"Showering" with baby wipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Showering" with baby wipes

During a camping trip I "shower" with baby wipes before getting into my sleeping bag every night. It's a very effective way to stay clean when there are no showers around, but it generates trash. I'd like to find another method that doesn't use baby wipes. I don't have any interest in those solar showers. Does anybody have a better idea?

Re: "Showering" with baby wipes

If I camped where water didn't have to be carried in, I might give solar showers a try but, as it is, they don't work for me. Baby wipes, on the other hand, have got to be one of the best additions to my gear ever. They go into the fire when I'm done with them. Walmart carries a nice 24 pack of larger and thicker wipes, perfect for camping. As for other alternatives, the only thing I can think of is a washcloth in a ziplock bag and swabbing down with plain hot water. That's what I did before I thought to bring baby wipes.

Comment

Originally posted by sailmike View Post
      During a camping trip I "shower" with baby wipes before getting into my sleeping bag every night. It's a very effective way to stay clean when there are no showers around, but it generates trash. I'd like to find another method that doesn't use baby wipes. I don't have any interest in those solar showers. Does anybody have a better idea?
      When desert camping (unscented) baby wipes can help a lot.

Mostly I just do a limited wash up (morning and night); using soap and a wash cloth and a pint, or a bit more of water heated in a stainless bowl over a Trangia alcohol stove. In the morning I usually shave, too.

I tried a "solar shower" and they work though you have to be aware of how much water you have and they can actually be too hot.
      ...due to the limited water they don't work all that well for rinsing long hair; fount it best to wet hair and body then turn water flow off, soap & scrub, then rinse first head then the rest of the bod. A door mat or piece of carpet keeps you from standing in the mud.
      A tarp keeps others from going blind at the sight of my bod.

Enjoy!

(edit); A 2 gallon, or so, manual pump it up, garden sprayer with a kitchen sink spray nozzle/head makes a fairly good camping shower, I painted mine black for solar heating; (sorry someone borrowed it and it hasn't been returned, so no pics...)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-05-2016, 09:11 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I usually just use soap and wash cloth. I have tried the baby wipes but I like using something a little more substantial.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
        X