will help that make sense. Will definitely help with the front to back stability, less so side to side.

Comment

That is a great picture! That is a better version of what I did. I only have the lower of the 2 cross pieces, and only drilled half way through, so they don't slide out the top.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some pre-made folding legs roughly 18" tall? Still exploring options.

Comment

Check some online trailer parts stores (or ebay) for RV table legs. There might be something that will work.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Hmm. If the size is right, could you strip the canvas off a folding side table (like the chairs in a bag) and make holes in the underside of the box to fit the legs?

That would let you remove the legs for storage (or if you have a table, etc., to use that trip), and when you do use the legs, just slide the table over their tops. The x-style of the legs could offer more stability.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                      Hmm. If the size is right, could you strip the canvas off a folding side table (like the chairs in a bag) and make holes in the underside of the box to fit the legs?

That would let you remove the legs for storage (or if you have a table, etc., to use that trip), and when you do use the legs, just slide the table over their tops. The x-style of the legs could offer more stability.
                      That setup can be bought without cannibalizing anything. One of my friends uses it for his chuckbox.

Comment

Cool! Where did you find that?

Comment

I don't think 3/4 eMt is the way to go. What s the length of your legs? I have seen some on Pinterest that make a wooden stand for the box.
                          Kind of like the one on the page

http://scoutmastercg.com/portable-chuck-box/
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            That setup can be bought without cannibalizing anything. One of my friends uses it for his chuckbox.
                            That's it! It'd be easy to create a "pocket" on either side of the bottom of the box to fit over the horizontal top bars - that would keep it from sliding off, etc. And, again, if you wanted to set it up on a picnic table, you could easily do so and leave the stand folded away.

Quick search on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200002...ing+camp+stand

Comment

The holes for the legs are too shallow. If you would drill through the lower brace and let them rest against the upper brace the legs would be much more stable. You would have to have longer lengths of EMT but EMT is cheap compared to some of the other options. Also if you could find a corner clamp for EMT you could add that halfway up the side and I think you would have pretty stable legs.

If you are worried about marine plywood off gassing then I wouldn't carry my camp fuel in the same box with my food. There is almost always some spillage on the outside of the can and though the cans are pretty tough, bouncing around inside a box a can could be punctured and a small leak would ruin a lot of food.
                              Last edited by JoeN; 04-02-2016, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X