Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Best Lesson that You've Learned from Your Time Camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Best Lesson that You've Learned from Your Time Camping?

9 Lessons We Learn From Backpacking

There's no question that spending time in the great outdoors can teach you some serious lessons...and some not so serious ones, too.

What's the strongest lesson you've learned during your time camping?

ADMIN EDIT NOTE: link removed from post while user is still in moderation que

Re: What's the Best Lesson that You've Learned from Your Time Camping?

1. Weather forecasters often miss.
    2. 75% or more of the people that say they will show; won't.
    3. Some folks just are not made (equipped mentally and/or physically) for the outdoors...
    4. Laid back is often better than gung-ho.
    5. Preparation and experience works.
    6. Things rarely go completely as expected; be flexible.
    7. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      1. Weather forecasters often miss.
      2. 75% or more of the people that say they will show; won't.
      3. Some folks just are not made (equipped mentally and/or physically) for the outdoors...
      4. Laid back is often better than gung-ho.
      5. Preparation and experience works.
      6. Things rarely go completely as expected; be flexible.
      7. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Enjoy!
      These are great tips - I find that #6 is usually the most relevant!

Comment

I was not meant to backpack!!

I did it twice - 5th grade and again in 6th grade. School camping trips. They brought us by bus to the top of Marin Headlands and we had to carry our backpacks with gear all the way down the hill to a boondocking site near a beach on the ocean (just west of the Golden Gate Bridge). At the end of the weekend, we had to trek back up the hill to the bus. Loved the camping - HATED the hiking with all that gear.

On the upside, the 2nd year, my friend and I found a old cement foundation/bunker type thing. No roof, but sides about 2.5 feet high and an opening on one end. We laid one tarp inside the walls, and the other tarp over the top. Everyone was jealous of our "cabin".
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Hands down, the biggest lesson I've learned is to never camp in 2 feet of snow when rain and rising temperatures are expected.
          Story here

Comment

We can sleep well in a tent~:zzz:

Comment

Biggest lesson? Bigger isn't always better. And learn some bushcraft.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

When I was a young boyscout I was on a vamping trip when desaster struck. My canteen leaked and soaked my sleeping bag. I was sure I was doomed. Fortunately my dad was one of the scout leaders and when I told him my problem he checked the bag and told me to open it up and lay it over my pup twmt. Being in Arizona in the summer it dried in no time.

I learned not to panic. Every problem has a solution.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Do not light a match with a long manicured fingernail.
                  Nail polish even the clear variety burns.......
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                  X