Futon mattress for camping? Good or bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futon mattress for camping? Good or bad

We are hoping to go camping sometime this year before it gets to cold if not maybe next year. My question is my daughter had a full size futon which broke the mattress is still good,would this make a good sleeping bed for our two teenage daughters while tent camping?

Re: Futon mattress for camping? Good or bad

I've been sleeping on one for close to 25 years - been great, even with my bad back. But I wouldn't call them portable at all. They're bulky and heavy. Unless you drive an 18 wheeler or a dump truck, I wouldn't call them camping gear.

Comment

They are big, but you can buy single-sized (35 X 75") futons at Costco right now for around $ 49.00. We're using one for my daughter right now here in the"Glades and 'Keys, just hours away from Mousetown USA. They are bulky, but are about half the cost of a good self-inflating sleeping pad. As camping pads, they offer outstanding R-Values compared to big inflatables or cots.
      Last edited by tplife; 08-15-2016, 08:51 AM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Futons are often used in teardrop trailers. If you kept it from getting wet in the tent and have the room to haul it, it might be quite comfy.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Had to carry daughters queen futon to her room the other day, I don't think my idea was as good as I thought....it was heeaavvy and I'm not sure if I'd want to carry it around.

Comment

Working...
          X