Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help understanding propane, as it pertains to regulators (when do I need one?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help understanding propane, as it pertains to regulators (when do I need one?)

I am interested in using a single 20 lbs propane tank to power my camp stove(s) and barbecue.

My stove and bbq are the standard camping style that typically connect to the 16 oz propane cylinders. Obviously, Coleman would like us to burn through as many of these as possible--but I'd prefer using a larger tank for efficiency and convenience.

I've shopped around, and am confused; I've seen regulators that reduce the pressure to 10 lbs (having read that the tanks have pressures ranging from 50-150 lbs). These typically have one or two outlet hoses (but aren't of the same thread as the small propane cylinders). It would SEEM to me that the small stoves and bbq's would require low pressure. My stove has a small regulator that connects to small cylinders (but I'm not sure if I can connect it directly to a 20 lbs tank--or if I need a regulator in between the tank and the small regulator that came with the stove (threaded for the small tanks).

I've seen the Coleman propane tree, which APPEARS to not have a regulator. In the product shots, it appears to be connected directly to stoves (suggesting that a regulator is not necessary).

However, I also want to connect a larger style stove (like a Carolina Cooker) to the 20 lbs tank. The hose that is shown for this includes the regulator (where it attaches to the main tank). I would have assumed that the larger burner would require more psi than the smaller stoves...yet the fact that the larger stove requires a regulator makes me second guess my assumption about the Coleman tree (paragraph above).

So, in summary, I want to connect a Carolina Cooker stove, a standard Primus type of stove, and a Char Broil type of bbq (cylinder screws onto valve) to one 20 lbs tank.

How do I do this?

Thx

Re: Help understanding propane, as it pertains to regulators (when do I need one?)

Hey Huskyfan, welcome to the Forum!

I'm not a propane camper, but bumping this to allow others to see and respond. Happy Camping!!!
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Re: Help understanding propane, as it pertains to regulators (when do I need one?)

You cannot connect the Coleman stove directly to the bulk propane tank. They do make a hose that can run between them but the tree will also do this. The tree connects directly to the tank and then you will need to get a hose to connect the tree to the stove. You will want one that goes from a distribution post to an appliance. It will NOT have a regulator on it. This hose will screw on to the same brass colored piece of your stove that the one pound tanks do. The trees are nice because you can also add a propane lantern to the top of it if you ever cook when sunlight is not available. I believe, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, that the bress part of the stove is the regulator.

For the Carolina Cooker you can connect it directly to the bulk tank. You will not be able to run the Carolina Cooker off of the tree. They do make an adapter that allows you to attach it but you will most likely find it will not be able to provide sufficient pressure to run the Carolina Cooker. It you need to run both of them at the same time you will need a second bulk tank.

I was wrong about the second tank. See my next post.
      Last edited by Diveralan; 04-06-2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I just looked on Amazon and it looks like it might be possible to do what you want.
        You would need to purchase two items.
        1. "Lasco 17-5361 Propane Fitting Tee"
        2. "Stansport 191 Appliance-to-bulk-tank Hose"

In this case you would not use a tree. If you want to use a tree this one would work.
        Century Two-Piece 18-30" Type 1 Safety Post

Comment

If you're still unsure what or how to do what you want, give the people at Gas Hoses and Regulators a call. They can make anything propane related that you could possibly want.

Comment

They make off the shelf adaptors that will let you connect a 20lp tank to lanterns stover Mr heaters. Wallmart Lowes home depot. About 30 per house. And a tee conecter to hook up more then one at the same time. All pay for them self's quickly

Comment

Working...
            X