Wood walking stick question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood walking stick question.

My father made me a wooden walking stick and then... died. Yup. He knew he was dying and he made me a walking stick in his final days.

The walking stick is precious to me, but I do want to use it and not just put it on the "Dad Memory Alter".

SO, I would like to add some kind of tip to the end. I am hoping that the tip will protect the walking stick from wearing out or breaking at tip. I also hope that it will be functional. It would be a simple thing to add a rubber cap, but I am wondering if it would prove to be too slippery.

Do you guys have some suggestions?

Re: Wood walking stick question.

I have a hickory cane that was my dad's and several hand carved ones I have picked up over the years. I know what you mean when you say you want to use it.

I like this tip as it has a retractable ice grip.
    http://www.fashionablecanes.com/3209.html

This one is good for different trail conditions, but it took me a bit to get used to the wider base.
    http://www.fashionablecanes.com/1617.html
    Last edited by actad; 04-20-2016, 10:47 PM.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

i would fire harden the end,
      think your dad would appreciate the traditional method over a rubber cap
      before trying it on your dads walking stick, practice on other sticks until you dont burn the wood
      you can also coat the bottom in pine resin,

Comment

When I was doing the hiking thing I used to put a piece of copper pipe or a copper pipe cap on the business end of walking sticks and sometimes a crutch tip over that (note; copper pipe caps are rounded and quite slippery on most surfaces).
        To keep the copper on the end of the stick/staff after the wood dries out I used clear epoxy then drill a small pilot hole in the side and put in a copper or stainless nail. If you want to keep the copper replaceable (it does wear if no crutch tip is used) don't use epoxy.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-21-2016, 09:21 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have my Papa (paternal grandfather)'s walking stick which has a wicker/rattan ending complete with peg holes. I dread the day I'll need to replace it so am following this thread avidly.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Can someone please explain to me why buying a walking stick makes sense? I have always just picked one up on the trail...and usually leave it at the camp site when I leave.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

i have a hiking staff that doubles as a tent pole...
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Walking sticks can be things of beauty and tradition.

I have a tobacco stick that I bought to use as a walking stick - beautiful patina and smooth finish. My mother spent part of her childhood on a tobacco farm in Southern Maryland, and it reminds me of her stories.

I camped in Kentucky last May and bought some hand carved sticks at a roadside market. Wonderfully patterned and I enjoyed talking to the carver.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by actad; 04-24-2016, 10:10 PM.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
                X