Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations on Storage Containers for Camping Gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on Storage Containers for Camping Gear?

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering what containers people use to store their camping gear? And whether they like or dislike it!

I've seen Rubbermaid plastic bins and higher-quality Plano and Pelican containers, but I wanted to see what you think about what makes a good storage container for my gear?

I'm currently using a cardboard box, so anything would help!

Thanks!

Re: Recommendations on Storage Containers for Camping Gear?

I think in general there are 2 parameters. Soft sided vs hard sided and waterproof or not. Which combination is best? It depends.

I mostly motorcycle camp and sometimes car camp. Until this year i carried camping gear in 2 or 3 heavy duty vinyl coated waterproof duffels which were strapped onto the back of the bike and exposed to the elements. It worked OK (from a gear carrying and organizing point of view). This year I got an enclosed cargo trailer to carry more stuff. Waterproof was not needed, and I used heavy duty cordura nylon duffels. It is easier to squish things together in the small space of the trailer with soft sided bags. I am happy with the system.

However, if I were only transporting camping gear by car, I would probably use plastic bins which stack better than duffels, although don't pack as densly. If I were only transporting gear in the back of a pickup, I would consider something more rugged like the Pelican containers for better weatherproofing and better security.

A cardboard box will do the job until you have to make or break camp in the rain. Then it could get wet and fall apart. I would also suggest to plan on "comfort creep" as your gear expands over time, and allow some degree of expandability in your packing system. Good luck!

Comment

Over a considerable period of time I have tried nearly every thing that I could think of, now I use different types containers for different things;
      stuff sacks, primarily for soft things.
      draw string bags for chairs and folding tables (keeps them from unfolding while packing and unpacking the vehicles)
      A military wet weather bag(rubberized stuff sack) for each sleeping bag & pillow (keeps them dry even in a semi open vehicle during moderately wet weather).

(Edit); I just transferred the tent to a medium (about 3 foot x 10" diameter) heavy canvas, side zippered duffel.. (your post activated some dormant brain cells). I'm always on the lookout for heavy canvass bags and duffels because they breathe and because they are tough and long lasting...

For stiff rolled things like rugs/carpet, I use some extra wide Velcro straps (Harbor Freight, not sure if they still carry these).
      For the rolled foam mattress I use an extra large zippered bag.
      For clothing each person gets one medium canvas zippered bag.
      For miscellaneous camping stuff (junk), and some things like rain gear; I use short (8" deep maximum) but relatively large totes (they have to fit/store under the cots)... in the past I had pretty good luck with plastic drawers from wally mart; I avoid deep totes as what ever you want is always buried at the bottom and a PITA to find and dig out...
      For food and drinks I use ammo cans; they are moderately critter (porkypines , raccoons, chipmunks, dogs etc. (haven't yet caught a bear trying one out)) resistant.
      A plastic milk crate keeps a 20 pound propane pig/tank from rolling around (mostly).
      (edit); Toilet paper is in one, or more of 3 types of container (purpose made TP container, antique now and I can't find another) a large Planter's peanut jar, or a 2 liter (can't find 3 liter) soda bottle (Remove center from TP roll, cut the soda bottle, capped end, to fit the roll, pull paper from center of roll out the cap end of the bottle (may have to remove some paper from the outside of the roll) insert roll into bottle, jam bottom end of bottle on and tape into place).

For a while I transported stuff in a military quartermaster's bag (very large heavy canvass trunk with compression straps) but it got too big/heavy/awkward...
      I do use several thick canvas zipper bags that someone told me were "pilot's bags" for a few things like tarps but these are seeing less and less use.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-14-2016, 12:25 PM. Reason: tent duffel, TP
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I'm a BIG fan of the Pelican Storm cases. They put a serious hurt on the wallet, but they're virtually unbreakable. Guaranteed for life (barring abuse, of course) The EPDM O-ring they use makes 'em seriously waterproof. Most of my gear goes in the back of a pickup truck and I've had lesser cases leak water when traveling through heavy rain. Discovered the Pelicans and now I won't buy anything else. I organize my gear within the Pelicans with the large Plano Stowaways without dividers. I now have one Pelican Storm case each for tools/electrical/pegs etc., food and cooking, and clothes. The handle and wheels on the larger cases also make 'em great for air travel. Plus, baggage handlers can bounce 'em around all they want - they aren't going to hurt 'em.

If you want a good rundown on the Pelican cases, OpticsPlanet has about the most detailed descriptions I've seen online - also the best average price. Not always the cheapest, but close.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/storm-cases-dry-boxes.html

Last edited by MacGyver; 09-15-2016, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Tent camping - I like the clear Sterilite containers. The 106 qt I use for firewood, dove chairs, backpacking tents etc. Dollar General has them.
          http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=180&section=1

And this wheeled one is great, too, as it is long but shallow.
          http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=180&section=1

Travel trailer - Walmart has these excellent Ziploc weathertight clear boxes that perfectly fit through the storage compartment doors of my travel trailer.
          https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-4-...x-Set/37299945

And, I love vintage clamshell suitcases. I can toss them in the pickup bed, in the backseat of the car, and store under my cot when tent camping or in the storage compartment of my travel trailer. My current favorite is Amelia Earhart luggage made in Baltimore around the time I was born. I have the red set in this ad.
          https://www.etsy.com/listing/2346765...=sr_gallery_33
          Last edited by actad; 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Everything is stored right in this.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	70647
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Honestly, it depends on what you are packing and what you are packing it in. I try to get containers that will keep the rain out just in case. What helps more is that you are well organized so things are grouped together. Don't keep your spices with the pillows. You don't need them at the same time or place. Don't put your grill with the rain gear. You may forget your grill if it isn't raining or you take a bunch of gear you don't need. Also, don't have one giant box that you end up digging through to find something. If you have plates, forks, spoons, spatulas, spices, cups, pots, pans, cutting board, aluminum foil, sandwich bags and paper bags all in one box you are going to constantly be digging for what you need. Best to use smaller bins.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

While not a fan of large hard cases for most things (in my experience they tend to be hard to locate small items in and accumulate junk as well as become excessively heavy)
                I have heard pretty good reports on these - wolf packs (except for the latches which I have heard can break sometimes https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...l-latches.html ); I will probably try them when the current (apparently no longer made) Sterite boxes give up. Sterite boxes seem to have a typical life in my relatively hard usage of 2 to 5 years, depending on what's inside before the bottoms develop cracks...
                https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...wolf-pack.html

The top looks hinged in this pic but I don't think they are; the ones I saw had latches on the both long sides.

(Edit finally found my current under cot totes;
                https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...Black/43393262
                couldn't find them on the sterite page.. In their 3rd season of use they are starting to show stress marks around the tops but they fit most stuff (extendable hot dog forks and svensaws are longer than many/most short containers. Given the price, I might just get some more and store them for later use...

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-17-2016, 10:01 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I keep my kitchen gear organized in a Sterilite I found at Walmart. Everything is further organized in its own plastic container. I just looked for containers of a certain size and shape to fit in the Sterilite. I customized the Sterilite by adding a permanent place for the plates, bowls, collapsible bucket, and cast iron pan. I used some plastic mesh I found at an art store to add dividers.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Never much of a fan of the hard-sized boxes due to their tendency to mar and scratch vehicle interiors during transport (mountain roads, desert off-road, graded fire roads), we use a Binto Bar box for our kitchen gear and some large and small zippered bags (made by many companies) for other gear. We do own one Pelican Case that we use for carrying speakers, but have also had success with a pair of small zippered bags used to carry sleep apnea products. A binto bar is really just a soft-sided chuck box with a food-prep top surface.

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

... grabbed a couple Sterite file crates a month or two ago at Wallymart

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=193&section=1
                      They seem to be on the light flexible side though...
                      ...filled one with the stereo and lamps/lighting and the other with the ethanol fireplace & fuel.

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-03-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I like the sterlite tubs the best, I think. They are inexpensive, and you can find see-through ones, and they are made in the U.S. I did buy a couple of their 'footlockers' which I have mixed feelings about. The plus side is they are large and have wheels, and are relatively shallow, so you can organize them efficiently. The negative is that they are not waterproof. I made waterproof covers for them because they ride in the back of the truck, but I would have preferred something that was made waterproof. However, they were less than $15 each, so I guess it's a wash.

Liz

2008​ FunFinder X​ 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 :D 153 Nights Camping this year
                        https://WackyPup.Blogspot.com"]Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive ModsWackyPup.Blogspot.com[/URL]
                        2008​Cruiser FunFinder X ​189FBR & 2014 FORD F150​ :D 153 Nights Camping this year
                        Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mod WackyPup.blogspot.com

Comment

We use some of the rubbermaid action packers. They are ok... I have found two problems with them. First, they are narrower at the bottom than at top, which means a lot of space is wasted when packing in vehicles. They are strong, but not strong enough for a 200# guy to stand on. I have also found that the 8 gallon size is much easier and convient to use than the 24 gallong size.

I will probably switch to milk crates, of build some wooden crates that are a convient size and are strong enough to stand on if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                            While not a fan of large hard cases for most things (in my experience they tend to be hard to locate small items in and accumulate junk as well as become excessively heavy)
                            I have heard pretty good reports on these - wolf packs (except for the latches which I have heard can break sometimes https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...l-latches.html ); I will probably try them when the current (apparently no longer made) Sterite boxes give up. Sterite boxes seem to have a typical life in my relatively hard usage of 2 to 5 years, depending on what's inside before the bottoms develop cracks...
                            https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...wolf-pack.html

The top looks hinged in this pic but I don't think they are; the ones I saw had latches on the both long sides.

Enjoy!
                            I use a few of these for camping supplies because they are pretty sturdy and fit perfectly in the back of my Jeep (or tied down to my roof rack). They have been great so far, hold up to my 230lbs standing on them when i want to reach the top of the aforementioned Jeep, and they are stackable which is always a plus. They also offer a "hi-top" lid for them that increases the height of the box by about 2.5". If you are worried about the plastic latches breaking, they also sell some metal latches for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                              ... grabbed a couple Sterite file crates a month or two ago at Wallymart
                              They seem to be on the light flexible side though...
                              ...filled one with the stereo and lamps/lighting and the other with the ethanol fireplace & fuel.

Enjoy!
                              You can grab 'em from behind the gas station too. and they are not light not flexible!
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X