Advice for Camping with Baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Camping with Baby!

Hi all! I am a new mom of a almost six month old daughter, and a new found lover of camping! Last spring my husband and I used our tax money to buy a tent and a few other things and we borrowed the rest and took off camping with my then 15 year old brother, his 15 year old friend and my then 4 year old step son! I planned and planned for about two weeks and still ended up forgetting stuff.. like enough blankets for my brothers.. sorry boys.. I know it got pretty chilly. And everything was just so cluttered an chaotic.. which kinda bummed the trip out just a little bit for me (I thrive in a well organized place)

The camping bug has gotten a hold of me again and we are planning on buying the rest of the gear that we need/want and taking a camping trip in a few weeks. A month or so, probably the third weekend in June. Having more time to plan and organize and pack(Which I am sooo excited to do!) will be awesome.. But I am stressed and nervous about taking the baby!

I live and will be camping in Western North Carolina, on the lake(about 30 minuets away from home.. which is okay because it only takes about 10 minuets from home to be away from everything!) and we will be camping friday threw monday!

My question is.. What do I need to bring to make my life easier? And even more importantly.. I need help with coming up with a packing list for my 6 month old(by the trip she will almost be 7 months old).

Any tips and advice is welcomed!

Thanks All!!

Re: Advice for Camping with Baby!

First welcome, you can Google camping checklist and pick the one you like.everyone (family) is different in what's important to take ,it usually takes several trips to figure out what you need and what you dont.you can fix meals at home freeze and take with you ,or just keep it simple while camping sandwich for lunch burger for dinner,plastic totes from Walmart work good for packing stuff and are cheap, might help if your brother and his friend had their own tent if that's doable. Hope I able to help,anymore questions just ask ,were headed to julian price memorial weekend .

Comment

Originally posted by EmbersMom View Post
      My question is.. What do I need to bring to make my life easier?
      Oh, is that all?

Well, the simple answer is everything....the long answer starts with everything and and then starts to simplify. When I started camping again after a LONG hiatus I realized that I was basically starting from scratch. This is what I did. I tried to take everything. I have an F150 with a longbed and figured that there would be plenty of room for everythig that I could possibly want to take. While I was right, it is because I am amazingly good at packing...and still everthing barely fit....for a weekend trip...for 3 people.

By comparison, the last time I went camping (just me and my dog this time) I had so much extra room that I had to rearange everything to keep it from sliding around. And next time I will have even more room as I continue to make adjustments and refine things.

So, to answer your question. Take everythjng that will fit and then start to eliminate things you dont use/need. I agree with wecamp04 in that you can find camping lists on just about anywhere online (including somewhere on this forum) and then just pick the stuff that you want/need. Everyone is different. It also makes a difference on what type of camping you will be doing. For example: I don't go to campgrounds. I prefer dispersed camping which means that there is never a bathroom nearby. So my list includes a Lugable Loo (bucket with a toilet seat and waste bags) and probably my 'outhouse' tent.

Sorry, this probably isn't nearly as helpful as you were hoping for. But if you could give some info on what type of camping you are doing and what you already have I/we could probably be more helpful.

Btw, dont worry about your brothers being too cold last time. I can guarantee that they had fun and at worst they have a cool story to remember.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Holy crap....I didnt realize that I wrote so much.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Hi and welcome, EmbersMom.

Here are a few list links that you might find useful. Be sure to tailor them to your own needs. All are printable:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...checklist.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/camping/checklist.htm

I like to pack items by function and type. That means all the bedding, dish towel and bath towels goes in one or 2 of those clear zippered bags that quilts and pillows come in; make sure you remove as much air as possible.

As for kitchen goods, with a well detailed menu (easiest for a weekend trip), I can edit my kitchen gear to a maximum of 2 pots (a 3-4 qt pot and 12" cast iron skillet) does me well for up to 5 people- 2 adults, 3 kids) and non stick aluminum foil serve nicely for cooking. Add on a pair of tongs, serving spoon and pancake turner/spatula and I'm pretty happy especially if I've prepped food stuff ahead. All the above is stored in a heavy duty vinyl shopping bag/tote for me but look around your home and see what you already have; you'll prolly be surprised that no more money needs to be spent immediately.

Toiletries? I try to go for a one size fits all approach when it comes to body cleansing for all ages: https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/LIQUIDSOAP.html

This product can work as shampoo, body wash, laundry detergent AND dish soap.
          Non scented antiperspirant, toothpaste, high SPF sunscreen, high DEET bug spray (at least 25% and you'll get a better bang for your buck using a non aerosol version or lotion) round out the used by all products. I've learned that exfoliating gloves are best for fast drying and all body cleaning over washclothes stored in ziplock bags for my crew although the man insists he has to have a washcloth; takes lil space and since it makes him happy I let him have it :wink2:.

For sitting around the buggy campfire in the evening everyone has a zipper front hoodie and either leggings or sweatpants; they are frequently slept in.

We eat dinner before the sun goes down (5 or 6 o'clock) which keeps buying and using extra lighting to a minimum; 2 lamps and we are fine for the rest of the night. Oh and eating early also means any dish cleaning is done properly, LOL.

Take a look at the food forum on this site and you'll find a lot of prepped ahead dishes, food stuff that mean you don't need to bring a special knife (you have that Swiss knife for a reason, right?:D) and no leftovers for a weekend menus. Here's one make ahead aspect menu that always inspires me in it's use and lack of leftovers even if I don't make any specific thing listed:

http://www.cookinglight.com/entertai...cation-cooking

HTH and enjoy yourselves!:money:
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Great tips from everyone already! Camping with baby can be nerve wracking to plan, but it's really no big deal and doesn't mean a whole bunch of additional gear either. We have two daughters (now 7 and 3) that we started camping with when they were about 6 mos old, I remember all to well thinking it was going to be sooooo much harder with the babies, but it really wasn't and now we have two little ones that LOVE to camp!

Biggies for me were sun and bug protection, other than the normal, food, beverages, clothing and sleeping. Get a good baby sunscreen and safe insect repellent to protect her, age-appropriate food/drinks (I exclusively breastfed until one year, started with jarred baby food/cereal at about 6 mos for a couple weeks, then just mashed up what we were eating, within reason), footed jammies for evening/sleeping/morning and lightweight long pants and t-shirts with a sweatshirt/fleece for daytime (clothing will depend on your climate), and I bed shared with both the girls when they were little, so they just slept with me, but I know many folks that bring along a pack n' play to put in the tent. Other than that, I brought a big picnic blanket that I didn't care if it got dirty, and let the girls hang out on that during the day when we weren't out and about. I also recommend a good front or backpack if you plan on walking/hiking as most strollers won't navigate dirt or hiking trails that well. The soft front packs are nice because they pack up small and are lightweight, but the hard frame backpacks can be handy too, I had a nice Kelty one that actually had a neat "kickstand" feature so the kiddo could stay right in the pack, stood up on the ground. Handy for mealtimes, shower time for me and her big sis, or just chillin' by the campfire.

Like everyone says, you will over-pack like crazy the first couple times, then figure out what you REALLY need and pare it down over time. I still plan on at least two changes of clothes for each day for each kid, bottom line is that they get dirty and accidents happen, so might as well have extra that you don't end up using than be stuck running out of warm, clean, dry clothes.

I do have a few different versions of my packing lists from over the years, let me know if you want to take a peek and I'll gladly post them!

PS - your posts will be moderated until you post 6 times, so if you don't see your replies pop up right off, be patient and go post on a few other threads until you hit 6 posts, then you will be able to post without the delay of being approved. FYI
            Last edited by Shortpants; 05-17-2016, 11:25 AM.
            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

^^^ LOL to the sunscreen for baby. A newly opened Sephora came to a local mall just after the Princess' birth and I bought her a jar of "un everything" sunscreen towelettes for 60 bucks; bizarro case of grandmaitis I tell ya:he:. Errrrrrrrrrrrr now I choose one from lists like this and care not in the least when it gets buried on the beach.

We camp at the beach so I require each parent to send at least 3 bathing suits and one week's worth of clothing; children wear suits for most of the day and thank goodness they are easy to wash and dry.

http://www.parents.com/health/sun-sa...?slideId=40234

For all camping w/ kids- right nowHanna Andersson is having a sale on cotton long sleeved PJs. Now they might look expensive BUT they tend to last the Princess at least 2 summers before she outgrows them.And they come in crazy colors that mean I can see her easily among the horde o kiddos who wander around in pajamas on movie nights. Great bug coverage too since there is less skin out and children seem to always miss some skin:

http://www.hannaandersson.com/catego...sale_sleepwear

Getting a pair for her male cousin who is going camping again too. Fer sure I need to be able to find him:out:
              2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I humbly suggest that if camping with your baby, you should use Dingo's to pack in the extra gear you will need.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                  I humbly suggest that if camping with your baby, you should use Dingo's to pack in the extra gear you will need.
                  But what if the dingos eat your baby?
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                    Gotta remember that line for when "The Wild Ones" try to overwhelm me...........

Originally posted by James. View Post
                    But what if the dingos eat your baby?
                    Wont happen if you cut em into medium rare steaks and serve em with fava beans. And a nice Chianti.
                    2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                      Wont happen if you cut em into medium rare steaks and serve em with fava beans. And a nice Chianti.
                      Very good, Clarice...

Comment

Reading through these comments I suspect that many of us have noooooooooooo sense and could keep the campfire stoked for quite awhile:mdr:
                        2017:

Comment

I believe my son was about this old when we first took him camping. We have a big enough tent, and there was also enough space in the truck to go ahead and bring his playpen. We set this up in the tent with his regular blankets and favorite stuffed animals. I wasn't worried about him getting too cold as I heated the tent. He slept pretty well. Also, you can never have enough snacks. We also brought his enormous stroller.

Comment

I think we lost the OP :-) Dingos....
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakxj View Post
                              I believe my son was about this old when we first took him camping. We have a big enough tent, and there was also enough space in the truck to go ahead and bring his playpen. We set this up in the tent with his regular blankets and favorite stuffed animals. I wasn't worried about him getting too cold as I heated the tent. He slept pretty well. Also, you can never have enough snacks. We also brought his enormous stroller.
                              The Princess was about 10 months old the first time we took her camping and I really can't think of anything special we brought with us past her normal daily baby stuff. Thought about taking the pack and play but decided against it due to car storage constraints; never missed it. When she took her nap one of the adults would lay down w/ her for a bit and then zip the doors up and sit outside until she woke again. I can't recall if we took her stroller or not but we did have a front pack carrier.

I know that when her father and uncle (the Princess is my granddaughter) camped with us as children it was mostly bicycle camping so everything was minimal to the nth. Think the youngest had his fav stuffed toy and the oldest an inflatable beach ball and an UNO card set. Flash forward in time and the Princess has an entire Rubbermaid Action Packer dedicated to her toys:confused:.

Somehow I think both generations of kiddos have/had fun.
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X