Free campsites and dispersed camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free campsites and dispersed camping?

I recently finished a 3 week camping trip across 19 states from California to Illinois to Georgia and back to California. It was an awesome trip covering 6,350 miles. I'm a tent camper and probably always will be. The biggest task during this trip was finding campgrounds. I used Allstays almost exclusively. Now, I know almost nothing about "dispersed" camping and/or free camping. Can someone please explain how and where to find them? I love being the only one at campgrounds.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Free campsites and dispersed camping?

Hi sallmike - sounds like a wonderful trip with great memories.

As for free/dispersed campgrounds, there are some near us, but one is not usually the only person at the campground. We did get some sites that had no near neighbors, though.You might try looking at power company webistes and national forest sites

We have been camping almost exclusively at a set of campgrounds within a reclaimed coal strip mine that covers parts of several counties in SE Ohio - AEP ReCreation Lands. It is quite lovely with wildfloweres, ponds/lakes, and third growth trees, The Buckeye Trail runs through it. There is water scattered throughout from hand pumps, no electric, no dump stations, and lots of great places for both tent and RV. No check in or check out times, and all sites are free.

Wayne National Forest in Ohio has dispersed sites in the lower half of the state, Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia has some $10 sites.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Free/dispersed Camping will vary by state
      most have similar regs
      in ny can camp in just about any state forest without a permit
      permit being required for stays longer than 3 nights
      some state forests also have roadside drive in sites that have no fees and no registration required
      usually just a clearing, fire pit and table
      they are usually very limited like 5 sites at a trailhead
      in pa no permit required for camping at state forest but some regions require a permit for overnight parking
      i would check each state you plan on camping in for their regs then contact local rangers to see if theres any local restrictions
      state camping websites usually guide you to organized pay sites
      really need to know regs to know where you can camp and how

Comment

I believe the rules for dispersed camping very by forest. Here in Arizona's National Forests I believe you can camp just about anywhere that is (I think) 150' from a road. They encourage you to use existing camp sites to limit disturbing the area. I am like you. I don't want to be around other people when I am camping. Of course there are no amenities when dispersed camping so you have to pack everything in, and more importantly, out.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just have to check state by state next time.

Camp anywhere? I'm sure there is still the 7-14 day limit to discourage living there for homeless people.

Comment

I will include a link to the USFS site. Select what state, forest or grassland you are looking for. Under that specific area, you should look under camping to see what is available.

http://www.fs.fed.us/
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by sailmike View Post

Camp anywhere? I'm sure there is still the 7-14 day limit to discourage living there for homeless people.
              once you know 1 states regulations, will understand others, they are mostly similar, with slight variations. out west there is alot more federal lands than east coast, would start with those lands first
              some may have different land names/designation, like state lands, state parks, state forest, game lands, wildlife refuge,

Comment

Originally posted by sailmike View Post

Yes but if you move camp every 2 weeks you are ok.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

since your in CA
                  can start here
                  http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...n/camping.html
                  thats a fed BLM site
                  out west there is more federal land,
                  as you travel further east its more state lands
                  federal lands out west tend to have 7-14 day limits
                  dont know about all states but in NY and PA its 3 night limit before requiring a permit
                  many times permit is no big deal just stopping in rangers office and picking it one up for a fee like $10
                  its also a good idea to let local ranger know regardless of whether a permit is required
                  if they know your in the area they are more inclined to do a driveby of parking area to check up on your and/or your vehicle
                  my biggest fear when camping for extended days in the bush is not the bears, wolves, critters
                  its worrying about condition of my car when i get back to the parking area
                  Last edited by terasec; 11-02-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

OOO, ooo!
                    James just hit 1000 posts!
                    ... not for long I bet...

Enjoy!
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      OOO, ooo!
                      James just hit 1000 posts!
                      ... not for long I bet...

Enjoy!

Hey, I did! Apparently it lasted for 4 days.....4 loooong days.

I also want to add that camping on Reservations (here in AZ) for any length of time requires a permit.
                      – E. B. White

Comment

I have developed a list of websites for free/cheap camping. USFS, ACOE, etc...you just have to spend some time with it.
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                          I have developed a list of websites for free/cheap camping. USFS, ACOE, etc...you just have to spend some time with it.
                          Where is it? Do you have it posted somewhere? I would appreciate seeing it

Liz
                          2008​Cruiser FunFinder X ​189FBR & 2014 FORD F150​ :D 153 Nights Camping this year
                          Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mod WackyPup.blogspot.com

Comment

I wrote to Allstays asking about an easier way to find those free and dispersed campgrounds. They wrote back and said that there is a setting to show only free and dispersed campgrounds. Problem solved!

i should add that the option is hidden in the advanced settings of the app.
                            Last edited by sailmike; 11-09-2016, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X