ideas for a sleeping platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas for a sleeping platform

I am in need of a sleeping platform for extended camping. For example, if I plan to stay a week at one spot and have car access, I would like a platform that will raise my mattress to a comfortable height in a large tent. I want it to be relatively light and foldable for transport. Does such a thing exist or would I need to build one? I am thinking of something like the foldable aluminum camp tables.

Thanks

Alex

Re: ideas for a sleeping platform

Look at sleeping cots for one to fit your mattress.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by fralexis View Post
      I am in need of a sleeping platform for extended camping. For example, if I plan to stay a week at one spot and have car access, I would like a platform that will raise my mattress to a comfortable height in a large tent. I want it to be relatively light and foldable for transport. Does such a thing exist or would I need to build one? I am thinking of something like the foldable aluminum camp tables.

Thanks

Alex

Alex - "What is a Cot?"

Welcome to the Forum! Seriously, take a look online at camping cots. Soooooo many varieties in different sizes, heights, materials, weights, cost, etc etc. You should be able to locate something that will work for your situation.
      Last edited by a65hoosier; 08-15-2016, 05:49 PM.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

You'd need the room to carry it, but if you're in an SUV, or pickup truck or maybe even a minivan, a plywood platform is readily do-able. The details are kind of hard to explain in print, but I see it as having a 1/2-inch plywood top, hinged in the middle and framed by 1x3 or 1x4 lumber with 2x3 legs hinged pretty much like the legs on a folding banquet table. For somewhat easier portability, it could be made in sections to accommodate larger mattresses.

Comment

I agree with the others, you are definitely looking for a cot.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            Look at sleeping cots for one to fit your mattress.
            And I was too slow on the buzzer. lol
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Why go the easy route and buy a cot when you can go through the maddening routine of building a half dozen prototypes?

Comment

You will want to plan on adding a lot more mattress underneath (or a heater, electric blanket, etc.) to compensate for the empty air you're sleeping over. In a tent, your typical sleeping pad is on the ground, that transfers heat at a very slow rate. Once you elevate and raise it above on a cot or air mattress, you invite the cold to vacuum away your body heat. Plan on several times as much insulation and mattress material to go from an 0.75 R-Value to a thermo neutral 5.0 once you get up off the ground. We all find this out the "hard way", lol.
                Last edited by tplife; 08-15-2016, 09:01 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Why go the easy route and buy a cot when you can go through the maddening routine of building a half dozen prototypes?
                  Snert alert! Thanks for that response-I needed it .
                  Oh and for clarification "snert" is a citified manner of "snort"....fits nicely into my mother's definition of a lady.......

Loving your new siggy on sooooooo many levels.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    And I was too slow on the buzzer. lol
                    Ah, but I failed to answer in the form of a question...
                    :rules:

P.S. When did we get the adult smileys??
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                      Snert alert! Thanks for that response-I needed it .
                      Oh and for clarification "snert" is a citified manner of "snort"....fits nicely into my mother's definition of a lady.......

Loving your new siggy on sooooooo many levels.
                      X2 on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        Ah, but I failed to answer in the form of a question...
                        :rules:

P.S. When did we get the adult smileys??
                        Been there as long as I can remember.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Hmmm, I never noticed them before.

Comment

Working...
                          X