Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be a nice tent for my kids to go "camping" .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be a nice tent for my kids to go "camping" .....

on our backyard deck?

I obvious can't put (or want to) stakes into the deck. Maybe one of those "instant" tents. I just want it to blow away in a high wind.

BTW, 4 kids maybe with friends.

Thanx

Re: What would be a nice tent for my kids to go "camping" .....

I think any tent would work well for a backyard tent. Errrrr I spent a coupla years camping in a state park w/o guy-lining before the light and weather turned on. Make sure you stock up on s'more supplies!:glasses:
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Your garden variety, buy-'em-just-about-anywhere dome tents really don't need staking down. If wind does somehow become an issue, you could tie pieces of cord around the tent peg loops and wrap them around a brick or something heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Your garden variety, buy-'em-just-about-anywhere dome tents really don't need staking down. If wind does somehow become an issue, you could tie pieces of cord around the tent peg loops and wrap them around a brick or something heavy.
        I was going to suggest placing a heavy rock or brick on the inside corners of the tent (maybe on a small "interlocking mat section" so it doesn't tear the flooring...

You say "4 kids maybe with friends" - is that 4 kids at maximum if friends are joining in, or 4 kids at minimum and more if there are friends joining in?

If 4 max, then I'd go with one tent. If 4 kids at minimum, then I'd look at getting two tents instead of one. That way, when it's just your kids, you're not having to set up a massive tent. And with two tents, you can arrange them on the deck so they face each other and let them set up their "campsite" in the middle (camp chairs, campfire/stove, whatever it is you're going to let them have for their campout).
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I was going to suggest placing a heavy rock or brick on the inside corners of the tent (maybe on a small "interlocking mat section" so it doesn't tear the flooring...

You say "4 kids maybe with friends" - is that 4 kids at maximum if friends are joining in, or 4 kids at minimum and more if there are friends joining in?

If 4 max, then I'd go with one tent. If 4 kids at minimum, then I'd look at getting two tents instead of one. That way, when it's just your kids, you're not having to set up a massive tent. And with two tents, you can arrange them on the deck so they face each other and let them set up their "campsite" in the middle (camp chairs, campfire/stove, whatever it is you're going to let them have for their campout).
          That is a tough call. You make a good point but the kids aren't going to want to sleep in separate tents. Its just not as much fun.

Is there any reason you can't tie the guy lines to the deck? Maybe the railing?
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            That is a tough call. You make a good point but the kids aren't going to want to sleep in separate tents. Its just not as much fun.

Is there any reason you can't tie the guy lines to the deck? Maybe the railing?
            Not as much fun? When you and your buddy(ies) can sneak out of your tent and remove the poles from the other tent? When you can use a flashlight and make big scary shadows on their tent walls? There are just so many more opportunities to get some good nighttime scares with a second tent...
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

A couple of PVC pipes, some rope, and a tarp. Turn the deck into the tent.

David

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                Not as much fun? When you and your buddy(ies) can sneak out of your tent and remove the poles from the other tent? When you can use a flashlight and make big scary shadows on their tent walls? There are just so many more opportunities to get some good nighttime scares with a second tent...
                Good point. I agree. 2 tents.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by astrowolf67 View Post
                  A couple of PVC pipes, some rope, and a tarp. Turn the deck into the tent.

David
                  Best idea yet!
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                  X