Shade Cloth for Rug Outside of Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shade Cloth for Rug Outside of Tent

I have been looking for a light weight, outdoor rug that drys quickly for the vestibule of the tents that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and folds up small. In my search I read where someone had used shade cloth to make light weight rugs to put at the door of their tent. Now I can't find where I read it.

Has anyone done this? I seem to remember they hemmed the edges and put grommets in the corners to stake it down. Now I am wondering if I should double it?

I mainly want it to have a clean place to crawl out onto when using the small tent, although it would be nice to have a rug in the vestibule of the larger tent.

Re: Shade Cloth for Rug Outside of Tent

Not a shade cloth, but I use the Camco Handi-Mat when tenting. Folds into a square with carry handles and an outside pocket. 60"x78" when unfolded. Walmart just lowered the price, perhaps just for Father's Day.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/46529370?w...899168&veh=sem
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Haven't seen anything re; shade cloth but have seen what I seem to recall was a reasonably priced easily folded mat written about by glitterhiker(?). Gonna do a search and get back to ya.

Oh and I think it was similar to what actad uses!
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I did some searching for sail cloth and all I pretty much saw were blankets for horses. I can't imagine anything equestrian related being all that cheap. On the other hand, the green or blue artificial turf looking carpet that the big box stores sell is really cheap and, being all synthetic, it won't absorb water. That also means it'll rinse off fairly easy when you get home to a garden hose. The stuff isn't all that thick so it'll fold up into next to nothing, making it easy to stuff just about anywhere.

Comment

The "shade cloths" that I have seen used were very light weight tent cloth and were "extra" with some tents.
          For the canopy this year I expect to use a sliver tarp as a floor mat/groundcover; not really light weight...
          Since I primarily Jeep camp weight is not really an issue, for me. The cheapest doormats that I have used inside and outside (2 keeps the tent cleaner) were pieces of thick home carpet, they last 4 or 5 years then get replaced.
          A year or 2 ago I started using a full width, back seat, automobile floor mat (free, left over from a Cherokee that I scrapped), with rubber back and rubber spikes outside the tent. It works fairly well in dry weather but less so in wet, 'though it dries quicker than carpet. it also doesn't catch quite as much sand, however it runs the width of the door and cleans up easier (pressure wash).
          All of these are relatively heavy weight alternatives but will likely last better than the tent cloth material that the shade cloths that I have seen, repurposed for floors, were apparently made from.
          It may turn messy, but you might try making something a relatively lightweight canvass painter's tarp.

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Sheesh I found a reference to the sand mat and uhm then lost it by reading other posts in my search. Oops. I can now say it wasn't GlitterHiker who posted about it and maybeee it was joyeous. Still, if ya do a google on "sand mat" you'll find a variety of products that are larger than you need:(.

How about a regular ol front door mat? Inexpensive and stores nicely in the tire well of most car trunks. Or maybe a yoga mat that you cut to size if weight or portability is needed?
            2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              I did some searching for sail cloth and all I pretty much saw were blankets for horses. I can't imagine anything equestrian related being all that cheap. On the other hand, the green or blue artificial turf looking carpet that the big box stores sell is really cheap and, being all synthetic, it won't absorb water. That also means it'll rinse off fairly easy when you get home to a garden hose. The stuff isn't all that thick so it'll fold up into next to nothing, making it easy to stuff just about anywhere.
              Are you talking about the fake grass? Because I thought about using that stuff because it would be great for wiping shoes on and could be easily cleaned off but then remembered that it gets pretty hot in the sun. Like dont step in it in your bare feet (or maybe even stocking feet) and decided against it.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

The Shade Cloth I am using is a knitted plastic material. It comes in colors, very light weight, water will run through, and it is not supposed to fray when cut. I will be able to store it in the tent sack. The rugs have to dry quickly to pack away when traveling.

We have a sand mat an we love it but it is a lot larger than we want. The sand mat can not be cut down. I contacted the manufacturer and they do not recommend cutting it. Plus the sand mat is really rough on the knees when crawling out of the tent.

I want 2 rugs 2'x3' and one 3x5'. I did find the original site people were mentioning shade cloth for rugs. There were no directions just several people saying it was what they used. I won't be able to work on the rugs for a couple of weeks but I will let you know how they turned out. A roll of shade cloth was $32.00 for a 6' x 15' piece of cloth.

Comment

Would a yoga type mat work? One that rolls out and is waterproof? Shouldnt be to hard to add some gromits in it for steaks.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                    The Shade Cloth I am using is a knitted plastic material. It comes in colors, very light weight, water will run through, and it is not supposed to fray when cut. I will be able to store it in the tent sack. The rugs have to dry quickly to pack away when traveling.

We have a sand mat an we love it but it is a lot larger than we want. The sand mat can not be cut down. I contacted the manufacturer and they do not recommend cutting it. Plus the sand mat is really rough on the knees when crawling out of the tent.

I want 2 rugs 2'x3' and one 3x5'. I did find the original site people were mentioning shade cloth for rugs. There were no directions just several people saying it was what they used. I won't be able to work on the rugs for a couple of weeks but I will let you know how they turned out. A roll of shade cloth was $32.00 for a 6' x 15' piece of cloth.
                    Got link? I'm interested in the how to
                    2017:

Comment

I made my my first rug. It was really easy, it took about an hour. Don't mind the crappy sewing, my machine hates poly thread, I will. Hand stitch next one. I probably could glue it, but I like to sew.

Now that I have made this I decided I will make them so that the stakes holding tent poles will go into the grommets on the tent side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	70528

Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	70527

Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	70529

Comment

Stitches look fine to me.
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                          I made my my first rug. It was really easy, it took about an hour. Don't mind the crappy sewing, my machine hates poly thread, I will. Hand stitch next one. I probably could glue it, but I like to sew.

Now that I have made this I decided I will make them so that the stakes holding tent poles will go into the grommets on the tent side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5559[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5561[/ATTACH]
                          Ya done did good!

Next time maybe a poly/cotton thread will be easier to work with. Coat and Clark's makes a good basic p/c thread with long fibers.
                          2017:

Comment

MadMats sells a 4 X 6 Polypropylene mat for $51.00. These come in bigger sizes for different RV patio/awning areas. We had green ones in the Motorhome.

http://dfohome.com/pla.php?id=FM-MIX...7jYaAqD48P8HAQ
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                              MadMats sells a 4 X 6 Polypropylene mat for $51.00. These come in bigger sizes for different RV patio/awning areas. We had green ones in the Motorhome.

http://dfohome.com/pla.php?id=FM-MIX...7jYaAqD48P8HAQ
                              Those are nice rugs but my requirements are very light weight, folds up small enough to fit in the tent bag, and inexpensive. These fit my needs. I have 2 rugs 21" x 33" for $6.00 and a couple hours time.

Comment

Working...
                              X