No announcement yet.

Suggestions on a camping cooking grate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on a camping cooking grate?

We are going to be back at camping again!
    We used to have a pop-up and had it packed with all the fun stuff.
    We sold the camper when we moved.

Now we are going to go in tents, so I am trying to keep the gear reasonable.

I used to have a tripod grate that worked great.
    Also a tripod for the dutch oven.

I still have the tripod for the dutch oven.
    Wondering if I can get a grate to hang from it?

Or should I look for a folding grate that rests on the ground?
    Thaoughts?

Re: Suggestions on a camping cooking grate?

Hanging grates from a tripod does give you the flexibility of being able to adjust the heat by adjusting the height. They're also fairly easy to make out of an old charcoal grill grate and some chain and S-hooks from the local hardware store. But, unlike a folding grate that sits on the ground, they do swing while you're tending to what you're cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Hanging grates from a tripod does give you the flexibility of being able to adjust the heat by adjusting the height. They're also fairly easy to make out of an old charcoal grill grate and some chain and S-hooks from the local hardware store. But, unlike a folding grate that sits on the ground, they do swing while you're tending to what you're cooking.
      Couple more chains with S hooks would solve the swinging problem.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I'm a ground (or rock) supported grate fan myself... mine is on the small sized because I now cook for only one.
        I like the look of hanging grates and the adjustability but really appreciate the stability of a ground grate.

I have recently been looking at the fancy grates that swing around a post ; They would likely give the best of both worlds,; stability and adjustability... and would be a fair welding project...

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          I'm a ground (or rock) supported grate fan myself... mine is on the small sized because I now cook for only one.
          I like the look of hanging grates and the adjustability but really appreciate the stability of a ground grate.

I have recently been looking at the fancy grates that swing around a post ; They would likely give the best of both worlds,; stability and adjustability... and would be a fair welding project...

Enjoy!
          Do we have a drooling smiley? We need a drooling smiley.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            Do we have a drooling smiley? We need a drooling smiley.
            http://www.campfirecookers.com/produ...p-fire-cooker/
            ... for the non-welders amongst us... (no affiliation).

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-09-2016, 10:22 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Man - that is pricey! But, if I wanted to cook over fire, I'd probably get one eventually. That thing is SWEET!

Comment

Those are nice campfire cooking grates Happy Joe. Versatile.

I use a tripod grill. I kinda like the swinging grate under the tripod...makes it easier to rotate/spin my food over the coals evenly. I use vice grips to steady the grill to mess with/turn the food.
                Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-09-2016, 04:25 PM.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Man - that is pricey! But, if I wanted to cook over fire, I'd probably get one eventually. That thing is SWEET!
                  I'm with you. My first though was Holy Crap! Way to much! But after thinking about it for a bit. I think I would be able to make something similar but it would still cost about $100....or more.

The only thing I worry about is how to pull the main shaft out.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Looks kinda like the Cowboy Cookset I bought for my wife. And added to. And bought accessories for. All of which I no longer can fit in the truck on a family trip :-P
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      I'm with you. My first though was Holy Crap! Way to much! But after thinking about it for a bit. I think I would be able to make something similar but it would still cost about $100....or more.

The only thing I worry about is how to pull the main shaft out.
                      Probably not all that pricy; figure materials and at least an hour of time...$200 seems lit it might be hard to make ends meet on the production side.

Steel is cheap at the recycle yard (gotta shop, look for drop from the commercial shops)...

A hi-lift jack and a chain pulls posts really well (about all mine gets used for other than breaking tire beads loose from rims). Never take it camping though (some like them but the only time mine got used/borrowed some friends nearly injured themselves; operator error)...
                      If I were to make one including a handle and a step on the post and a step to help push it in might be a good idea.

I suspect that a tripod has some unseen advantages...

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-10-2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                        Probably not all that pricy; figure materials and at least an hour of time...$200 seems lit it might be hard to make ends meet on the production side.

Steel is cheap at the recycle yard (gotta shop, look for drop from the commercial shops)...

A hi-lift jack and a chain pulls posts really well (about all mine gets used for other than breaking tire beads loose from rims). Never take it camping though (some like them but the only time mine got used/borrowed some friends nearly injured themselves; operator error)...
                        If I were to make one including a handle and a step on the post and a step to help push it in might be a good idea.

I suspect that a tripod has some unseen advantages...

Enjoy!
                        We are on the same page. I figure it would cost me $100 minimum and it wouldn't look nearly as nice as theirs. I figure $200 is just about right. I was thinking of using rebar. it would be easy enough to bend around a shaft and weld onto a grate.
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Hello everybody. I was looking to mug for camping sites and found this an interesting thing.
                          Look for someone may be interested. Now it goes off, but it is limited in time so hurry.
                          https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=200971926992783&id=100012 399317872
                          Just cook the soup in a cup and it's delicious!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X