Probably a dumb guestion from a new camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably a dumb guestion from a new camper

I just joined CampingForums because my wife and I are getting ready to go camping with an enclosed utility trailer that has 110V lights and fans. I was looking at power cords for rv's and they seem to have a 30-amp plug with one round and two flat blades at an angle.

Two questions:

1: is this the type of outlet we can expect to find at RV places, State Parks and other places where we might camp?

2: Is it only 110VAC right?

Re: Probably a dumb guestion from a new camper

Most RV sites will have both 50 A and 30 A outlets though some have the 30 A only. However, every RV site I have been to had a standard 20 A convenience outlet regardless of the RV hookups. You should be OK with a standard 20 A/110 v plug.

The 30A outlets you described are 120 VAC but the 50 A outlets are 220 VAC. The standard plugs, like household plugs, are 120 VAC.
    Last edited by JoeN; 05-13-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Not dumb at all ,welcome to the forum any more questions just ask .like JoeN said just use the standard 20A receptacle should be good to go .

Comment

I'm too electrically dopey to answer your question yet welcome to the site!:money:
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-13-2016, 07:19 PM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

You should also pick up an adapter for 15amp (your regular household plug) to a 30amp (the smaller amp of the RV type). I have been camping where the 15 amp plug at the electric pole was not working, so it was nice to have that as an option when I wanted to run an extension cord to my tent to charge my cell phone or laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55233-El.../dp/B00192QB3I

Last edited by actad; 05-13-2016, 07:41 PM.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Thanks all.

I got a 30 amp cable and a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter so that should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeN View Post
              Most RV sites will have both 50 A and 30 A outlets though some have the 30 A only. However, every RV site I have been to had a standard 20 A convenience outlet regardless of the RV hookups. You should be OK with a standard 20 A/110 v plug.

The 30A outlets you described are 120 VAC but the 50 A outlets are 220 VAC. The standard plugs, like household plugs, are 120 VAC.
              30 amp is most likely 240v as well
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                30 amp is most likely 240v as well
                I stand corrected
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                X