Fire Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Safety

I have been thinking about this since my last trip. I went to Arizona's White Mountains for the first time and saw the aftermath of the Wallow Fire from 2011. It was the largest fire in Arizona's history. And while there is some new growth the scars from the fire 5 years ago are still everywhere.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160605_153419.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	72912
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160603_104836.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	72910Click image for larger version

Name:	20160603_095539.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	72911
    It was started by two cousins that were careless and unlucky. Not impossibly unlucky but just a little unlucky. They left for a hike thinking their campfire was out when it wasn't. It kicked back up and destroyed thousands of acres of forest.

http://www.abqjournal.com/125793/upd...llow-fire.html

I actually feel kind of bad for the guys. I know I would be crushed if my carelessness destroyed forest land. Seriously this could happen to anyone and IMO is a reminder of the importance of campfire safety.

So...with that beind said, here is a link to brush up on your fire safety skills https://smokeybear.com/en/prevention...ampfire-safety and I would encourage EVERYONE, both vetran and newbie, to check out that link and make sure your fire prevention skills are as tight as they can be.
    Last edited by James.; 06-25-2016, 09:19 PM.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Fire Safety

And of course, on our way back home they were fighting a brush fire on the side of the highway. The only thing I can think of that would have started that particular fire is a cigarette tossed from a car window.
    Last edited by James.; 06-25-2016, 09:21 PM.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Did they finally get the fire that was threatening show low out?

i carry 10 gallons of general wash water every trip. I usually end up using about 2-3 gallons for washing and the rest on the fire. If I ever fell I was short on water for the fire, I use the water from the melted ice in the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
        Did they finally get the fire that was threatening show low out?

i carry 10 gallons of general wash water every trip. I usually end up using about 2-3 gallons for washing and the rest on the fire. If I ever fell I was short on water for the fire, I use the water from the melted ice in the cooler.
        As of yesterday it was 50% contained.
        – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
        X