Roadtrip in 1 week - so stoked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadtrip in 1 week - so stoked!

So we (that would be me, wife, three youngun's) are leaving on our first camping road trip. Wife and I have gone car camping before the kids, and cabin camping since the kids (last tent camping was when our eldest was 3, he's now 9).
    I've been planning this trip for almost a year and am still working out some of the last details. Anyways, we'll be spending 2 weeks traveling from Chicago to South Dakota (Badlands National Park, Custer State Park) , then on to Wyoming (YSNP, GTNP) and then a return loop either north, with a stop at Theodore Roosevelt NP, or a southern route back along I-80 with a stop or two along the way (the last three days of the trip are currently open for improvisation).
    It's been a big outlay on supplies and equipment to supplement what we had (since most of what we had predated kids ) but its comforting knowing that the initial investment will pay out over many years while the trip itself is a fraction what a fly-away resort vacation would have cost. Planning and purchasing has been mind-boggling.

So any last minute advice? Recommendations for return route?

Re: Roadtrip in 1 week - so stoked!

sounds like a great trip, enjoy
    and dont get too caught up in details and planning,

Comment

jejton and family...live and love your forthcoming trip. Youse have memories in the making galore.

My only current suggestion is to pack up the car the night before, leave early in the morning/late at night to avoid (assumed) weekday traffic and let the kiddos travel in their pjs with bags of pre-cut fruit or whatever non sticky messy food they like. They can get dressed at a rest stop along the way if need be and giggle at the experience.

Have fun out there!
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My advice? Allow time for the unexpected opportunities. Cruise along the highways safely-no hurries. Savor doing the small family things in camp. Enjoy a rainy day outside. Survive a thunderous rain storm together in the tent at night (this one's usually a memory maker-lol). Keep a great attitude. Keep a list of stuff that worked/didn't, stuff you forgot, stuff that could be done better-it'll make you better campers next time. Lastly...have fun man, be a kid. Sounds like a great adventure!!! Oh..and post on the forum when you get back---pics and stories/experiences always welcome!

ps...take good notes...lol...we're heading to Rapid City/Custer State Park/Wind & Jewell Cave Nat'l Park/Rushmore/etc next summer.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'm very jealous of this trip, as it's similar to the one we were planning before things went sideways at the wife's work. We're about an hour north of you and were going to head out to Colorado to hit up my cousin's wedding and then swing north through Yellowstone and head back through the badlands, taking about 2 1/2 weeks.

I don't have a ton of advice that wasn't already offered by hoosier. Take your time and enjoy the experience rather than rushing to see what else is out there. That's always my advice to campers. I'd rather enjoy one or two things than rush through four or five. Also, nothing is as big of an emergency as it seems at the time. The kids are going to have a blast regardless, so when setbacks arise (and they will) laugh it off and keep trucking. Enjoy your trip and come back with lots of stories for those of us that have to live vicariously.
          Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

I'm sure you are in serious countdown mode now.
            Saw this link and thought of you:

http://www.minitime.com/trip-tips/Ti...-Trips-article

I'm sure you know this kind of stuff what with owning a car but hell's bells I'll state the obvious as a calendar reminder for this busy time frame since you can do some of this in advance:

If possible, lay fleece blankets across the back seats. Makes it easier to shake the area out after eating and is comfy to sit and nap on. Bottles of water on the door of each seat are great for drinking and fast cleanups.
            When the weather is hot, store a spray bottle or 2 in the glove compartment and let the kids (and any willing adults) have a water fight at a rest stop; very cooling.
            I find an electronic reader invaluable for long car trips. People can read to themselves or out loud.

Have lots of fun out there!
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Congrats & enjoy the trip !! Great advice already given. I would just like to emphasize the take your time & drive safe points. Traffic in YSNP & GTNP can be overwhelming at times. Sometimes not bad on weekdays, but weekends can be a nightmare. The defensive driving skills definitely get honed. Stay alert, drive safe & have a great time making precious memories !!
              2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Working...
              X