My new Rooftop Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Rooftop Tent

Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted to share my new camping set up. I did some searching and couldn't find too much on RRT's. I picked up this James Baroud hard shell rooftop tent, I have it on an adjustable Thule bed rack. The tent has a 75mph wind rating, 100% uv protection which will keep the tent cooler in high heat climates, and its 100% water proof.
    Don't hesitate to ask some questions, and let me know what you guys think !
    Attached Files

Re: My new Rooftop Tent

I see more and more of these; RTTs seem to be one of the the quicker set up/break down, tent types.
    ...they seem especially suited to those that camp to sleep during road trips.
    ... always wondered if many dogs would/could be taught to, climb and descend the ladder.
    RTTs' popularity shows they are great for some folks' camping style.

Do you use jacks to keep the truck suspension from moving when you roll over at night or a high wind comes along while you are sleeping?

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-11-2016, 08:33 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Yes this tent set up takes all of 45 seconds and closes in about a minute and 45 seconds. I know of many guys who bring there dogs with them in the tent, i think most are carrying the dogs up the ladders...The vehicle doesn't move much. if it does its not like you'll get sea sick.
      I love the feed back though!

Comment

We looked at those with envy when we had a lifted 4X4, but many of the campsites we prefer put you away from your parking space in some manner or fashion. We went with High-$ tents instead that we can put deep in the woods, away from the parking spaces. For dispersed camping, this would be a good option in my opinion, and a lot less expensive than a slide-in. I'm envisioning a pulley and hoist system to place it up in the rafters of the garage, LOL.
        Last edited by tplife; 11-11-2016, 11:34 AM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I have never seen one before. Pretty cool
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

New to me too...I just use my truck bed cap.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Absolutely awesome tent! I really love those as they seem to be very convenient. I realize that they probably cost quite a lot, however it's one of the greatest thing to have for camping. I also like the fact that you still have a lot of space in your bed to load luggage. As far as I know there are tonneau covers that can be installed even with the bed rack on. By the way are you looking to install something like this?
              Such roof top tents are more common for SUVs (at least from what I've seen online and at the shops). For my 04 F150, I'd probably get a bed tent like this: https://www.carid.com/napier/sportz-truck-tent.html

Comment

..Tried (made) pickup bed tents; afterward figured out that, pickup bed camping was not a good fit for me.
                Other folks, however, have different likes, needs, desires...

Use what works best for YOU!

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-24-2016, 07:44 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

That's an awesome hard shell tent. Been looking into roof top tents myself. iKamper seems to have a couple nice options including a hard shell. The link I included points to about a half-dozen or so options.

Comment

Working...
                  X