Laundry Pod review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Pod review

Tried out the Laundry Pod this camping season.

The price has gone down from when it was first introduced a few years ago. I bought mine for $60 and free shipping. I have been eyeing one for a while and the impetus was when my big house washer broke and I had to spend sweaty afternoon in a laundramat and it took ten days more to get the washer fixed.

I knew I wanted to take it camping, too, so it was not a big decision to buy it and continue to use it for our 3-4 day trips this season. It will really be nice when we can go out for longer trips next year.

I have been using this while camping in my travel trailer, so I have a bit more room to store it, but I would not hesitate to take it tent camping, too. It is a bit smaller than a five gallon bucket - which I also bring for other purposes and use to drain the water into from the pod. It has a built in drain hose and as it spins as part of the cleaning, the clothes end up getting pretty dry by the end.

I bring a bar of Zote soap to use with it, which can be used for other cleaning purposes as well, and takes up little room. It really cuts down on clothing items to bring - theoretically just need two of everything so one is drying on a clothes line and the other is on you.

The pod holds the clothesline, clothes pins, soap etc. when not in use. My trailer has a shower so I just keep it in there, but while I could wash clothes there and drain it in the gray tank, it is easier to use the campsite picnic table and drain it in the bucket and empty the bucket in the waste water containment system in the campground- not all campgrounds have this feature, but the state parks and reclaimed strip mines where we normally camp do have them.This also keeps the gray tank from filling up.

There are plenty of You Tube videos out there on how it sets up and works. What I like is to put in the clothes (holds one outfit, or a few towels), add a gallon or so of water, and a little bit of soap, spin for about two minutes - the spinning is similar to using a salad spinner - and walk away and let the items soak. I have waited for as little as 15 minutes and as long as the next day to soak, and go back and spin it dry while draining into the five gallon bucket. I do two rinses, which each take about a minute of spinning. As with the wash cycle, I can walk away in between each step and do something else.

So, about six minutes of spinning, and a couple of minutes to fill and drain three times. I suppose if I stood there and did it start to finish it would get tedious, but each step can be done in between doing something else such as while I am boiling water for a cup of tea. I like having everything already washed when we get home except for the last day's clothes and dish towels.

Laundry Pod:
    https://www.wayfair.com/The-Laundry-...FQgJaQodLIYIpA

Zote soap (I just rub the bar on the clothes. I get mine at Big Lots):
    http://www.happypreppers.com/zote.html
    Last edited by actad; 11-07-2016, 03:33 PM.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Re: Laundry Pod review

How does it compare with a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger with holes? ...(realizing that the bucket does not have a spin cycle).

For me so far its a toss up between the Plunger (with holes) & bucket
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqYz2WEfRQ
    and the "wonder wash"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUVR2vjRJRo
    https://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Alter...ds=wonder+wash
    both work but the bucket & plunger is cheaper, a bit more versatile and slightly more work.

I don't even consider bringing laundry supplies for trips less than about a week or so; only when the big tent is going to be needed, does the laundry get consideration.

How does Zote soap compare with Ivory soap flakes (bar + cheese grater)?

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-08-2016, 05:59 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The Amazon reviews for the Laundry Pod were enough to make me instantly rule them out as a viable option. Not being able to handle a single pair of jeans = too small. If I was looking for an alternative, I'd go with the 5 gallon bucket or, better yet, a 7 gallon bucket and the plunger setup. Maybe even the bucket and one of these doohickies:

(Click image for info)

Comment

I'm considering making life easy by hooking up The Pod with my Prius' belt drive...as soon as I can find it in there under the hood.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Good questions, and ones that I had, too. I am an out of shape senior. The Laundry Pod is very easy for me to crank, It is a circular horizontal motion versus the up and down motion of the Breathing Machine plunger type, so I can put more of my upper body into cranking it instead of just my arms. Depending on the picnic table, I can put it on the bench while cranking as that is a good height for me - I am five foot tall, so the table top might be better for a taller person. Cranking slowly gives better cleaning than cranking fast, which is a plus for me. I don't need to break a sweat to use it.

The biggest draw for me was that it spins most of the water out versus wringing out the items in a five gallon bucket. If I was going to use the bucket, i would get two and cut holes in one to use as a strainer with the second one and twirl from a tree to get all the water out. But that is a lot of work. The Pod is pretty low key - I just put stuff in it and spin it occasionally when I walk past it.

For the short trips, I really don't need to do laundry. I am just used to doing laundry nearly every day anyway. I wash up the previous day's clothes and towels in between other things that I do while camping . It is less that I have to do when I get home.

The Zote bar at 14 ounces is huge and I pay .99 at Big Lots. I use it over Ivory mostly because of getting a bigger bar for a comparable price and it does well on stains. A Fels Naptha bar is another good option. If you are already bringing a bar of Ivory anyway to wash with, then use it. You can use regular laundry soap, too. A teaspoon or tablespoon of liquid laundry soap is all that is needed.
          Last edited by actad; 11-08-2016, 06:38 PM.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
          X