Waterproofing Canvas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing Canvas

My current tent is more of an experiment. I am using the bed of my truck with some electrical conduit and a tarp.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160603_075619.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	72908
    So far I am really liking it. Each use is leading to more ideas and refinement. However after just a couple uses I can already see a pinhole in the tarp and it is definately thin in other places. I figure duct tape will work well enough for repairs but obviously the poly tarp isnt a long term solution.

Which led me to my latest idea. I am thinking of getting a canvas drop cloth and just weatherproofing it myself. Has anyone done anything like this before? Weatherproofing canvas from scratch? The other advantage would be that with some basic sewing skills (I am kind of assuming here) that I could make the tarp more of a custom fit on the frame. Right now I am using bungee cords and spring claamps to hold everything in place. And I still havent figured out a way to make an entrance that is easy to use. Addind a zipper into the canvas shouldn't be too hard.

But the first step has to be waterproofing. If i can't do that then it stops there.

Thoughts and ideas?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Waterproofing Canvas

Originally posted by James. View Post
    My current tent is more of an experiment. I am using the bed of my truck with some electrical conduit and a tarp.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5550[/ATTACH]
    So far I am really liking it. Each use is leading to more ideas and refinement. However after just a couple uses I can already see a pinhole in the tarp and it is definately thin in other places. I figure duct tape will work well enough for repairs but obviously the poly tarp isnt a long term solution.

Which led me to my latest idea. I am thinking of getting a canvas drop cloth and just weatherproofing it myself. Has anyone done anything like this before? Weatherproofing canvas from scratch? The other advantage would be that with some basic sewing skills (I am kind of assuming here) that I could make the tarp more of a custom fit on the frame. Right now I am using bungee cords and spring claamps to hold everything in place. And I still havent figured out a way to make an entrance that is easy to use. Addind a zipper into the canvas shouldn't be too hard.

But the first step has to be waterproofing. If i can't do that then it stops there.

Thoughts and ideas?
    thompson waterseal works just fine
    if you dont want to get involved in sewing for a custom fit
    cut roof to size with overlap and add grommets
    have the roof overlap side panels so water runs down the sides
    also may want to give the roof more angle so doesnt pool on the roof

Comment

I have waterproofed canvas to make a hook rug but not sure if it would work for a tent. I just painted it with either polyurethane or urethane. I do know that I didn't sew the edges completely...... stitch about one inch around the perimeter's edge then steam press along the stitch line folding fabric edge towards the center. Fold over another inch and glue fabric to fabric body using weights to remove air pockets and make good contact. Errrrr the last time I did this Yellow Pages were readily available to use as weights so you've a good idea how long ago that was :he:

Now if I wanted to waterproof a larger piece of fabric I think I'd use a different product....maybe something like Repel water repellent but find out from the manufacturer if they've a paint on version instead of aerosol can. What weight canvas are you thinking of using?
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
        thompson waterseal works just fine
        if you dont want to get involved in sewing for a custom fit
        cut roof to size with overlap and add grommets
        have the roof overlap side panels so water runs down the sides
        also may want to give the roof more angle so doesnt pool on the roof
        Thanks. The videos I saw on youtube were of a beeswax and turpentine mix. I never would have thought of using Thompsons. Will it hold even if the water pools up a little bit?

And I thought of using separate panels but dont like the idea of another place for wind to be able to get in.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          I have waterproofed canvas to make a hook rug but not sure if it would work for a tent. I just painted it with either polyurethane or urethane. I do know that I didn't sew the edges completely...... stitch about one inch around the perimeter's edge then steam press along the stitch line folding fabric edge towards the center. Fold over another inch and glue fabric to fabric body using weights to remove air pockets and make good contact. Errrrr the last time I did this Yellow Pages were readily available to use as weights so you've a good idea how long ago that was :he:

Now if I wanted to waterproof a larger piece of fabric I think I'd use a different product....maybe something like Repel water repellent but find out from the manufacturer if they've a paint on version instead of aerosol can. What weight canvas are you thinking of using?
          I honestly don't know. I have been to busy lately with work to even check into that. Got a suggestion?
          – E. B. White

Comment

I honestly don't know. I have been to busy lately with work to even check into that. Got a suggestion?

I'd think somewhere between...12 to 16 oz. And I'd look to a marine store/sail-maker to acquire it.
            Oh and I'd try out samples of different weights with waterproofing to better decide the best for your application.
            Beeswax and turpentine..... a true scent of long ago; used to spend a lot of time at Mystic Seaport, which is a "living" ships museum.
            Which makes me think that might be a good place for you to contact:

http://www.mysticseaport.org/

Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-19-2016, 07:06 AM.
            2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

What about using canvas tarps? I've seen them at truck stops, and, my local Tractor Supply's carry them. They are pretty pricey when you get into the larger sizes, but, they are pretreated for water resistance.

FWIW, Kodiak has a line of canvas truck bed tents. Prices at Competitive Edge seem very reasonable as well. Although, buying premade won't carry the satisfaction of a DIY set up.

David

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                I'd think somewhere between...12 to 16 oz. And I'd look to a marine store/sail-maker to acquire it.
                Oh and I'd try out samples of different weights with waterproofing to better decide the best for your application.
                Beeswax and turpentine..... a true scent of long ago; used to spend a lot of time at Mystic Seaport, which is a "living" ships museum.
                Which makes me think that might be a good place for you to contact:

http://www.mysticseaport.org/

Why a marine store or sail maker? I would imagine both would be scarce here in the middle of the desert.
                – E. B. White

Comment

Why a marine store or sail maker? I would imagine both would be scarce here in the middle of the desert.
                  You're probably right. Maybe take a look at commercial awning makers then.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    You're probably right. Maybe take a look at commercial awning makers then.
                    Yeah, but why even look there ? Will they have better canvas than the drop cloths they have at Home Depot?
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Yeah, but why even look there ? Will they have better canvas than the drop cloths they have at Home Depot?
                      I would hope so - their products are designed for year-round outdoor weather. Drop cloths, probably not so much.

Comment

Errrr because well because I live near the ocean. And lakes. And heckenspeck there is even a pond outside my front door :he:and muahhhh!
                        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-19-2016, 05:43 PM.
                        2017:

Comment

This is what I would use:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                          X