Pop up vs Travel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop up vs Travel trailer

Looking at buying our second camper as a family . Having trouble deciding which to buy with limited parking space. Want something to use for many years . Concern with travel trailer is won't fit in garage so can't keep it out of weather year round.

Re: Pop up vs Travel trailer

Seems that the small travel trailers that would fit in our driveway don't have near as much bed room as a pop up .

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I have no experience with these so I got no advice to give.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

When we had a popup I found these things inconvenient..... I had to set it up to load and unload the camper. I also had a set up time to sleep in it, and take it down before pulling out in the morning. I also needed to set it up to dry it out before storing it. I guess the theme here is I hated setting up and taking down a popup.
        Travel trailers have their problems to. Size especially. I camp in a Teardrop. It's always ready to go and has a footprint no larger then a small popup without the setup issues, but they don't work for a family unless someone sleeps in a tent along side. Some people modify a tent to fit one side of the trailer. They open one door and fit the tent around the opening and the kids sleep there. They are only an arms length from mom and dad.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
          I guess the theme here is I hated setting up and taking down a popup.
          Maneuver the trailer into the spot.
          Unhook it.
          Crank it up.
          Level it.
          Set the legs.
          Pull out the beds.
          Set the canvas.
          Set the bed frames in place.
          Flip the galley.
          Drop the door.
          Secure canvas to the door.
          Almost ready to camp.

What's to hate?

Oh yeah - reversing all of that and, in the end, struggling to make sure all the canvas is tucked away so it doesn't get pinched when closing the camper. Most likely having to sit on the lid to get it latched is another joy I don't miss.

Comment

MacGyver, once I see you spell out all the steps, reminded me how much I really did hate it. To me a popup is like a boat or a pool table. Two of the happiest days of your life are the day you get them and the day you get rid of them.

Comment

I would go popup easy to get around more like a tent,but that's just me sorry not much help.go with what fits your family and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                I guess the theme here is I hated setting up and taking down a popup.
                I would agree only owned a pop up briefly
                Slept 1 cold miserable night in it
                Didnt pop it down soon enough and it collapsed under first snow storm off the season
                I dont miss it at all

Comment

We have owned three pop ups, and, while nice, a tent is easier to set up and enjoy (MacGyver nailed it), minus the AC in the dead heat of summer. Just two months ago, we traded our last pop up on a small hybrid camping trailer. Same size as a 24 ft travel trailer in a more compact 16 ft package. While it probably won't fit in a standard garage, it takes up little more parking space than our pop ups did. Packing and set up is MUCH easier and faster than a pop up (up and done in 10 minutes on first trip). We found out on our first trip, which was cold and rainy, we stayed warmer and dryer when needed. Just giving you another option to look at.

David

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by astrowolf67; 05-17-2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I have an 18ft travel trailer that stays outside all year. Has a bed, a dinette, two bunks, a galley kitchen, and a bathroom - no slides and few frills. The biggest plus for me is to unhook, attach water and electric if not dry camping, press a button to fire up the water heater, and that is all that is needed to do. It is great for my husband and me to camp in.

My parents had a '66 Bethany pop up and I swore to never have one. Now, they seem pretty nice with automatic roofs and AC. But, if I went that route, I would get an Aliner type of hardsided pop up.

If it was just me and I did not want to tent camp, I would be more inclined to stick a topper on the pickup and sleep in the bed of the truck.
                    Last edited by actad; 05-20-2016, 06:41 PM.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

With a hard-sided trailer, you can store all your camping gear in it full-time; you can driveway camp when you can't get away (or the kids want a cool slumber party); you don't have the set-up/take-down work.

With a pop-up, you get a smaller trailer that is lighter weight (usually); you get more of a "tent" feeling when camping.

My dad had a pop-up - I remember being at the house when he came home from a trip. He set it up and unloaded everything, then took it down. And THEN he realized he forgot something inside... If you're forgetful, that could become a recurring problem.

For me, I prefer the hard-sided (a hybrid would be OK) because I can park and go straight to bed. I like not having to do a lot of work just to sleep - a bed pre-made and ready can feel really good.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                      X